Sunderlands in Burma

593jones

Reading accounts of the second Chindit expedition in Burma I was fascinated discover that, following a request from the 111 Brigade commander, Jack Masters, Sunderland flying boats were used to evacuate the brigade's sick and wounded from Lake Indawgyi.  The accounts, which are very brief, are in 'The Road Past Mandalay' by John Masters, and 'A Chindit Affair', by Frank Baines.

I wonder, would anyone out there know anything about this operation, i.e. the unit involved, the aircraft, what mark of Sunderland and individual aircraft used, or, indeed, anything else relevant?

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1

They were from 230 Sqn mate,....... Sunderland Mk.III`s,...... there is plenty of info on line if you do a Google search.

There is some good info here;

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/gert-and-daisy-the-sunderlands-in-burma.29469/

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 593jones said:

Thank you kindly, knew there was someone who would know!

No worries mate,..... enjoy reading the link!

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

No worries mate,..... enjoy reading the link!

Wow, just looked at the links, there's a mine of information there, thanks so much :thumbsup:

I first heard about the evacuation by Sunderland many years ago when I read Masters' book, but in those pre internet days research was more difficult; I had my interest revived very recently when I read Baines' book.  A brilliant operation that undoubtedly saved many lives.

• Like 1