Comet 4 fuselage cross section?

Hi, all... can anyone point me to some Comet plans with cross sections, or alternatively just tell me the answer: is the Comet 4 fuselage smoothly circular, or does it have a slight spine "peak"? I need to know how much to sand off the joint between the fuselage halves on the Novo kit I'm building...

best,

M.

I have a scale  drawing from the book

Aircraft Archive  Post-War Jets Volume 3 by Argus Books ISBN 0-85242-967-3 .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0852429673/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1556192829&sr=1-3-fkmrnull

On Amazon so overpriced  I think I paid around £5 for mine a couple of years ago . 21 aircraft covered  inc Comet 4 and the VC10 ! Worth the money just for that IMO

Fuse X section is a or almost a perfect circle full length except the wing join section / lower fuse area changes . Book also has an RAF VC10 C.Mk 1 in Air Support Command scheme. The best scale drawing of a VC10 anywhere .

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

I have a scale  drawing from the book

Aircraft Archive  Post-War Jets Volume 3 by Argus Books

Darn it... that appears to be the only one of those books I don't have! I'll have to keep my eyes open...

best,

M.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Due to sheet tolerances

What does that mean ?

1 minute ago, bzn20 said:

What does that mean ?

The difference in width of the many 8 x 4 foot sheets of aluminium used to clad the fuselage. 121 feet ( from long ago memory)  at a 4 ft width is is about 35 sheets (it’s late, so about...) say 36 for easy division .  Plus or minus 6 inches over 36 sheets allows for  1/6 of an inch per sheet. (.160” or 4mm)  if they were all short, you get - 6 inches, if they were all long, + 6 inches. Does that make sense?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Does that make sense

Not really . The metal is cut to meet the other/rivet at a dimension from the Blueprint . The Frames are jigged to a tolerance on the drawing . Riveted to Drawing dimension/land and pitch tolerances . The sheet metal has a tolerance in thickness but a fag packet sketch in width and length like you said . I know the Comet was hand built (and Nimrod) but 6 inch tolerance sounds a bit of a jump. Worse case , The plane is a foot longer and still in tolerance at +/- 6"  , halfway along it's 6 inches out ,the wing is further back ?  What happens to the Comet's wings in chord and span ? They are skinned too . Gaps between skins ( for anti friction) but that's around .3 " (1/8th") depending on drawing tolerance. I must have been working in another world . I've built Aeroplanes and Helicopters and skins were cut to drawing but usually to fit to a frame  ,rib, stringer etc. that was positioned on a major jig and fastener holes were steel sleeved pilots or full size depending on jig drawing ,taken from Blueprint . Jig was God except  for Westland Sea king sub assembly efforts like the Seaking FOD intake cover, baggy wasn't the word and drill holes were out on the stringers.

If it's true ,no wonder the Nimrod update failed , new wings wouldn't fit because 1990's tech met 1950's "It can go there".

Edited by bzn20

I was surprised too. Laying out the equipment racks for the AEW Nimrod we actually measured inside the aircraft, there appeared to be a lot more room than Hawker Siddleley had allocated. That’s when they produced the GA drawing showing the tolerances.  This was particularly difficult for running  waveguide the length of the aircraft ,a pieces had to be made on site to fit and then returned to the manufacturer to be finished and tested. Another feature of the build was fitting metric equipment into an imperial aircraft. Ever seen a 3/8 BSF bolt with a 10mm hex head?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

AEW Nimrod

Sounds like fun.. One maybe two of those were sat on the grass at RAF Abingdon 91/92 ready for breaking , a bunch of ex BA Super VC10s that weren't selected for the K4 Tanker conversions were sat on sleepers or just concrete nearby ,which I was taking bits off. Sad sight . How many AEWs got to the flying stage ?

Four, I think. DB1 was the flight test aircraft,  DB2 and DB3 electronics test, and I think the first production aircraft had flown too. GEC  got 50m for the cancellation, about 45m more than they would have got if it had carried on.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Comet was no different to any large aircraft of its era, no matter where built and no relation to the decision by British Governments to give independence to territories it controlled. Not saying any further beyond a broad statement of history. 

Edited by Mr T