1/144 Revell Type VII C/41

With the Fairmile B near completion, I'm after a straightforward build with a chance to do some weathering so what better subject to attend to than this old favourite..

And Beefy ....dont say anything about multiple projects (I hang my head:blush: :blush:)

31954a28-3e19-4461-8802-775ea64b89ab.jpg

It's a shame that the VIIC is out of production and not available anywhere that I can find.  I hope that Revell will re-release it.  This later example will do in it's place equipped with the Wintergarden rear gun positions that became so necessary from 1943 as the U-boat war turned in favour of the allies, due in part to greater air cover from allied aircraft, such as the long range Liberator.  By 1944 U-boat losses and attrition reached record levels and their passage through the bay of Biscay from Western French ports became a gamble with many sunk by marauding aircraft.  Flak defences became an absolute necessity.

I'll be using some of these goodies..

d5cfd716-b968-4b27-baa5-c1aae6348d6b.jpg

I've been inspired by this build which I think is just exquisite....

U-991 Type VIIc U-boat. Revell 1/72.  by Tristan R.

This web site is an authoritative mine of information, which I've digested knowing very little about U-boats...

https://amp.rokket.biz/

These pdfs within the site not immediately easy to find are essential and sit under "Books"

https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf

https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_2.pdf

One thing I'm certain about is that I'll be doing the superstructure in a darker shade than on most models you see on the web, either Blaugrau or Schlickgrau; more of this later.

Here are some original pics to whet the appetite

f99be604-1661-4124-8067-4f24b1844e37.jpg

94743ca3-053c-421b-b5bb-9651e2dd3bb6.jpg

5ad1dfdb-6587-441f-83e7-776b5762d43a.jpg

e6839efd-59d7-4556-a022-402ca7d2bf07.jpg

Photos of this later VIIC/41 "Atlantic" version are far fewer in number than for it's more numerous brother the VIIC.

The first thing to address before any building is to address the issue of the vents.  Like the 1/72 offering, the appearance benefits enormously from cutting/drilling them out

bfbbf4e8-8007-42ac-b615-5a40b87916b3.jpg

The larger vents lend themselves to simple drilling..

8653271a-ece4-42e5-a13a-34317533de28.jpg

The smaller holes present a far more challenging proposition.  The RC Subs etch set  https://www.rcsubs.cz/index.php/photo-etched-sets/38-sets-for-kit-viic41-1-72-revell-5046  offer etched plates that you can insert with the small drain holes, but being the nervous type (and lazy) the idea of cutting plastic out and replacing with etch produces a cold sweat and the need to sit down for 20 minutes:blink2:

A far easier method IMHO is to scrape or file away the area behind the moulded holes seeking to get the plastic thin enough that you can "breakthrough" with a pin or something sharp as follows..

4ea5012a-e58a-413f-b3e9-9bb0a287497b.jpg

Using the back of an 11 blade to scrape is far quicker than filing..

a1812860-d4ac-4220-ba58-d4b0430ddc1b.jpg

35c600a5-0bf4-4eaa-8877-fbbe0f3e934b.jpg

2c8e3b8a-d426-49dd-9c8d-1957faba3cda.jpg

It's not quick and you need to be patient, but it's pretty hard to screw up.  You get to this..

f06598bf-3e00-4f5b-98be-333db3bc9cb0.jpg

bb0b92ae-a731-4477-af59-40b2c8fabdba.jpg

8423cbe4-50f9-451a-8371-04eedcd38c7c.jpg

It's nice to back with good old plastic!!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13

:popcorn:  :drink:

I'm in 

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Oh... nice Rob, looking forward to seeing this take shape B)

couldn't agree more with the honourable gentleman 

and I don't do subs. 

No pressure Rob, this is going to be good and don't worry I wont let you forget about the B 😉

Kev

• Like 1

Good start, reminds me of the VIIc iI've done few years back. I had that nice Griffon set as well for the earlier version. What goes well with this one is the Preiser Figures in 1:144. 

g29_zpshdwxe08a.jpg~original

Sorry for off top

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 8

Me saying anything about multiple builds as if I would. :shrug:

Off to a cracking start great little ish kit this ready for more when you are  :popcorn:

beefy 

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas :D

On 4/25/2019 at 11:08 PM, Michael M said:

Good start, reminds me of the VIIc iI've done few years back. I had that nice Griffon set as well for the earlier version. What goes well with this one is the Preiser Figures in 1:144. 

g29_zpshdwxe08a.jpg~original

Sorry for off top

Mike - Don't aplogise for "off top"!!

That's inspirational and I'd not seen it previously.  Hard to believe that's 1/144.  Figures look great and that winch mech/pulley system at that scale is really Fine work!

One of the Downsides of the Britmodeller site set up is that it's hard to follow an individuals past builds.  They get "buried" in the RFI.  I wish that there was a facility for an individual to have a separate "Gallery" where all their past builds could sit and be seen.  Too bad.

You've set the benchmark high - I wasn't going to do the separate handrails ........but now that I'v sen yours.....;)

Looks like you did that long "undercut"  drain hole as well - respect - That's too scary for me:whistle:

Rob

I think I never posted that model here... That was before I joined... Sorry. Full build thread, in polish is here:

https://modelwork.pl/topic/25062-faszystofski-batyskaf-u-zweihunderteins/

I didn't cut that long hole, that's just wash :)  As for tracking down someone's builds you can and it actually is quite simple. You go into the person's profile then pick the content and then click on topics. That will show you all the topics started by that person. By definition that will give you all the WIPs and RFIs .

Torpedo loading aparatus comes in the Griffon set along with the torpedo, my only addition was the winch which they managed to overlook ;). 

Good luck with yours I'll gladly watch it all over again.

Cheers

Mick

2 hours ago, Michael M said:

I think I never posted that model here... That was before I joined... Sorry. Full build thread, in polish is here:

I didn't cut that long hole, that's just wash :) As for tracking down someone's builds you can and it actually is quite simple. You go into the person's profile then pick the content and then click on topics. That will show you all the topics started by that person. By definition that will give you all the WIPs and RFIs

Cheers

Mick

Mick - I'm indebted - I had never sussed that:doh:

Rob

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I wish that there was a facility for an individual to have a separate "Gallery" where all their past builds could sit and be seen. 

You can list your own, which is a great start. An idea I borrowed from @Kallisti

If you look at the bottom of any of my post you'll see

Work in Progress and completed builds https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/14447-longshanks/&tab=field_core_pfield_11

HTH

Kev