1/48 RF-101B Voodoo

zebra

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Oops... Sorry, guys!

:sorry:

No worries!

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

Excellent work, the cockpit PE looks great!

David

Thanks David 

• Like 1

This weekend I've got the RF-101B masked and primed and started painting with the metallic bits at the rear, using AK Extreme Metal steel, which has worked very well - I'll be using it again. On to the camouflage next.

One setback though - a crack formed in the canopy when I removed it from the sprue. I'll try and source a replacement but in the meantime I'm going to press on. It could be worse - the crack isn't very visible from some angles.

Here's the metallic paint on the rear end:

Voodoo WIP

Cheers

Julian

• Like 5

On 26/05/2019 at 13:15, zebra said:

It could be worse - the crack isn't very visible from some angles.

I have the same issue on my F-101 A/C, but it’s not so obvious. Good progress on the -B! :like:

gee that AK Extreme Metal does look good, I may have to give it a try. I currently use Master Modeller Metalizer (which i love), I tried the Vallejo Metal colour but wasn't impressed at all with it.

A shame about the canopy, there seems to be quite a few builds of late where canopies have caused or been the issue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I have the same issue on my F-101 A/C

On 5/29/2019 at 10:40 AM, trickyrich said:

A shame about the canopy, there seems to be quite a few builds of late where canopies have caused or been the issue!

I wonder whether there's something about the clear plastic Kitty Hawk uses. Nikolay had the same problem, and when I googled to see if anyone had a solution to the problem a few people seem to have had problems with other KH kits.

Anyway over the last few days I've got the paint on the upper surfaces. I started with the tan, then the lighter green, using paper templates to mask. Wasn't entirely satisfied with the overspray with the paper templates so decided to try airbrushing the rest freehand (including fixing up the bits I wasn't satisfied with). First time I've tried airbrushing camouflage freehand. And quite pleased with the result! Not perfect, needs practice, but here it is:

Voodoo WIP

Of course as soon as I posted the photo I spotted a bit I need to touch up!

Should get the lower surfaces painted tomorrow.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, zebra said:

I wonder whether there's something about the clear plastic Kitty Hawk uses. Nikolay had the same problem, and when I googled to see if anyone had a solution to the problem a few people seem to have had problems with other KH kits.

The KH plastic is a bit rough and not so flexible, as we have on some kits. But the roots of a problem is the tight boxes that KH using.

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Wasn't entirely satisfied with the overspray with the paper templates so decided to try airbrushing the rest freehand (including fixing up the bits I wasn't satisfied with). First time I've tried airbrushing camouflage freehand. And quite pleased with the result!

Yes, looks great! Superb work! 😎

• Thanks 1

I've got the matt coat on and painted the nose cone. But one setback - when I removed the tape from the metal bits at the rear it left a lot of sticky residue behind. Any tips for removing it? If I can't satisfactorily remove it I'll have to strip the metallic paint and repaint it. Which won't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer not to!

Voodoo WIP

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Isopropyl alcohol got rid of the sticky residue but it still needed touching up, which I've done today. Also got various details done and started on the undercarriage. But forgot to photograph it, so will do that and post a photo tomorrow.

• Like 2

Unmasked, jetpipes attached, and a couple of details painted. I've pressed on with the undercarriage but nothing worth photographing there yet. Could have made more progress today, but wanted to get my teeth into the F-105G.

Voodoo WIP

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Beautiful work, I love the smart camo job! 

David 

Thanks David. Have to say I had my doubts about the freehand camo when I first applied it but it looks much better with a matt finish.

Got the undercarriage and windscreen on today. It's getting there - hopefully I'll finish tomorrow - if I don't I might not get it done by the end of the GB as I'm not going to have a lot of modelling time for the next 2 weeks.

Voodoo WIP

• Like 2