Tiger I in Normandy

ExiledFish

I just today got a Dragon Tiger I that I pounced on in my local art shop. It’s Dragon kit no. 6730 Early Production Mk VI Ausf E, “Wittman’s Command Tiger”. But on getting home and doing some swift googling I realise I’ve made an error and bought the wrong type of Tiger :(

I’m looking to do a set of 1/35 ‘British Army in Normandy’ AFVs, incl one’s they faced on the battlefield. I’m just polishing off a Firefly and have designs on a Cromwell, Achilles, Mk IV and Panther as well as a Tiger (I don’t care for Wittmann, so aim to do another type at Totalize). By Normandy, 101 were using the Mid/Late Production and consequently I have the wrong one.

Does anyone know how easy it is to convert the Early into a Late, in the Dragon world? I spy a lot of spare parts in this kit which may allow for it, but not sure if I should try converting it or just buy the other version and go through the palaver of ebaying this one.

Also, does anyone know the actual differences between Early and Late Tiger I’s? I can’t find them anywhere. Are they glaringly obvious or internal?

5 hours ago, JackG said:

Very detailed list of changes here:

http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml

Some of the obvious things to note is you would need all steel road wheels, completely different type commander's cupola, and zimmerit.

regards,

Jack

Bah, yes. Also the Feifel (?) tubes on the rear deck. Looks like an eBay job tbh as an aftermarket buyfest will likely miss something and end up just as costly. Curses.

Lesson to be learned for me here in not making spontaneous model purchases next time...

Thankyou! Also, thankyou for the links.

Don't sell this Dragon kit. Get yourself the proper late Tiger kit. The best option is either an Afv club late with additional Zimmer.  Or you just order the Dragon kit 6383 which was assumed to be the best option for a long time. Looking on ebay.com from international sellers should result in reasonably prices offers.

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

Don't sell this Dragon kit. Get yourself the proper late Tiger kit. The best option is either an Afv club late with additional Zimmer.  Or you just order the Dragon kit 6383

Yes, I think I’ll do that. I’ll put this one on the very back-burner for when I get round to the Östfront in a year or so... Thankyou!

That kit actually builds Wittman's Command Tiger (allegedly) so you'd have to convert it to a normal Tiger for starters.

There were a couple of Early Tigers fighting in Normandy, in Kampfgruppe Schulze and Panzerkompanie Hummel. They are reasonably well covered by photos.

David

Edited by DByrden
line breaks