Scale automotive paint advice

MarkSH

Hi all,

Apologies if this subject is old news:

I'm Just looking for advice/recommendations with regard to paints for automotive models. I am going to be building both of the feature cars from the movie Bullitt for an upcoming Group Build later in the year. Having never built a car before I appreciate the very distinct differences in paint finish from the usual aircraft subjects that populate my workbench.

I have read the tips and tricks post by @cmatthewbacon and watched a number of YouTube vids all about preparation, technique and some finishing products, however I am interested in hearing opinions about scale metallic chip paint effects i.e. the Ford Highland Green I will need to use for the '68 Mustang GT. If I get some ideas I might be able to do a pre-GB test run to try and nail down the process so I don't make a complete prat of myself.

TIA

Mark. 

Hi, Mark... Steve at Hiroboy does a Dark Metallic Bullitt Mustang Green, though it may be matched to the more recent tribute models rather than the original. I think if you use his custom mixing service, Steve will make it up with a pearl flake size instead of metal flake, if you’re worried. Best thing to do is give him a ring on the number on the website and talk it through with him. He’s a friendly guy and has always given me good advice (like using pearl white as a base for Bondian Aston Martin DB5 Silver Birch, instead of silver...)

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

pearl flake size instead of metal flake

The Zero Paints pearl flake is very fine and looks great, I've just done a car with a ZP pearl paint and it's an excellent choice. 

• Thanks 1

Ha! turns out Hiroboy is right here in Cheltenham so can click and collect.

A brief search of the website suggests that they don't actually stock a Mica/Pearl 'Bullitt' green only metallic but I'll give them a ring and see what the options are, thanks again for the heads up re; Hiroboy @cmatthewbacon.

Cheers,

Mark

You're welcome! All that said, I just came across a recent issue of Octane featuring the real car as used in the film and returned to the limelight recently:

bullitstang.jpg

It's really hard to see much of a hint of metal flake, even in the sunshine, and in the indoor pictures it looks like a fairly drab dark green, not to mention looking almost black in some of the film stills. Humbrol 116 or Tamiya AS-21 aren't far off...

EDIT: Testors 28120 Model Master Spray Fathom Green Metallic is said to be a good match, but good luck finding any in the UK!)

best,

M.

Yes I had seen the same article and some other footage of the re-discovered Mustang and thought the same even the close-ups don't show much in the way of a metallic finish. More food for thought.

P.S. it still looks good, although I felt a tinge of sadness reading Steve McQueen's letter to the current owners Father!

• Like 1

Now you're tempting me to join in, since I have the appropriate Mustang Fastback and 68 Dodge Charger and their associated Octane articles for precisely this reason! There's an article on doing the Mustang in Scale Auto Modeller, IIRC...

best,

M.

• Like 1