1/72 - Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia" by Clear Prop Models - released - new boxing

Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Take care 1/144th - ref. 144003 - see dedicated thread 

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235082808-1144-mitsubishi-ki-51-sonia-by-clear-prop-models-released/

A new boxing with French AF and Kamikaze markings is expected for the Summer. Delayed due to COVID19 crisis.

Source: http://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109736&p=1435104#p1435104

Box art ?

200908102750870249.jpg

200815104814777528.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 year later...

It is the "Special Attack" (kamikaze) version, not reconnaissance ! Note that the markings are the same that one of the schemes proposed in the old Aeromaster "Special Attack Squadrons" booklet +decals available in the 90s.  However, I don't know if the bomb was carried under the fuselage or under the wing and if the machine gun was removed or not ?

15 hours ago, Violet Club said:

It is the "Special Attack" (kamikaze) version, not reconnaissance ! Note that the markings are the same that one of the schemes proposed in the old Aeromaster "Special Attack Squadrons" booklet +decals available in the 90s.  However, I don't know if the bomb was carried under the fuselage or under the wing and if the machine gun was removed or not ?

You got me curious and I went to look at my "Special Attack Squadrons" that I bought more than 20 years ago and rediscovered just a few years back... but I don't know where I put it the last time! At least I know is somewhere in the house.

The bombs where carried under the wings for up to 400 kg in total, in part I think because there was a dive brake at the centre back of the wing under the fuselage that would make a rack station there impractical. Apparently that wasn't a problem for "special attackers" since they carried a single 250 kg bomb under the fuselage, probably fixed and also probably because the dive brake wasn't to be used.

No idea about the rear-firing MG.

9 hours ago, oggy4u said:

Is there an anti-submarine version of the Ki-51 Sonia ?

Not anti-submarine version per se but they did perform anti-submarine missions, claiming the last US ship sunk during WWII, the Balao-class submarine USS Bullhead (Wiki).

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There are references to Dark Blue being seen on Sonias in Formosa, which might imply an ASW role, possibly diminished as it is also recorded on Formosa-based Oscars.  Although old, I don't think that this has ever been convincingly overturned.  

Nor confirmed beyond doubt, as far as I know. JAAF colour #27 Ao Midori Iro can look rather blue in certain circumstances:

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/ww2-equipment-used-postwar.133127/

spacer.png

• 2 months later...