More Me/Bf-109 than fingers and toes but no decent La-7?

Otakar

I doubt Cold War prejudice has much to do with it, at least nowadays, where a good many modellers grew up without any USSR.

It’s more about who has the money, where they are and what movies, books or history they are exposed to. Most model-money is in Western Europe/North America/Downunder. Many tend to build models of «their» side AND of the side of «their» enemies - thereof all the 109s and Zeroes alongside Spitfires and Mustangs*. I believe Russian subjects are more popular in e.g. Finland for the same reason as 109s are popular in Western Europe. Although I’m sure some have issues with making bad-guy models - or «loser models» as mentioned - that is obviously not a plausible reason considering the amount of models of Nazi planes.

*) Germany is a special case: de-Nazification has made them feel the Western allies are “their” mental side 😛

And finally let’s not forget the morbid fascination with Nazis that exist in the West, and the endless plethora of different camoflague schemes the Germans produced.

I agree 110% with everything stated. We all have our favorites. I would hope that "favorites" we all possess, have a certain amount of "cool" factor to each and every one of us. I believe that the La-# series of aircraft possess that "cool" factor. Since the La-7 was the last REAL fighter since the La-9 was just a postscript. That it would be high on many peoples list. Someone from a Czech website provided me with this link http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_20235.html it is a tremendous amount of work. I was thinking about it but figured I would just finish the Gavia kit instead of throwing it into the trash. If some decent manufacturer do not pick up this subject in the next year or two I will definitely consider doing it. I think that a kit from Zvezda or ICM would be an ultimate. so far I have not received a reply of any kind from either. But it is still is quite early. The irony is that if I would have not put so much work and time into the cockpit of the Gavia kit, I would have thrown it away for sure in mid build. You can still follow my build here. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127351 For what ever it is worth. I am attempting to make some small fixes as I go along but they are just a "fart-in-the-wind" compared to the real mistakes. 

• Like 1

I checked out your link by the way, looks ok to me. I hope you will post some photo’s of it when you are finished.

20 hours ago, Otakar said:

But it is not a total impossibility since we live close to each other.

Just a side note, my friend moved away from Chicago for his job many years ago. So no need to worry on that issue. 

OK I am now considering on really kitbashing the Zvezda La-5 with one of my remaining Gavia 7 kits. That link really got me thinking.

Anyone ever wonder if some of these kit reviewers are paid off for their reviews? I have now been working on my Gavia La-7 for about a week and five days now, and not just an hour or two a night either. Not to mention any names but they  list themselves as "The Finest Review Site on the Web: Since 1995 Celebrating 23 years on-line" Supposedly this reviewer had his finished in one night and painting the next day. I am still filling and sanding gaps that were worse than the stuff I have found on the "short run" kits by HiPM. Some of the wing-to-to-fuselage joints I have had to fill and sand two to three times. A kit that I was hoping I could have finished in two or three days has now taken me almost two weeks. Granted, I have spent about four days on the cockpit but that still leaves over a week on the "straight forward" kit. He actually called it "this well-designed kit is an obvious fall-together slammer" and "well-designed and close to a shake 'n' bake project". Yes those are exact quotes. At one time I have respected and paid heed to these reviews but no more. The old ICM Spits, Mustangs and such are MUCH MUCH better than this thing ever could hope to be.

I have had a response back from ICM and it looks positive. Zvezda was blunt but not so positive. Roden I have had no news from yet. I mad no attempt with Eduard. Their plate is way too full I am sure and the kit would be twice the price as the Zvezda or ICM kits. The ICM Spits and mustangs were/are nice (for their age) Unbelievably this same reviewer gave the spitfire a very poor review. I know that he is getting paid for his reviews, one way or another. If you reed TC's reviews of the ICM Spitfire and the Gavia La-7, to me it appears like he reversed them. I 98% disagree with almost all he wrote. Anyone else have had the same experiences with these reviews? I have about 10 (maybe more) ICM spitfires and will at some point build all of them. These kits are only $9 which makes them 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Eduard "weekend" kit depending on where you buy it.   

• Thanks 1

I have been studying photographs of the La-7 and found that many of them have different shaped panels in the wing to fuselage joint area. Especially behind the exhausts. This means that there will not be such a thing as write or wrong. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Otakar said:

I have been studying photographs of the La-7 and found that many of them have different shaped panels in the wing to fuselage joint area. Especially behind the exhausts. This means that there will not be such a thing as write or wrong. 

Same thing on the La-5FN, if I remember correctly.

John

• Like 1

I guess that might depend on the factory it cam from or batch#. These were mostly wood aircraft and that would only make sense. That is just fine with me.

I have my Gavia abomination all put together and filled in the big gaps that I had between the wing and fuselage. All sanded down and ready for painting tomorrow and this weekend. I dis a compilation of canopies on this. The front is a Taurus for a La5FN the middle s a Squadron for the Gavia and the aft is the original kit part. I just couldn't stand the "picture window" that the Gavia canopy has. The front armor glass is just enormous on the gavial kit. I wish I would have caught it sooner because I would have used the upper gun cover from one of my La-5Fn kits. The blisters on the Gavia kit are about two or three times the size they are supposed to be. I might still do a Gavia/Zvezda kit-bash to make a nicer representation. I also replaced the trim tabs on the wings because the ones on the gavial kit were too small and I fixed the upper rudder shape also because it was wayyyyyy too pointy.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 1:16 AM, John Thompson said:

While the Eduard 1/72 La-7 isn't perfect, I'm not aware of any glaring shape problems (the oil cooler housing isn't great, mind you), nor am I aware of a 1/72 La-7 from Gavia.

There are, actually, quite a few, I'm afraid.

I have made these observations regarding its accuracy:

• Landing gear legs are too long. Shortening them (as well as their covers) is an easy fix, preventing the model from looking like a caricature
  • Front panel of the windscreen is too wide. I solved this with a spare windscreen from KP kit. Most vac replacements (Pavla, Rob Taurus, etc) also replicate this
  • Front of cowling (part No. 32 and/or 43) is too short and blunt. It needs a circular styrene insert at the back and reshaping. Unfortunately, KP part is narrower and can't be used as a replacement, although it has better shape
  • Spinner is a bit off (should have a subtle double curve). There is a replacement made by SBS Model, but I chose to correct mine on a lathe (not a difficult fix). Or you can find a spare from KP kit
  • This kit is a down-scaled Gavia/Eduard 1/48th scale model, which has received some criticism for rear fuselage being too narrow. But I don't think this is noticeable in 72nd...

I believe most of these mistakes are made because the kit is based on plans from MBI book, which show all these errors (when compared to photos).

The Steelworks 1/72 upgrade set corrects issues with the fuselage, and i'ts a simple fix if you are not into plastic surgery. 
For an even longer discussion on this kit than my mini-rant here, please have a look at THIS topic.

Regards,
Aleksandar

• Like 3

Since the Gavia 1/48 kit is so bad than just avoid any kit subject matter associated with it. You might be better off with the KP kit. As much as I like the MBI books the drawing in the La-7 book is all wrong. The drawing in the La-5 book is however very good. For decent drawings of any kind you are much better going here.  http://www.airwar.ru/other/drawe.html They have three different sets of drawings on the La-7. Some better than others.  There are three 1/72 kits that I am aware of besides the Eduard kit. The old Frog which is now ARK models. KP, and Hobby Boss which has a single piece fuselage. I have always liked the old Frog and the KP kits.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

It seams like Kovozavody Prostejov is already working on a NEW tool La-7 in 1/72 scale for next year release. Please be aware that the NE Kovozavody Prostejov is not the old one which than changed name to KP. The old @Name was purchased a few years ago and is doing new tools in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48. Some of the 1/48 scale stuff was integrated directly from Smer with some new tooling added to them. https://www.kovozavody.cz/cs/ I own their 1/144 La-5 kits and they are extraordinarily well detailed for their diminutive size. I also have a bunch of their new 1/48 kits and they are very nice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, warhawk said:

• This kit is a down-scaled Gavia/Eduard 1/48th scale model, which has received some criticism for rear fuselage being too narrow. But I don't think this is noticeable in 72nd...

Regards,
Aleksandar

I think that's because the 1/72nd scale kit doesn't have as narrow a rear fuselage as the 1/48th. If you scale down the 1/48th rear canopy it would be approximately 1.5mm narrower than the 1/72nd one.

• Like 1

Actually on the Gavia 1/48 kit the rear canopy is only about 1mm too narrow than what it should be. The rear canopy on the La fighters was a lot narrower than the main canopy. The Zvezda canopy is right on the La-5 and it is 1mm wider than the Gavia canopy. I was almost able to use the canopy from the La-5FN on the La-7. But the fuselage is so far off on the La7 that there would have to have been other changes made.

Here is a pretty decent image of the aft canopy. I have a better one but I don't feel like putting it on Photobucket and wasting my limited space.

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Otakar said:

Actually on the Gavia 1/48 kit the rear canopy is only about 1mm too narrow than what it should be. The rear canopy on the La fighters was a lot narrower than the main canopy. The Zvezda canopy is right on the La-5 and it is 1mm wider than the Gavia canopy. I was almost able to use the canopy from the La-5FN on the La-7. But the fuselage is so far off on the La7 that there would have to have been other changes made.

If the Zvezda kit is correct, then yes I agree, but I was just pointing out the fact that the 1/72 kit rear canopy is a lot wider than the 1/48th one ( and a little wider than the Zvezda kit ).

I would agree with that. Most likely something like the  Hobby Craft 1/48 canopy. It is ridiculous.  Take a look at the Kovozavody Prostejov 1/72 La-5FN and see what you think. If it is any good in your eyes, you might be able to kitbash something.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Lavochkin-La-5FN-Aces.html

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/4/2019 at 12:46 PM, warhawk said:

There are, actually, quite a few, I'm afraid.

I have made these observations regarding its accuracy:

• Landing gear legs are too long. Shortening them (as well as their covers) is an easy fix, preventing the model from looking like a caricature
  • Front panel of the windscreen is too wide. I solved this with a spare windscreen from KP kit. Most vac replacements (Pavla, Rob Taurus, etc) also replicate this
  • Front of cowling (part No. 32 and/or 43) is too short and blunt. It needs a circular styrene insert at the back and reshaping. Unfortunately, KP part is narrower and can't be used as a replacement, although it has better shape
  • Spinner is a bit off (should have a subtle double curve). There is a replacement made by SBS Model, but I chose to correct mine on a lathe (not a difficult fix). Or you can find a spare from KP kit

I believe most of these mistakes are made because the kit is based on plans from MBI book, which show all these errors (when compared to photos).

The Steelworks 1/72 upgrade set corrects issues with the fuselage, and i'ts a simple fix if you are not into plastic surgery. 
For an even longer discussion on this kit than my mini-rant here, please have a look at THIS topic.

Regards,
Aleksandar

@warhawk Hello Aleksandar,

Thank you about this summary! I have the Eduard Dual Combo set stashed for over a decade and plan to build it next. I was aware of the issues you mentioned but I am not sure how to fix some of them.

Did you use the canopy from the old (1973) KP model? I believe Master/Mistercraft is that old kit repackaged and I was thinking about getting a couple to use as donors.

How much do you need to cut off from the undercarriage legs and covers to get them to a proper size?

Lastly, do you have the American scale plans mentioned in the thread that you linked? They are no longer available there. I would love to fix the short nose issue but I only have the MBI volume on the La-7 and by now I am aware that the scale plans there are off.

Sorry to bombard with so many questions, благодаря / thank you!

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I corrected the obsolete links to the Aero Album Josef Krybus drawings on the Sovietwarplanes forum, so they're visible again.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2003.msg16457#msg16457

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

@warhawk Hello Aleksandar,

Thank you about this summary! I have the Eduard Dual Combo set stashed for over a decade and plan to build it next. I was aware of the issues you mentioned but I am not sure how to fix some of them.

You're welcome, Ventsislav, glad to be of help!

Did you use the canopy from the old (1973) KP model? I believe Master/Mistercraft is that old kit repackaged and I was thinking about getting a couple to use as donors.

I used a spare windshield from the oldest box available

spacer.png

How much do you need to cut off from the undercarriage legs and covers to get them to a proper size?

Still haven't got to the landing gear, so I don't know precisely. (This is one of my oldest 'shelf of doom' projects)

Lastly, do you have the American scale plans mentioned in the thread that you linked? They are no longer available there. I would love to fix the short nose issue but I only have the MBI volume on the La-7 and by now I am aware that the scale plans there are off.

I do, as well as some newer ones drawn by a Russian guy, Drop me Your e-mail in the PM, and I'll send all of those to You, as well as some pics of other builds that corrected the nose.

Regards,

Aleksandar

• Like 1

La-7 isn´t probably popular in Russia too. Zvezda makes a decade ago an excellent kit´s of  La-5F and La-5FN... - but not an La-7... and both "five" ignored in small scale. La-7 is aircraft with relative short operation history, in USSR was shortly after war re-placed with full metal La-9 and first generation of jets (as Yak-15/23 and MiG-9)... I don´t think it is a "milking cow" for scale kits producers... La-5 family and LaGG La-3 yup (now may be released new by any eastern company)  but La-7 not... I have in my stash La-7 from Eduard (ex-Gavia) and for me it is a good kit. (They operational service in Post-War Czechoslovakia is very short, because build quality was poor,  and in combat used CZ pilots in Eastern front La-5FN...) So, i don´t think  any company make new qurter scale La-7 in short time...  Why ? Yak´s family or LaGG was more interested (many colourful camos with patriotics slogans and emblems, many famous aces,  in LaGG an captured Finnish AF too...)

No, La-7 isn´t good choice for new tool kit 😕... 

Forgive my ignorance but what's wrong with the Hobbyboss easy-build kit? I put it together a few years back and apart from the cockpit detail (or rather lack thereof) it builds up very well into a good-looking model.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1