Curtiss Hawk P-36 from 1/72 Airfix P-40B?

phat trev

How much effort would converting the 1/72 P-40B into an earlier P-36? I have the engine cowl parts from an old revell P-36 (probably this kit?) and wondering if it simply a graft of the engine?? 

Hoping for advise :)

The undercarriage doors are different with a single larger cover on the P36 and the tailwheel doors are different. There are also changes to the undersides of the wing and fuselage. Wing Gun arrangements can also vary. 

• Like 1

A while back I had the same idea, but with the Airfix P-40B and the P-36 from Směr/Heller.
In the end I bought the AZ kit. It matches up pretty well to the plans in the link that ClaudioN posted, although the trailing edge of the elevators looks a bit too rounded.

The old Monogram P-36 is still widely available, often dirt cheap.  If you want to spruce it up, Starfighter Decals make a nice resin upgrade set that includes a cockpit and wheel wells.

SN

• Like 1

There is also the tail wheel bulge on P36, the diameter of this tail wheel is smaller(10" instead 12.5),

diameter of main wheels is 27" instead 30" and the cutout of stabilizer/elevator is more forward.

The headrest, the keel fairing are different.