Mustang discovered.....

..... in my box of P-51 spares I hadn't looked in for ages!  I built this way back ... maybe late 60's or very early 1970's. At least at the time the Almark decal sheet came out and which I used on this build. Basically the original Airfix P-51 but with very fine rivet detail and raised lines for the controls like flaps and ailerons!. Closed up the u/c as they got broken off but did build up the fin fillet( maybe not quite 100% accurate but works) from Humbrol Plastic Wood... anyone remember the stuff?? I recall I was influenced on the mod by reading Alan Hall articles in the original red mast head Airfix magzines from the mid 1960's!!. Painted with Airfix silver G8 or possibly Humbrol silver no. 11.   Decals for RNZAF from the Almark set which also has a P-40 and Corsair. I still have an unused set of the same somewhere still in its poly pack!

jvbNBM.jpg

M71tCQ.jpg

9vnZz0.jpg

PxaqWZ.jpg

uEJPDP.jpg

M1tNtD.jpg

lOURhh.jpg

It needs a wipe down with a damp cloth to rid it of grime accumulated over the decades. The stand is a recent addition coming from my recent Airfix Harvard build. One for me to treasure as one of my earliest builds.

• Like 14

Nice one, it’s good to uncover old stuff. I was going through a box of my old toys from 40 odd years ago recently and found a wing from my first ever build, a Matchbox Strikemaster. It’s painted In Airfix Brunswick Green and has a Taiwanese rounded on one side and a Canadian flag on the other. God knows what that was all about.

Good to see a surviving old-school build.

All of mine (pre-1980 approx.) have long since been consigned to land fill!

Even the old Airfix stand on your P-51 brings back happy memories.

Thanks for showing us.

👍👍

One to treasure and good to see, thank you for sharing it.

Looking at the first two pictures you could be forgiven that the original Airfix Mustang was the inspiration for the PC9 and Tucano!

I have one up in the loft myself, along with an original Revell one to restore and thankfully a new Airfix P-51, so at least one of them will look like the real thing!

Wow! I remember that kit. Kitchen table build on Saturday evening with Dad helping. Shows how far we have come - it only vaguely looks like a Mustang really. Nice job from way back then and nice that it has survived.

Cheers

Malcolm