Tamiya XF-65 for RAF Light Slate Grey

ajmm

I’m building a 1:144 Spit Mk.XVIII based in Egypt in late-1940s postwar Middle East Air Force scheme of Light Slate Gray and Dark Earth over MSG. 

Light slate grey is a bit of an obscure colour only really appearing in the shadow scheme on some FAA biplanes (random application to Griffon Spits postwar screams ‘massive stash of unused paint in warehouses nr suez STOP use immediately on everything STOP’). I don’t have a matching shade to hand. 

IPMS Stockholm suggest Tamiya XF-65. I don’t suppose anyone has any views on this or can confirm whether this is indeed a good match before I buy a pot?

I'm sure this must have been discussed somewhere on this amazing forum. I really have looked but I really can’t find it. 

Thanks!

I used xtracrylix light slate grey on my Mk.18. The Dark Earth is Vallejo, the Medium sea grey is Tamiya. eugOguP.jpg

There are also colorcoats enamels colors. I looked at multiple paints and mixes, including Tamiya Xf-65. I thought the Tamiya color to be to grey, not enough of the green hue showed up. Ultimately it is your choice and your model. I  hope you find the color that works best for you. 

Dennis

PS- Here is a thread coving 18’s and Tempest VI’s i had for asking questions. 

maybe you can find something in there ? Or post an additional question based off what you see. You may get more traffic to view your question up in the Aviation section ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 4 months later...

Dennis - thank you and especially for the link to your thread. Lots of useful info in there. I went Tamiya in the end and it has come out a similar shade to your lovely spit above so that’s encouraging. 

Thanks again for taking time to share your suggestions. 

• Like 1