Trumpeter Lightning F3, 1/72

One from last year, Lightning F3 of 5 Sqn, RAF Binbrook circa 1969.

Built OOB, I found the Trumpeter kit excellent so will be building the F1 soon.

Slight fogging on the windscreen but have now learnt how to overcome that particular problem.

imageimageimageimage

• Like 29

Nice! The different shades of NMF make for an overall positive effect.

Plus, a fantastic subject. We really should have done whatever it takes to get this aircraft back flying on the air-display circuit.

I've no doubr that it would continue to inspire - like me as a kid. One of these things taking off leaves an unforgettable impression.

Edited by cybershed

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

All, 

is the Trumper the best available at present in this scale?

Martin

If you want an F.3 from one box then yes. But it cost £25 and it has some accuracy issues, but if you can get one cheap then it's not so bad but needs some work.

Edit - forgot about the Sword kit- a much better kit!

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

All, 

is the Trumper the best available at present in this scale?

Martin

No its the absolute worst!  at  best you can say is it looks something like a lightning at a distance, Treat yourself to an airfix F6/F2A it is far more accurate  and far cheaper.

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

No its the absolute worst!  at  best you can say is it looks something like a lightning at a distance, Treat yourself to an airfix F6/F2A it is far more accurate  and far cheaper.

Selwyn

I thought we were talking about F.3's?

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

They don't do a Mk.3! I thought that was the question?

They used to do an F3, I have a couple in the stash I think

Don't think they were up to the new tooled airfix ones though

Ian

Just now, Redstaff said:

They used to do an F3, I have a couple in the stash I think

Don't think they were up to the new tooled airfix ones though

Ian

Yes I was talking about in the new tooled ones. It's a shame they didn't bother with the F.1/F.3.

Just now, Tbolt said:

They don't do a Mk.3!

I know this may sound silly but the  Airfix F6  is more accurate as a basis for an F3 than the trumpeter F3.  the major work to the airfix kit would be to change the ventral tank  and a few other details. The work you would have to do to make the Trumpeter F3  look like a real F3 would be far greater!

Trumpeter have a incredibly slipshod attitude to  kit research,  most of their kits are really disappointing accuracy wise.

Selwyn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

I know this may sound silly but the  Airfix F6  is more accurate as a basis for an F3 than the trumpeter F3.  the major work to the airfix kit would be to change the ventral tank  and a few other details. The work you would have to do to make the Trumpeter F3  look like a real F3 would be far greater!

Trumpeter have a incredibly slipshod attitude to  kit research,  most of their kits are really disappointing accuracy wise.

Selwyn

The belly tank is quite a bit of work, but I forgot that Sword do a F.3! Far superior to the Trumpeter kit.

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

The belly tank is quite a bit of work, but I forgot that Sword do a F.3! I don't have one but based on the T.5 kit I would go for the Sword kit.

I would agree, easy way out is Sword F3 , but my comment about the airfix F6 stands!

Selwyn

5 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

No its the absolute worst!  at  best you can say is it looks something like a lightning at a distance

Agreed

3 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Airfix don't do a Mk.3!

Yes they do, it's an old tool OOP but should be readily available, and though basic it looks more like a Lighning than the Trumpeter abortion.

6 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Treat yourself to an airfix F6/F2A it is far more accurate  and far cheaper

If you're absolutely stuck on building an F3, you can start with a new F2A from Airfix an convert using an Alley Cat set or an early belly tank from an old tool Airfix kit and trim back the wing leading edge for the straight wing; or, as above, go for the Sword F3. Not quite as easy to build as the Airfix kit, and includes a bit of PE and resin, but no converting to do.

1 minute ago, Selwyn said:

I would agree, easy way out is Sword F3 , but my comment about the airfix F6 stands!

Selwyn

My Trumpeter F.3 looks a bit like one but has sat on the SoD for quite a while, as I started it before the Airfix and Sword Lightnings appeared. I still plan to finish it though.

26 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Agreed

Yes they do, it's an old tool OOP but should be readily available, and though basic it looks more like a Lighning than the Trumpeter abortion.

If you're absolutely stuck on building an F3, you can start with a new F2A from Airfix an convert using an Alley Cat set or an early belly tank from an old tool Airfix kit and trim back the wing leading edge for the straight wing; or, as above, go for the Sword F3. Not quite as easy to build as the Airfix kit, and includes a bit of PE and resin, but no converting to do.

Like I said I was replying to the new Airfix F.2A/F.6 comment and was referring to the new tool kits ( edited my post so it's clearer ). But if you want to be picky, Airfix don't do an F.3, they did an F.3 ;)

How you get to an F.3 easily really depends on how worried you are about accuracy but like you say the easiest way to get a reasonably accurate one is the Sword kit.

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

Ta and bugger - i just left one on the shelf at the Mind charity shop in Tunbridge Wells -£6! :(. Its an F.6. I was thinking about.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner