Heller Revived from the Dead

JohnT

• 4 weeks later...

I was very fond of the the Heller range. Good choice of subjects, some of which, to my knowledge, have never been duplicated (in 1/72 anyway) by any other mainstream I M company. Nord, Noratlas, CL-215/415, DC-6, Lockheed Constellation, to name but a few. 

I think they were also first with two seat version of the F-104, Saab Draken, Saab Viggen Jaguar and, Mirage F1?.All pretty decent kits though, the decals were generally awful!

Allan

• Like 4

On 6/19/2019 at 8:43 AM, tempestfan said:

they state they want to be gallocentric in the future again, and France never used the A-4.

Playing devil’s advocate, but didn’t Singapore base some of its aircraft there?!

Trevor

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I was very fond of the the Heller range. Good choice of subjects, some of which, to my knowledge, have never been duplicated (in 1/72 anyway) by any other mainstream I M company. Nord, Noratlas, CL-215/415, DC-6, Lockheed Constellation, to name but a few. 

(…)

Allan

Agree on that! What I like most about the good old Heller range, are their 1:48 (-ish) helicopter kits! The '70s boxes with the painted machine on the front still give way to loads of melancholy..!

A few misses like the Alouette III and the Frelon, but beside those: nice kits of the SA360/ 365, Gazelle, the Alouette II (previous Lama) and AS350 Ecureuil. Not too many details, but perfect to add your own ideas.

I had Always hoped Heller would release more of those…

Well, I can Always hope, can't I?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeejeeZ said:

Agree on that! What I like most about the good old Heller range, are their 1:48 (-ish) helicopter kits! The '70s boxes with the painted machine on the front still give way to loads of melancholy..!

A few misses like the Alouette III and the Frelon, but beside those: nice kits of the SA360/ 365, Gazelle, the Alouette II (previous Lama) and AS350 Ecureuil. Not too many details, but perfect to add your own ideas.

I had Always hoped Heller would release more of those…

Well, I can Always hope, can't I?!

I didn't mind the lack of fine detail. A modicum of imagination plus some plastic sheet,rod and strip took care of that! 

My only real issues were the poor quality decals (easily replaced) and, the almost total lack of ordnance provided for the combat types

Allan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They really, really made me cranky a few years ago when I got one of their 1/72 Bf109G6 kits ( for nostalgic reasons, I like theblack 12+- and did not know about scalemates back then ).

When I opened the tiny box I found the godawful old Airfix kit in there. Needless to say I was NOT amused.

But their Bf109B/C is my favorite 1/72 Bf109 ( and I have a metric ton of AZ, Finemolds, Tamiya, Hasegawa kits in my stash )

Edited by Abakan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Plus Model upgrade kit for the EC121 is actually good value for money - as well as replacement cowls (the Heller ones are rubbish) you get detail sets for the very bare kit wheel bays.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Abakan said:

But their Bf109B/C is my favorite 1/72 Bf109 ( and I have a metric ton of AZ, Finemolds, Tamiya, Hasegawa kits in my stash )

Fine Molds of Japan ( and Hasegawa ) are for me ( along with Special Hobby and Eduard ) among the finest Model Makers out there - the level of detail , accuracy and ease of fitment are wonderful

• 4 weeks later...

A few months ago, I purchased Heller's latest CL-215 release, the 80373 ref. number.

The kit is, as usual, really really nice, and the moulds seem to hold up very well the years as the moulding is top notch, not a single flash and exceptional part definition. Compare this to what Italeri pumps out today...

What freaked me out was the decal sheet, it's Cartograf like quality. No indication of whom it was printed by but you could swear it came from Cartograf : perfect register, dense colours, almost invisible clear carrier. This time, Heller really upped the game in the decal department. Well done !

• Like 5

That's a relief.

I had to buy the Italeri kit just for the decals to dress the Heller Cl-415. The advantage is, I can build another if I've a mind to, as the Italeri kit provides 4 decal options.

The Italeri decals are printed by Zanchetti and behaved flawlessly, unlike their usual offerings which often have the quality of lino !

Rog

• 1 month later...

I have enjoyed building thier kits, though the short cuts they take some times suck. I'm working on a copy of thier 1/400 Kriegsmarine set, and they could have done a better job on the mont, for the front 20 mm on the S/E Boats.

But I can't complain to much, as the box says you get 6 and I got 12.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked their propensity to release lesser-known subjects (aside from the obvious Gallic preference).

Things like their Saab J-21A for instance..

Heller%20261%20J21gdpp.JPG

They had the whole SAAB range at one point. 21, 29, 32, 35.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2019 at 7:22 AM, alt-92 said:

I always liked their propensity to release lesser-known subjects (aside from the obvious Gallic preference).

Things like their Saab J-21A for instance..

Heller%20261%20J21gdpp.JPG

They had the whole SAAB range at one point. 21, 29, 32, 35.

You left out the 37! Have four or five of the J21, two J35's and two or three J37's. Must get some 29 and 32 kits.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, alt-92 said:

They had the whole SAAB range at one point. 21, 29, 32, 35

... and the little Saab 91 Safir, that’s another little Heller Swedish Classic. I’m hoping to build one for next years Scandi GB, however my recent new boxed Heller purchase arrived without decals. Numerous emails to both the retailer and Heller are yet to yield a response as yet.:sad:

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

You left out the 37! Have four or five of the J21, two J35's and two or three J37's. Must get some 29 and 32 kits.

No J-21R? Special Hobby has/had one in 1:72. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, Andre B said:

But sadly the Draken is no more available from Heller...

/André

What has happened to the Draken? Also any idea what happened with the Mirage F-1 mould? Last I remember reading from JC Carbonel was that they'd found the mould.

Paul Harrison

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, Richard Humm said:

The Draken was one of the tools sold to Argentina in the mid-1980s. They are currently being sold there as Modelex kits - website here.

A very odd sale IMHO. It can''t have brought in too much revenue. Do Modelex have big presence in South America, or is it just Argentina?

I don't care much for those "cadet" kits, but some of the 1/72 kits are a different matter: Draken, He 112, Ar 96, Ba 349/Fi 103, Gladiator, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, Andre B said:

But sadly the Draken is no more available from Heller...

/André

The Heller Draken Molds still exist in Argentina they appear ocationally every time so at Ebay

8 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

The Heller Draken Molds still exist in Argentina they appear ocationally every time so at Ebay

Hi,

Yes, most of us builders in Sweden knew that. But evrn if it appesrs on "Evil Bay" now and then the Hasegawa Draken is cheaper and more easilly available in Sweden...

Cheers / André 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heller's sailing ship kits come to mind. A good range, and most not repeated by other manufacturers, except for their Victory and St Louis kits. Their big 100th scale Victory has often been proclaimed as the best plastic kit of this ship.

The St Louis, a 16th century ship was also the subject of an Airfix kit in their Classic Ships range. Although Heller and Airfix were  under the same holding company some years ago, I believe that their respective kits of the St Louis ship were in two different scales.

Heller's big 100th scale Soleil Royale has had its critics with regard to accuracy and idiosyncrasies down the years, but it builds up into one very impressive eye catching model and is to date the only 16th century sailing ship model in plastic in this scale.

If Heller under their new owners are considering new subjects, the beautiful ocean liner Normandie has never been lifted in plastic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, Cometracer said:

What I've always admired about Heller is their attention to French themed subjects.  Some of their kits are really good, even though some are dated.

I’ve never forgiven Heller for that absolute monstrosity that is/was their 1/72 Concorde. 

Graham

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, Cometracer said:

What I've always admired about Heller is their attention to French themed subjects.  Some of their kits are really good, even though some are dated.

Hi there

Well I'm just restocking modern French aircraft kits and according to Scalemates galaxy hichicker guide Dassault Mirage 2000C and Dassault Rafale A/C are now under Mistercraft boxing in Poland (one thing is they got some interesting decals schemes)

Regards

Armando