More Me/Bf-109 than fingers and toes but no decent La-7?

Otakar

There are more Me-109s out there than you have fingers and toes (and any other digits you have) but no decent La-7. The Academy, Hobby Craft one is a toy at best and the Gavia is dimensionally quite a bit off in many respects. I was thinking of kit-bashing  one from the Gavia and Zvezda la-5FN, but that would be quite a bit of work. Since Zvezda has such a fantastic La-5FN why not just go into the old CAD model and do the required changes to make the La-7? I am working on my Gavia kit and am frustrated that it is sooooooo far off. There is no excuse for it since there is one sitting at the museum in Prague. Eduard would be nice but they are so loaded up with planned projects that we would not see one for a decade. I don't trust Trumpeter/Hobby Boss at all for a decent kit, however I believe that Zvezda or maybe even ICM could put out one that would be just as good. Would anyone else like to see an La-7? There are so many cool schemes it can be done in.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, well, welcome to the reality of VVS modelbuilding, in any scale. At least in 1/72 we have a reasonably good La-7, thanks to Eduard. On the other hand, 1/48 has very good kits of the Yak-9DD and Yak-1b from Modelsvit, while these aircraft are very poorly represented in 1/72. It just seems that there's limited interest in Russian WWII aircraft in the "West", so therefore, limited sales prospects. This is regardless of how colorful and attractive the markings and camouflage schemes of these aircraft may be, or of the heroism of their pilots. I've been hoping for something better for 20 - 30 years, but improvements have been few and far between. All I can say is, don't give up!

John

• Like 3

I model in 1/48 and agree that there are actually some good Yak kits out there. The nice thing about the late Russian aircraft is that they were used by quite a few other countries after the war. Both east and west of Russia. I am building mine in Czech colors post war but I do like one or two of the schemes on the early Yak-5s and even the LaGGs were cool. The Brits are justifiably so proud of their "wooden wonder" but most people do not realize how many of them the Russians had. Including the La-5s and La-7.

• Like 1

I am not one for "social media" I don't have a "web page" of any kind but I did post a "suggestion" on Facebook for Zvezda. At one time they had a public website you could go to, but they must have taken that down. I can't find it anywhere. I think that I might go to the ICM website and post a "suggestion" there also. In my opinion, those are the best two candidates for this subject. There are people who do not like the ICM Spitfire IX, but I am not one of them. I actually like the kit very much. The inaccuracies are actually quite simple to fix and it is 1/3 the price as Eduards and 1/2 the price of Airfix (I do like the Airfix Spits and buy one every time a new one comes out, obviously we are not talking about a IV). I myself like the ICM kits altogether. I think with modern technology that they would put out quite a nice La-5FN.

• Haha 1

I agree that we need a good La-7 and hopefully we will get one from Zvezda or Modelsvit or I think it would be a good kit for Wingsy to produce.

Unfortunately VVS aircraft just don't seem to sell as well as Britsh, US, German and Japanese aircraft, despite the large number of them used in WWII.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Yes, well, welcome to the reality of VVS modelbuilding, in any scale. At least in 1/72 we have a reasonably good La-7, thanks to Eduard. On the other hand, 1/48 has very good kits of the Yak-9DD and Yak-1b from Modelsvit, while these aircraft are very poorly represented in 1/72. 

John

Isn't the Eduard 1/72nd scale kit the Gavia kit, which shares the same shape problems as the 1/48th scale Kit?

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Isn't the Eduard 1/72nd scale kit the Gavia kit, which shares the same shape problems as the 1/48th scale Kit?

While the Eduard 1/72 La-7 isn't perfect, I'm not aware of any glaring shape problems (the oil cooler housing isn't great, mind you), nor am I aware of a 1/72 La-7 from Gavia.

John

Edited by John Thompson

The 1/48 La-7 from Eduard is the old Gavia kit. No changes have been made. I have two of them and am working on one right now. The wing is fine but the fuselage shape is all wrong. The fuselage profile is too narrow toward the belly. The belly line toward the tail is much too straight. There should be much more curve in it. The issue is the exact opposite of what the issue is with the Airfix Spit XIV. The Zvezda La-5FN has a good shape. When you put the two side by side, the issue is obvious. Since I started this one I will finish it. But will not build any more until a new one comes out. It is bound to happen. Hopefully sooner than later. If you wish to follow my build, you can go here. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127351 The title is the same  as here but translated to Czech. The reason I don't want to do a build thread here is because the picture posting here is too much of a hassle.

• Like 1

Personally id like to build a few WW2 Soviet types. But i feel as if I'm in the minority here in the U.S.. I know the heroism of the Soviets, and the price that they paid fighting the Germans. Its what happened post war that soured a lot of model builders. Because of the cold war not many wanted to build models of soviet aircraft. I have a friend to this day refuses to build “Losers” aircraft. He wont build Luftwaffe WW2 nor Soviet because they both lost in his eyes. The Germans lost WW2 and the Soviets the Cold war. I have a feeling that attitude exists more than some would care to admit. Ironically he has built a modern Sukhoi from the late 1990’s but thats as close as he ever got to building Soviet aircraft. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I am Czech and build aircraft I can build in Czech markings. Same as I build US aircraft which I can build in Marines markings. You won't see me building an F-15 for example, or an F-104. But there are exceptions to every rule. I for example will build an SR-71 and a F-107 same as I will build a Ju-88. But that is because those are extremely attractive aircraft. I also do not like German aircraft except the ones the Czechs flew after the war, or Japanese aircraft. But a Zero on floats is just too cool. But I can count these exceptions on one hand. Possibly with an extra finger or two from the other. The Russian aircraft are also limited pretty much to ones used by the Czechs after the war. I think that the MiG-19F is one of the most attractive jet fighters designed. Once again in Czech markings. You wont see me building a MiG-25 or Su-27 for example. However an Su-7 and Su-22 for sure I have in my plans. Once again in Czech Markings. This is saying a lot since I have around 600 kits or so in my stash. Being Czech, you would figure that I dislike the Russians as much as the Germans, but you would be wrong. The Russians I can excuse because in most cases they were uneducated primitives and you could not expect much from them politically. I can give them a pass. But the Germans were educated and intelligent people in the majority. The SS had the highest amount of PHDs in it. So for the Germans there is no excuse. But that is the same as I will not drive a German or Western Pacific rim cars. I drive British and American. But if there are not things made here in the US than there are no other choices. For me it is political also. I will not support the EU economy with the exception of the UK. But I think they are officially out now anyway. 

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

"I have a friend to this day refuses to build “Losers” aircraft. He wont build Luftwaffe WW2 nor Soviet because they both lost in his eyes. The Germans lost WW2 and the Soviets the Cold war. I have a feeling that attitude exists more than some would care to admit." 

Dennis

Now, I am not quite sure how to understand that line of thought. Are we to presume that he would like the Russians more if they would have WON the Cold War? I think that train of thought would require some Psychiatric analysis. I personally think that he should "rethink" his line of thinking. Besides the Russians were on the winning side of "The Great Patriotic War. We just call it WWII. Personally I think it should have been called WW-1.5. And the Japanese, even though they last that war, they got the best part of the deal, post war.

1 hour ago, Otakar said:

Are we to presume that he would like the Russians more if they would have WON the Cold War? I think that train of thought would require some Psychiatric analysis.

I agree but everyone has there foibles. 

59 minutes ago, Otakar said:

Besides the Russians were on the winning side of "The Great Patriotic War. We just call it WWII.

I personally agree 110%, i have a P-39, P-63, & Hurricane in VVS markings. I plan on many more builds of both soviet & lend lease aircraft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Thompson said:

Yeah, Dennis, I kind of suspected that politics might have something to do with it, but I didn't want to come right out and say it.

John

I didn't mean to take it to a political argument/discussion. Its just a sad fact that some still hold the prejudices of yesteryear. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Thompson said:

While the Eduard 1/72 La-7 isn't perfect, I'm not aware of any glaring shape problems (the oil cooler housing isn't great, mind you), nor am I aware of a 1/72 La-7 from Gavia.

John

My mistake I thought I had a Gavia boxing of the kit, but it's Eduard's boxing. It doesn't help trying to remember these things when the 1/48th scale Gavia kit is in a smaller box than the 1/72nd scale Eduard kit!

I’ve got a whole stash of models ready for the VVS.

Soviet and lend lease.

Definitely a niche that no company(with a direct focus)has ventured much into which imo is a blunder.  It’s like an untapped resource.  

ICM and Zvezda have in my eyes been the only ones really to dip their toes in the water so to speak.  Xuntong seems to be focusing on Soviet bombers which is great to see but I mean when is Tamiya going to make the great prop planes of the Soviet arsenal aside from the flying tank?

The demand has to be there.  I mean even if they added a decal set as a special release.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Thompson said:

While the Eduard 1/72 La-7 isn't perfect, I'm not aware of any glaring shape problems (the oil cooler housing isn't great, mind you), ….

John

John, please have a look at the spinner in the Eduard 72 kit.

It seems to resemble the Kremlin Tower.

• Haha 1

I always thought that the Kovozavody Prostejov were nice kits. I know their shape accuracy is quite good even though some of those kits are quite vintage. In my eyes, they still make a nice 1/72 scale kit. Especially for the price.

3 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

John, please have a look at the spinner in the Eduard 72 kit.

It seems to resemble the Kremlin Tower.

Sorry - yes, you're right. SBS, Quickboost, and Zebrano all make resin corrections for it, so something must be wrong with it!

John

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

He's a born & bred American, and he is 52 years old. 

So he has no excuse for any prejudices. He is too young for the big war Vietnam, and just barely old enough to see the end of the Soviet Union. I bet he drives a Japanese car. LOL

Edited by Otakar
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

He's a born & bred American, and he is 52 years old. 

He and I would not get along. LOL

• Like 1