ASCALON........

Allan31

So I did some www research but didn't find anything definitive about the best way to get here....

ascalon3_zpslvklxt86.jpg

Apparently I have several choices. vac conversions, injected molded kits, resin, etc., etc..

In 1/72 scale what is the best way to get a good "Ascalon"? Also, to my eye, the name ASCALON written on the nose looks to me to be in yellow rather than white, I'm looking at the roundel

on the fuselage for grey tone comparison and it looks much closer to the yellow ring than the white ring.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Allan31

Depends how much money you want to spend. Personally, as a cheapskate with several 1979-vintage Airfix Lancasters in stock, if I wanted Ascalon specifically, with its atypical rectangular windows, I would be making my own fuselage out of balsa according to the Granger drawings. I think all the Czechmaster conversions are for the circular-windowed majority.

Much discussion here of Yorks in general

April 1967 Airfix Magazine can usually be found fairly readily and includes a good Alan W Hall article on the DIY approach, using the original Airfix Lancaster, but the 1979 issue would be the best bang for the buck IMO.

You can use Czech Master Resin fuselage (with round windows of course) or Mach 2 new York (also with round windows) or Mikro-Mir one (? - it is still "to be" I think)

Then you can cut out whole sides (rectangular) of fuselage containing all windows  and glue in a clear plastic card from CD box  - for instance. However - in case of York the fuselage sides  only almost flat - som maybe some more frlxible clear card than CD box will be better or use plastic card divided into smaller pieces. . Mask all windows with Tamiya tape and then use putty/sanding to make transition between fuselage and this clear part then rescribe surface on this area, paint and finally unmask windows. Good not to forget to add curtains behind windows...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Or you could do it the slightly harder way: get a Sanger York vacform, cut out its fuselage, tails and engine pods and marry them to the wings and smaller parts of an injection-moulded Lancaster. You could putty over the engraved round windows, level the excess putty by sanding it down and cut out new, square window frames. A clear plastic strip glued on the inside over the cutout window frames would simulate window glass panels.

• 1 month later...