C-5A Galaxy - Now finished.

Jabba

For this GB I will be using the Roden C-5B kit to make a C-5A that was used during the Gulf War of 1990-91. I have been told that there are no real differences externally between the two versions so that is why I am using this kit. I will be using the Caracal decals for this build, with an aircraft from the 105th airlift wing from New York ANG. I have found pictures of this aircraft from around the time period and it does not seem to have the tail stripe and the legend that is just behind the flight deck, so that is how I am going to build it.

The Kit.

resized_1ca5ebee-c01a-43e4-846b-5115168f

resized_b3aa3480-de34-49d2-86c1-8bfa05f2

resized_5d7010e7-2187-4e5c-93b8-9f9c95ab

Kit instructions and decals.

resized_3419c709-417d-40d2-b695-a36d156b

Caracal decals.

resized_ad282768-8d49-4a04-9401-08cc16b0

The aircraft that I am going to do

resized_f0226240-de7d-42a7-b449-a115759e

Edited by Jabba
Title
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

A little work has been done on this one, in that I have built most o the wings, still the ailerons and the slat actuators to be fitted. I have also built up the Fwd and main U/C bays although there are some door hinges to be fitted to the main one, but I will see if these can be fitted later, hopefully after the fuselage has been built. I have also started to built the flightdeck, but I am not sure how far I will go with this as the screens are also decals on the Caracal sheet. But the main part of the flightdeck is required for structural purposes. I am finding the plastic to be rather soft and there is a lot of flash around the parts so I am being very careful when removing any plastic. More to come.

resized_940c2d74-2951-489f-9bfd-8fc8891f

resized_dcd0db2b-929d-4b4b-a8eb-48275915

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have got some more parts glued together, and to be honest I am not that overjoyed with this kit especially with what you get for the price that was paid. The flight deck is together, but I think that I will paint this all black, use it for structural integrity and use the widows from the  Caracal decal sheet. I am also at a loss as to what are the rectangular lumps that are at the front of the engines. Unless anyone else knows if they do exist they will be removed when it comes to filling and sanding. I am also not sure if I have got the front of the engines correct as there is not spline so it can be lined up. More to come in the next week or so.

resized_fdb52990-a914-4eb3-b35f-652dc5e0

resized_256e03e7-e8e2-453f-bca4-7b630ced

resized_fe59059e-897d-483f-a097-d7758688

resized_eed54b23-1a23-41cf-883f-b59765e7

• Like 5

Looks like those square "blocks" are supposed to be more like bridges, as the cowls ramps down in between them.  They certainly did a bit of a bodge on those engines.  😬   I was noticing a lot of them don't have those ramps also, so evidently there was a change somewhere along the way to the engines.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-5b-19990422-f-0024f-001.jpg

Edited by helios16v

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:05, helios16v said:

Looks like those square "blocks" are supposed to be more like bridges, as the cowls ramps down in between them.  They certainly did a bit of a bodge on those engines.  😬   I was noticing a lot of them don't have those ramps also, so evidently there was a change somewhere along the way to the engines.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-5b-19990422-f-0024f-001.jpg

Like you I think that Roden are trying to simulate the blow in doors on the cowling with these blocks being the metal in between these said doors, and made a really bad job of it. So these will be coming off in the future to make a totally smooth cowling.

• Like 2

Fuselage now glued together apart from the nose and tail ending parts. I will glue the tail ending part and then place all other parts into their respective places so that I cab determine how much weight is required before gluing on the nose cone. In the last photo you can see how much can be seen there, so I think that after I have fitted the windscreen it will be painted over and the decal sheet windows used.

resized_45a9c552-cbcb-4de1-a973-26f48873

resized_51225a82-ef64-4c9a-8110-fbd99a4c

resized_c2e5d5a6-3a87-485e-9508-d9590c4e

resized_9873b5cc-c656-45e3-9576-efa8d01d

• Like 6

I think that I have got the weight sorted out, so I will build up the model (filling and sanding along the way) and as the nose cap is a separate item it will be added at the end so that I can make sure that the model is not a tail sitter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been filling and sanding the fuselage plus the engines. For some unknown reason I cannot at the moment remove the ridge that runs along the top and bottom of the fuselage. I keep on applying filler and it seems to do the trick, but after sanding down a little with my finger I can still feel it. I had the same on the engines, but a few days ago I started using a couple of sanding sticks of different grades on them and this seems to have done the trick. So I am going to give this a go on the fuselage. The last picture shows the result on one of the engines. I still have to fit the reverse thrust parts to these and then they will be done. I have some of the other parts that have been glued together, so that they can be fitted when the fuselage is done.

resized_12da637b-c5f1-4841-b6f6-2295831e

resized_b8006b6f-ea16-4501-a2c6-698305b8

resized_68a0166f-d34e-4ed4-b691-32c27d08

resized_a4080085-c2ad-4c92-88c6-005d150c

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jabba said:

I have been filling and sanding the fuselage plus the engines. For some unknown reason I cannot at the moment remove the ridge that runs along the top and bottom of the fuselage. I keep on applying filler and it seems to do the trick, but after sanding down a little with my finger I can still feel it.

Check with a magnifier to see if the cement join has come unstuck. I had a persistent seam on my B-29 and eventually found it had cracked apart. Drop a bit of CA in there and sand it back if that's the case.

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 2

Having had a closer look at the seams I could not find any cracks. So I attacked all the seams with several grades of sanding stick (I don't usually use these) and the results are below. Yes I have lost some panel lining, but that can be engraved, and I will go over the whole of the fuselage again with some fine wet n dry. Hopefully I will add the wings and other appendages throughout the coming week.

resized_ffb6c6ba-b73f-410d-96ae-860d855e

resized_cfaf7b1e-8158-41f6-9111-d04baede

• Like 4

Now with the wings added. I had to readjust the port wing after the glue had set, that is why there is a white line on the joint. I knew that this model was going to be big, but I was not sure how big. So I have placed it next to the Airfix 1/72nd Victor that I am building at the moment, and it is almost the same size. Before I fitted the wings I inserted wire into the engines so that they can fit better onto the wings, as can be seen in the last photo. I also fitted the reverse thrust parts of the engines, so more filling to be done.

resized_b29eb7ac-b68c-4e02-a7d9-50eadc61

resized_ed75871a-6099-4f5d-8bff-09d163fc

resized_64469783-37bf-4ebc-947a-79184f14

resized_8be484bf-fee1-4c4f-9f01-c38bf905

resized_f9f85c38-e952-4905-a4e6-c8719039

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some more bits added. To say that I do not like this kit will be a bit of an understatement. The engines are not fitted as yet, and they took a lot of sanding down (like the rest of the kit) to get them looking respectable. I am thinking of putting the flaps and slats in the extended position as they are often seen this way when the aircraft is sitting on the round. I was going to leave these off until I had painted the model, but after having a look at the plans I don't really think that this is a good idea, especially with the fit of parts so far. So last night I started on this and did not realise that I had to glue each half of each flap track together. Yet again there were no spigots to lend a helping hand, but I eventually got them built up. I will hopefully fit these and flaps in the next few days, but I will probably leave the slats off until later as they are just 1 part per wing. I am not looking forward to gluing the wheels as these are also in each half, but at least these have a lining up spigot, well according to the plans they do. I also still have the re-engraving of panel lines to do.

resized_9c050334-c97d-440d-95f6-3a8fce63

resized_d71047db-cfb7-48da-b8d6-78a14807

resized_54dc1909-cbc6-43e6-bd8b-97f935e5

• Like 5

Coming on well despite the kit's shortcomings. Don't fancy that job with the wheels! They're all in halves? 🙄

Still, looks like you're winning 👍

Al

20 hours ago, Alan P said:

Don't fancy that job with the wheels! They're all in halves? 🙄

Still, looks like you're winning 👍

Al

Yes Al they are all in halves, and thanks for the vote of confidence.

I have now added the flaps after a bit of a struggle, nothing seems to fit as easy as it should or it maybe just me. Each flap had a healthy covering of flash plastic, which was a bit of a pain to remove and as I did this over several days I think that I got one of the flap tracks slightly miscued which threw out some of the others, but I am reasonably happy with the result. I have also rescribed the panel lines on the fuselage and wings, plus I have now finally fitted the engines. The flight deck glazing is also fitted after a little persuasion. Now that the plastic is almost together I will determine whether I have filled the nose cone with the right amount of weight, a little hard to judge as by the front main UC bay it is tail heavy, but by the rear one it is nose heavy. I am also undecided as to fitting the U/C legs to also determine this or not. I may have also changed which aircraft I will build as I found a photo in a recently bought book that shows an aircraft from one of the other "Lizard" schemed Sqn that is available on the decal sheet. I think that I will be able to do this one straight off rather than doing some cutting and shunting or decals. I will take a close look in the next few days.

resized_97464194-146d-45fc-832b-a9143492

resized_4f4e6f1d-9df6-4bdd-935c-f50fbc4c

resized_e2166c12-9b32-405b-a8c6-d4a1febf

• Like 3

The model is altogether now, with the U/C on and it sits comfortably on it. I have started to paint it and unusually for me I have decided to paint the colours in patches close to where they go rather than painting the whole model in one colour and then adding the rest of the camo as required. I did this as it model is on the large side, and it my make the painting easier. I painted the lighter Green on the wings and tailplanes before I found the actual plans (They are not included on the decal sheet) by guessing from the side views, but I got them slightly wrong, so I will do these better later. The majority of the camo is Grey and as I will have to order the darker Green I will be painting this after the lighter Green. Also I still have to make up the wheels, which I am not looking forward to.

resized_299bc380-2cfd-43b1-a253-9f6339b1

resized_8113059b-dd0d-406d-9239-3c3833e6

resized_1376f9c6-720d-460b-ab4f-e9342bff

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jabba said:

before I found the actual plans (They are not included on the decal sheet)

The camo scheme plans are easily accessible on the reference page, as the decal instructions clearly state.

http://caracalmodels.com/references/cd144008/

Edited by CaracalModels

23 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

The camo scheme plans are easily accessible on the reference page, as the decal instructions clearly state.

http://caracalmodels.com/references/cd144008/

Yes sorry that is where I got them from, I just did not look at the instructions properly first like I should have done. I should have stated that in my last reply.

Edited by Jabba

I now have the darker Green painted. Whilst taking a trip to Salisbury I called in at the model shop there ( I really count this as my LHS), where I saw that there was a stand of Vallejo "Model Color" paints there. So remembering the FS Nos that I required the owner got onto his computer put in the numbers which gave him a paint number in the Vallejo "Air"  range. Now as I do not have an air brush, we then got paint from the "Air" range and matched it as best as possible with the "Model Color" range. It may not be properly correct but it is close enough for me and with a bit of weathering who is to say it is wrong. I also got the Grey this way, I know that I have this colour in other ranges, but I am not sure how much so I thought it best to start with a fresh pot. I will start on this tonight. In the last photo you will see the slight problem that I have with the flight deck glazing. I am not sure what to do about this, I may just fill and sand down, so I will have a think unless anyone here can pass on a suggestion.

resized_2d7932d8-7750-4b0f-948c-1878ba85

resized_af4da9ad-8e0f-4027-94e9-d09099b5

resized_3223810a-87ca-4b99-a343-b3a727d7

• Like 3

The camo painting is now done, just the black nose cap to do. I have also made the flight deck glazing a bit better. Then I have got to make a start on making the wheels, at least I have sprayed the hubs white. I also have to paint the slats, which hopefully will not cause a problem. I then have to apply a couple of coats of Klear, but I am thinking of only applying this to where the decals are to go or thereabout rather than the whole model. More updates later.

resized_b7a9d2ed-cc89-41c6-964a-279f7a60

resized_022717ee-2cce-459c-8b39-3b58e36f

resized_f83715d0-1c62-4446-b4f3-cb192d87

resized_814fad72-04b4-4251-a84d-24b7b4e8

• Like 5

Oh deary me.  Make sure you have a pint w/ you to keep your nerves calm.  Not too much though, otherwise it'll be a bugger to keep the paint where you need it.  ;)