AP-2H Neptune "Gunship" 1/72 added updated picture

This is my Lockheed AP-2H Neptune using the Hasegawa P2V-7 kit and the Blackbird conversion set and decals. The AP-2H's were 4 P-2H (P2V-7) Neptunes converted to a Gunship configuration and used in Viet Nam. They were equipped with a Forward Looking IR (FLIR)sensor and Low Light TV (LLTV) in a pod in the nose, replacement radar, tail turret, fuselage mounted grenade launchers, downwards firing wing mounted miniguns and Side Looking Airborne Radar (SLAR). Bombs and napalm could also be carried on under wing pylons. In addition both the piston and jet engines where equipped with sound dampeners.  They were then painted with a 3 color gray camouflage. While there is at least one of these on display much of the special equipment such as the SLAR, sound dampers and armament was removed when they were  when they were withdrawn from Viet Nam so, good photographic documentation is almost none existent. 

The Hasegawa kit is old and shows its age with raised panel lines, flash, and a bare cockpit but, it went together well. I used a combination of the Pavla resin interior overlayed with the  Eduard etched brass that I think came out well. One comment is that the Pavla set includes 2 nicely cast seats for the pilot and copilot but, it does not have one for the observer in the nose. So I had to use the kit one spruced up with the Eduard seat belts. The Blackbird resin and decals were excellent, but both instructions were very lacking. The sound dampers were included but there were no instructions on mounting or coloring, and the some total of the decal instruction was a small left side profile. I assume this is because of the above mentioned lack of photos, but some commentary would have been helpful. Also the decals are missing the prop warning stripe and the jet intake warning chevron. I am guessing this is because there was no room on the sheet for them. Both of these are different then the normal red stripes and chevron that are solid red lines. These should be thin parallel lines with a space between them. I cheated and used a solid line for the prop warning, but punted on the jet intake warning. 

So on to the pictures.

hHtLPWP3_o.jpg

MvcXVE8J_o.jpg

uqoMPcXO_o.jpg

abDUQFG8_o.jpg

kFI233sb_o.jpg

OWxAYhA6_o.jpg

u5TqrGMs_o.jpg

So I made some mods; Uncovered the cheek windows, repainted the SLAR and jet engine sound dampers and added some Mk 82 bombs

YaLQLGS1_o.jpg

I still have 2 more Neptunes that I plan on building: an OOB P2V-7 and a P2V-5 with the Blackbird conversion, but these will have to wait since next up is the Mach 2 (arrg) Ryan X-13 Verijet.

Enjoy 

• Like 37

Very nice. I am waiting to see an OP-2E built :). The Blackbird set still hasn't appeared, unfortunately. I wont build one myself as I do t have the space, though. I wish I did! ;)

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I waited almost a year to find the AP-2H set. Every time I would ask it was always "soon" lucky @Julienhad a set that became surplus and sold it to me. Space is always an issue, but so far I have abben able to make room, for 1 more :) 

• Like 1

Brilliant job on the Neptune! I have an AP-2H I converted using the old (ancient?) In Country set that I've never completed. Looking at these pictures might get me going on that one again. I look forward to Blackbird's OP-2E conversion set - that's one I'm going to buy (I also have their P2V-5 set - I'm a bit of a Neptune nut).

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

I never knew the Neptune was used in this configuration.

Check out the Mutza P2V book. It has a chapter on it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hsr said:

Check out the Mutza P2V book. It has a chapter on it

I'm glad the book worked out for you :). It is about the best a available.

Martin

• Thanks 1

Excellent conversion and finish of a great kit.

The Squadron Signal special "Gunships: A Pictorial History of Spooky" from the late 1970's (?) has some very useful info and pics of this aircraft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FAAMAN said:

he Squadron Signal special "Gunships: A Pictorial History of Spooky" from the late

I have that book and I had completely forgotten about it. :rage:. It shows the SLARs as a dark brownish red. I'll have to fix that at some point.

Based on the drawing and pictures in the Squadron "Gunships A Pictorial History of Spooky" book I made a couple of mods. First I removed the masking from the 2 cheek window which I had forgotten to do. Second I repainted the SLAR a dark red/brown and the jet engines black, and finally I added some Mk 82 bombs to the 4 hard points on each wing. I still have no idea of the colors of the piston engine sound dampers so  I left them alone.

YaLQLGS1_o.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jackman said:

I don't suppose you have a spare Blackbirds AP-2H conversion set for sale?  I've been hunting for one of these myself.

No. I searched for almost a year for this one. They say they will be making them again.

Thanks

• Thanks 1