Boeing 720 'Led Zeppelin' (Caesars Chariot)

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

A prop airliner by any chance??

A very small one ... :D.   This goes back to when I was only a very, very young lad, and was the first time that I ever flew in an aircraft, for years I have had a sneaky intention to actually build it.  I need to dig around and find the exact date, but I think it would of been around 1969/70/71 (.... ish) kind of time frame, it was a holiday flight from Norwich to Jersey, in the Channel Islands, on a de Havilland Heron flying with Channel Airways. Had a tentative dig around and I think it may of been the fixed undercarriage type. I have the 1/72 Airfix Heron ready and waiting for when I do make a start on it.

Hope the link works, it is probably one similar to this below (could even be the one .... who knows!!).

https://www.planepictures.net/v3/show_en.php?id=832963

There are decals for a Channel Airways de Havilland Heron ...... unfortunately in 1/144, and not 1/72 though. :wall: 

B)

On 4/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, Neil said:

Finished at last, just in time for the Milton Keynes Modelkraft show at the weekend, so will take it there for display on the club stand. 

B)

Spot the Boeing 720 ...... now packed in it's box with my other most recent build the 1/48 Fairey Albacore, and with the other built models I have decided to take to the show tomorrow. Just need the upper layers of protective foam placing in the boxes, and taping up, and putting in the car. Should be a good show by all accounts.

40748316683_ef1aafcc57_b.jpg

B)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neil said:

de Havilland Heron flying with Channel Airways

I noticed your kit packing boxes and loose bits so they don't come off in transit . How do you fit them and make them removeable ?

Edited by bzn20

On 4/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, bzn20 said:

I noticed your kit packing boxes and loose bits so they don't come off in transit . How do you fit them and make them removeable ?

Things like props I leave loose so they can simply be be pushed on/off the model because they tend to get broken when fixed, the same goes for open canopies and speedbrakes (F-15, F-18 etc) they simply clip or balance in place when displayed and removed when transporting them. Large, positionable tailplanes like F-15, F-18, Jaguar etc have their original mounting pins removed and replaced with lengths of metal rod or tube (brass, aluminium, steel or such) makes them stronger and can be fitted/removed for display or transportation. All the individual loose, fragile components fit into their own compartments cut into the deep sponge. Props, canopies, speedbrakes, tailplanes (and ordnance on some not shown etc) are far less likely to be damaged. The loose tailplanes actually fit into slits cut into the foam.

46826097245_c0d5ffefbe_b.jpg

B)

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 8:33 AM, bombernut said:

Oh, I like that very much Neil.

Are those the kit's JT3Cs? I've read, possibly on this Forum, that they are oversized. Those ones look good to me.

Lovely job,

Matt

Matt,

If you got to Neil's 'Work in Progress' thread (linked at the top of the thread above the first image) you will see he made his own better-proprotioned engines.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:33 PM, bombernut said:

Oh, I like that very much Neil.

Are those the kit's JT3Cs? I've read, possibly on this Forum, that they are oversized. Those ones look good to me.

Lovely job,

Matt

Oops, sorry Matt, I missed that question!  :blush:   As Romeo Alpha Yankee says, there is a link at the beginning of this thread to the In Progress build, showing the resin engines.

B)

As most of the previous finished pics are taken from above/high-level,  here's a few more mostly from a lower down perspective.

47778988331_8942b212de_b.jpg

47726740172_6e8dcde283_b.jpg

47778988531_39fb1fcbb6_b.jpg

47726740042_8a6b9921e8_b.jpg

32835495187_262b827f50_b.jpg

B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

Very COOL Neil!! 

Rod

Thank you! ......  but not quite as cool as Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John-Paul Jones ...... inside that 'plane ...... in the '70's.  :D :guitar: :yahoo:

B)

• Like 1

Wow, nearly missed this one! I could easily run out of superlatives here, it is utterly brilliant. From the engines to the decals it oozes real craftsmanship. Probably the best airliner build I've seen in the last year or so!

Gobsmacked:gobsmacked:, and full of admiration,

John

Brilliant and fabulous pic's of your wonderful build again sir, nice one Neil, sir.  As it's been a long time, been a long time, since we have seen her from this point of view. 😎 

Funny thing is ..... in most of the pics I have posted, the cockpit main windows and 'eyebrow' windows above the cockpit look totally Black, but in reality they are the kit clear transparencies and not Black at all. The cockpit interior is painted in that colour though, which is giving the transparencies the impression of being that one colour.

Which is really, REALLY annoying ...... took so much time to mask up those tiny transparent segments on the clear cockpit section ...... :wall:

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch-built resin engines.  Man, there are days I cannot get a seam to disappear on a fuselage.  I stand in awe.  Great work.  I've thought about giving Elton's machine a go, but those over-sized engines put me off.