1/48th - Douglas A2D Skyshark by Clearprop Models - Released

Tbolt

14 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

Hm... looks very nice. But I wonder if the 'how man rivets/mm can you put on a modell kit surface' quest is a good one... 🤔 

Totally agree there. I spent vast amount of my time reducing Or ensuring that all countersunk rivets where to say a maximum of a piece of paper proud of the skin (.005”)This was followed by the painters rubbing down the surface, applying alacrome and then painting the surface. Which ends up at somewhere at about .010” thick. Sorry but you would find it difficult to see many a rivet line on newly painted aircraft.
Sammy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Depends on manufacturers surface treatment, some have highly pronounced rivets, some don't, we cannot generalize here, as far as I am concerned if done properly ( as small as possible) today's kit in 1/48 and larger scales without rivets looks toylike and bland, I applaud Clearprop's way, even in 72nd scale as seen on their Seasprite, again if done properly, as they did.

11 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

Well, this is on my purchase list for sure!

SD

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with your profile picture...

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Depends on manufacturers [...] 

I'd recommend you having a look over into the thread for Eduards new MK I Spitfire. Quite interesting exchange on opinions and facts on this topic. 

6 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Depends on manufacturers surface treatment, some have highly pronounced rivets, some don't, we cannot generalize here, as far as I am concerned if done properly ( as small as possible) today's kit in 1/48 and larger scales without rivets looks toylike and bland, I applaud Clearprop's way, even in 72nd scale as seen on their Seasprite, again if done properly, as they did.

Totally disagree, the use of holes as rivets is nothing like the real thing and looks toy like.

Sammy Da Fish is an ex airframe technician, that is somebody who has done the job on real aircraft, he knows what he's talking about.  I've seen Sam's work in the flesh and can vouch for it, his work is typical of all of the decent airframe techs I've worked with.

The current fad for using holes to depict rivets may be pleasing to you but please don't tell me it's accurate or more realistic.  Any aircraft that came to us looking like that had obviously been overstressed and would the skins replacing at the very least, if not scrapping!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Those of us who prefer rivets and those of us that don't both have valid reasons for it, lets enjoy the hobby...

Thomas, people are free to enjoy the hobby any way they like but please don't call these rivets, they're not, they're holes that rivets would go into, rivets don't leave holes, they fill them.

As an aircraft engineer, if was to sign off an aircraft with that many holes in it , it would be a gross dereliction of duty.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Thomas, people are free to enjoy the hobby any way they like but please don't call these rivets, they're not, they're holes that rivets would go into, rivets don't leave holes, they fill them.

As an aircraft engineer, if was to sign off an aircraft with that many holes in it , it would be a gross dereliction of duty

...as an engineer you do understand that model kit is a presentation of the real thing-not a pantographed copy, if you view things that way, you will no doubt decide to scrap panel lines and maybe scrap the whole idea, because of scale thickness of parts like trailing edges and canopies, I would not sign on those if I were you...enjoy the hobby, and cannot say enough how pleased I am with us getting Skyshark...

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very soon - ref. CP4802 - Douglas A2D Skyshark (early version)

https://clearpropmodels.com/cp_4802

This kit is designed for advanced modellers and includes fifteen sprues, one of which is clear, set of photoetched parts, resin parts, masks and two sheet of decals, one of which is technical stencils.
Markings are provided for four different schemes.

· XA2D-1 (122988), early type
· XA2D (122989), early type
· XA2D (122989), early type
· XA2D-1 (122989), early type

photo.png

Personally I'm waiting the late type boxing.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...