1/72 Finnish Vamppi (HävLv 13)

Late entry.  Due to time constraints I'm not going to be able to build the Aero S-105, so the little Vamp will have to do.  Initial dry fit of parts looks fair, and a modest parts count and simple design mean it will hopefully go together without too many hassles.  Time will tell.

33833494258_b7a5b79e66_z.jpg

47657690902_2824157b24_z.jpg

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

Didn't take any pics, but the rest of the sub-assemblies are built and things are ready for interior painting.  I wasn't happy w/ how the drops were fitting, so I think I'm just going to leave this one clean.  I'm trying to keep this "simple" and not get mired down into details like I always seem to do.  The drops were going to require a fair bit of fiddling to get them to fit w/ minimal gaps to the wings.  I might need to go pick up some BBs or fishing sinkers for some nose weight.  She is going to be a very tail heavy bird, and I don't think just modeling clay is going to be enough weight.

It will probably be Tuesday after work (maybe Monday if I'm in recovery mode) before I can break out the airbrush.  Hoping to get out of work early tonight, then head out on a 68 mile bike ride.  Monday might be another club ride...if I'm not too tattered from the Camano Climb on Sunday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:popcorn:, please! Their nickname in Finland is "Vamppi", which also means a vamp, man-eater etc. type of lady. The name fits her bulbuous curves well 🙂

V-P

Thanks for the info V-P!  I've adjusted the title accordingly.  One of the things I enjoy about doing foreign aircraft is learning little tidbits I otherwise never would have known.  🍻

• Like 1

Well Chris if the 'Vamppi' brought Finland into the jet age it's appropriate you're progressing this one at a similar speed! Well done getting so far so fast :speak_cool:

• Like 1

In primer.  Hopefully tomorrow it will be in silver.  Want to let it cure overnight, then possibly do a little pre-shading.

33875417638_9bd6d1a335_z.jpg

• Like 2

I was just looking at more pics of the Vampire.  Looks like I need to bust out the sanding sticks and perhaps a bit more putty.  The wing joins need more work as there should only be a step at the very leading edge, not 1/3 of the way back on the wing.  Better to find this now before paint.  Maybe clean up the radome join a bit too.

• Like 1

Hope is not lost...yet.  🤣

On my way to bed yesterday I decided to see if the putty was fully cured and ready to sand (got to anxious the day before and started sanding before it had completely hardened all the way through...oops).  Pick up a sanding stick and did a little test area.....and half hour later I still hadn't gone to bed.  I did a little touch up scribing of some panel lines that got filled.  It should be ready for a light coat of primer on the wing roots to check the seams, then hopefully ready for color.  Today is a planned rest day (no cycling/hiking activities scheduled) so hopefully I can make another surge (couple hours anyways) forward.

• Haha 1

Much better after the clean up.

33922497258_3ebd39e26a_z.jpg

And an attempt at a little negative pre-shade to get some variance in the overall finish.  First attempt, so we'll see how it goes in the end.

47747223642_3a0918c0aa_z.jpg

• Like 2

And after the base coat.  Now to let this cure overnight then throw down some clear and get ready for decals.  I might make this yet.  🙂

33922500008_f3457d195c_z.jpg

46883229655_6734b7dd15_z.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looking good and going at a fair pace Chris. Nice work.

We'll see.  Not out of the woods yet!  🤣

• Like 1

The clock is ticking...but the end is near.

Got the overcoat sprayed yesterday...though the glosscote ended up being not all that glossy.  Whatever.  Not going to sweat it for now.  Just need to clean up some residue on the canopy, install the wheels, fab up some wheels chocks (she's still a tailstander even w/ weight in the nose), and install the nose gear doors.  Suspect it'll only be a couple hours worth of work.  May try to get to it after my bike ride after work (of which I'm leaving early 😎).

I'll have more pics when she's ready to roll out of the hanger.

• Like 2

Looking very good!

For the "pisteeksi i:n päälle", meaning adding "the dot above the i" or "icing on the 🍰" you might want to edit your build thread title to read "HävLv" with the umlauts, as it's short for "Hävittäjälaivue" - Special Hobby got that wrong 😎.

V-P

• Like 1

Leving work early, getting out for a spin on the bike, then coming home to build models; sounds like my idea of a good day :D 

• Like 2

All that is left is a little clean up on the chocks (have to wait for the putty to cure), figure out chock cables, install the main gear wheels & pics.  Should be able to see to that in the morning when I get off work (leaving early again 😎).  So if all goes to plan, pics should be arriving in the gallery destination w/ about 6 hours to spare.

Then probably go for a hike before tackling some yard work.

• Like 1

Out of the hanger, enroute to the gallery.  😲

In the few years I've been here (been here for the entire NATO/Warsaw series) this is the first GB I've actually successfully completed.  🤣

47782489582_9cdb2de40c_z.jpg

• Like 2