Rolls Royce Armoured Car

I've just reviewed this thread & realised to my embarrassment, I was too busy being all knowing about the Caunter scheme to say how much I like the look of this & what a great job I think you've made of this. In truth, that's about the sum total of how much I know about Caunter, I will get Mike Starmer's book on it one day & I do think it looks great & you've made a superb job of it. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone,

On 10/05/2019 at 06:27, stevehnz said:

In truth, that's about the sum total of how much I know about Caunter, I will get Mike Starmer's book on it one day & I do think it looks great & you've made a superb job of it. :)

Thanks Steve. I don't know that much about it myself, although I've read a few of Mike's magazine articles on Caunter. It's such an iconic scheme though, that everyone needs at least one model finished in it.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, Jo NZ said:

Good grief, I didn’t realise they were is service for so long!

They were used throughout the 20's and 30's.  There were new builds of the 1920 and 1924 pattern as well as the original 1914 and a very small number of 1918 patterns.  3 units used R-Rs in N Africa in WW2: 11th Hussars and Nos 1 and 2 RAF Armoured Car Companies.

But the configuration modelled here is only appropriate to the RAF Armoured Car Companies.  IIRC No1 Company kept them pretty much all the way to Tunisia in 1943 while No2 Company was re-equipped with the Fordson conversion and improved armament.  The 11th Hussars' cars had larger open-top turrets taken or copied from the Morris CS9 armoured car, and they were replaced before the RAF's cars.  IIRC the 11th's cars were originally 1924 pattern.

Edited by Das Abteilung
11th Hussars, not 8th as I said originally
  • Like 2

I have to say that, as there has been discussion about the various types and also the Roden kits, l am currently losing the will to live as l am battling with the 1914 version by Roden.... ghastly kit. It makes the BL 8” howitzer kit look like a dream by comparison 😩😩😩

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, McNab said:

I have to say that, as there has been discussion about the various types and also the Roden kits, l am currently losing the will to live as l am battling with the 1914 version by Roden.... ghastly kit. It makes the BL 8” howitzer kit look like a dream by comparison 😩😩😩

I don't envy you. I've thought about building the Roden version a few times in the past, but always chickened out due to the amount of work involved.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Hello Andy !!

Great job on the R&R !! 

Now, I want one in my collection...

Great painting and weathering !! Congratulations !!

CC

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...