Ark models 1/72 Vickers Vimy kit

Jonny

Hi everyone,

looking for for a scale model of a Vickers product I came across a Vickers Vimy kit in 1/72 scale by ‘Ark Models’.  I’ve never heard of Ark Models.

Has anyone any experience of Ark Models, or particularly the 1/72 Vimy kit?  I have a nastyfeeling it’s a copy of the old Frog kit but I might be wrong ... I hope so anyway!

Jonny

Thankyou, Black Knight and Orso..

It’s as I feared ... not a new kit.  I do have a (very) old Frog ‘Vimy’ somewhere in the stash, and I’ve a rough idea about what needs to be done to backdate it to a ‘real’ Vim6.  Not really easy ... .

Maybe one day someone will release a decent kit of the Vimy (and HP O/400). ARE YOU LISTENING, AIRFIX???

Thsnks again,

Jonny

To be fair, and given its vintage, the existing Airfix kit of the 0/400 isn't all that bad, once you've dealt with the washboard corrugations that are allegedly the rib detail on the wings.

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

It’s as I feared ... not a new kit.  I do have a (very) old Frog ‘Vimy’ somewhere in the stash, and I’ve a rough idea about what needs to be done to backdate it to a ‘real’ Vim6.  Not really easy ... .

T'aint that hard.  If I can do it anyone can

Vickers%20Vimy%2C%20502%20sqd%2C%2004s-L

• Like 11

Nice that, just what is involved in the back dating, as in is there a site that covers it? I've long thought that one like yours has more attraction than the transatlantic one.

Steve.

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice that, just what is involved in the back dating, as in is there a site that covers it? I've long thought that one like yours has more attraction than the transatlantic one.

Steve.

I did this once for a group build on the Unofficial Airfix Forum, based on a 4 page article in  PAM news. I have scans of the article if you'd like them. The UAF build I later wrote up for Internet Modeler, and having just checked, it's still there. Here's the link:  http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/may/aviation/frog_vimy.php . I hope that's useful.

There was another 1/72nd kit, a vac by Eastern Star. Good kit, but hard to get (and the company was quite dodgy, according to John Adams who supplied the white metal content, and didn't stick around long).

Paul.

5 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Paul, yes please, look out for a PM with my email address.

Steve.

Okay. Waiting............................................................................................................

Paul.

Johnny, Steve, your copies have been sent.

Do be aware, the plastic used by all the issues since Frog folded is very variable in quality, and mostly very flash ridden, so if you don't yet have the kit try for a Frog original. It may have hardened over the years but should be easier to work with.

Paul.

• Like 1

Just another point, look for a Frog Vimy IV Bomber kit. This kit has the nose skid and the separate windscreens, The other Vimy kits have the TransAtlantic front nose wheel assembly and different windscreen unit

• Like 1

OooErrr  rs.!

I’ve just gone and bought a kit!  A Novo boxing because original Frog ones I found seemed to require silly money.  I arranged Click & Collect to avoid any interrogation by SWMBO - she’s a treasure and I love her deeply but it’s not always easy to explain things to her satisfaction.  

This is was a direct result of Paul T’s very helpful provision of the link to his UAF build at post #8 and also his emailing me the PAM News article.  Thanks again,Paul.

Now to start looking for pics of the real Vimy. 

Jonny

• Like 2

I would also like to thank Paul, for kindly sending the article over. Very useful indeed, I have a Novo kit with the front Skid and some Frog Decals as the Novo ones explode on contact with water usually.

Thanks again Paul

All the best

Chris

Glad I could help. I wish I could remember who sent me the PAM article originally. I'd advise Microscale liquid decal film for the Frog decals to be on the safe side. I've had them break up too. Whereas the Novo decals were never much good, some Frog ones that have made it this far have undergone deterioration of the carrier film.

Cheers,    Paul.

• Thanks 2