Mediterranean Air War adversaries: P-40F vs. MC.205

During the mid-afternoon of 30 April 1943, P-40Fs of the 316th FS from the 324th FG, along with the three P-40 squadrons of the 79th FG and a top cover of Spitfires from 92 Sqn, were flying an anti-shipping patrol off of Cap Bon when they were attacked by Macchi fighters, likely MC.202s from151 Gruppo and MC.205s from 1 Stormo.  Although both sides made multiple claims, the only apparent loss was the MC. 205 flown by M. IIo Luigi Caroli of 88 Sq., 6 Gr., 1 Stormo.  Caroli was listed as MIA, possibly shot down by Lts. Kim Bolack and Malcom McNall of the 79th fG, who shared in claiming a Macchi fighter, although they listed it as a 202.

The tables were turned on 8 July 1943, when a MC.202 severely damaged the P-40F flown by Lt. "Bucky" Buchanan of the 316th FS.  Buchanan was able to nurse his damaged Warhawk, coded Y*76, back to his base, where its rudder cable snapped upon landing.  Buchanan was unhurt, but Y*76 never flew again.

Here are my representations of the fighters involved, both in 48th scale, although I can't say for sure if the MC.205 I've modeled was specifically involved in the scrap on 30 April.

P-40F: AMtech kit with resin nose, Cutting Edge cockpit with Ultracast seat (to replace the Cutting Edge one I accidentally damaged), Ultracast exhausts and tires, Eduard photoetch ring and bead gunsite, Sky Models decals, added brakelines and a mirror.  I think that's it.

MC.205: Hasegawa kit, including decals, Mike Grant's 'smoke ring' decals, Ultracast seat.  Very nice kit OOB so not much needs to be added.

Thanks for looking, and as always any comments and constructive criticism are welcome!

Cheers,

Mark

KKMQ773.jpg

Hb4vq6c.jpg?1

ZHj4adH.jpg?1

WIYpgZf.jpg?1

WqVk4zQ.jpg

9Nxtiz2.jpg?1

wJinqUA.jpg

6TWmd0k.jpg

VkSqo1I.jpg

0XE4Umu.jpg

Edited by Mark Joyce
corrections needed
  • Like 48

1 hour ago, cduckworth said:

Mark

two very well done models and I enjoyed the historical background as well. Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you very kindly!

40 minutes ago, Beazer said:

What colour did you use for the Veltro.  Great looking kits btw.

Model Master enamels, Light Sea Gray for the underside and cockpit and Dark Tan for the topside.  I tried to get accurate colors with what I could easily obtain but the Italian colors and Macchi callouts easily confuse me. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice. I did the Italeri rebox of the Hasegawa kit and it came with smoke ring decals

Thank you! I was unaware that the Italeri reboxing came with the smoke rings. How did they go down?

Cheers,

I’m doing it right now and the closest I’ve got is the Dark Tan Tamiya offers. Pictured show a lighter colour yet Nichiolo Chiaro 4 is more hazel.

The Italeri decals went down like a charm. I was worried about them going around the intakes but with solutions conformed very well. The decal guide in the instructions was very precise, everything fit were it was supposed to. If you look very close at the decals you can see it actually looks like spray paint

2765_decalslr.jpg

Edited by fubar57
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, fubar57 said:

The Italeri decals went down like a charm. I was worried about them going around the intakes but with solutions conformed very well. The decal guide in the instructions was very precise, everything fit were it was supposed to. If you look very close at the decals you can see it actually looks like spray paint

2765_decalslr.jpg

So the Italeri instructions indicate where each specific smoke ring is to go?  Interesting.  Mike Grant's simply have you cut each out and place wherever.  I initially tried matching mine to some photographs but ultimately gave up.  I had some problems around the intakes and with silvering here and there, but likely those issues were self-inflicted.

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Both great builds. The paint work is very well done. 

Thank you, Greg!

6 hours ago, BerndM said:

Two smashing builds with a historical backup.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the kind comment!

4 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Awesome background story. Even more awesome models. 👍👍

1/48 I gather?

Thanks and, yes, both 48th scale!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent pair of builds. :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly!

6 hours ago, IanC said:

Two superb models. I can't pick a favourite!

Thanks Ian!  Mine is the P-40.  I've built so many over the years I pretty much have them down through trial and error, but it's my first Macchi so I'm still learning!

5 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Great storie and two fine models, especially the P-40

Very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

Both are little stunners and you have done a cracking job on the smoke ring decals!

Rob

Thanks Rob, although some of those smoke rings did silver a bit!

20 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice pair (of builds) there Mark, great job(s)

I appreciate it, Russ!

19 hours ago, djos said:

Great looking models. Perfect colors and details.

Best regards Djordje

Thank you kindly, Djordje!

Cheers,

Mark

On 4/29/2019 at 9:00 AM, Nanond said:

Nice pair!

The smoke ring decals look great. I also have Mike's decal in 1:72. I'll have to try them. 

Thanks!  I actually had some of the smoke rings silver on me, something not too noticeable in the photos.  I recently talked to another builder who had the same problem and we agree that likely we didn't glosscoat our models well enough, so I recommend you really make sure the surface is as nice and smooth as you can.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1