Bell P-63C KingCobra - 1/48th AMG A de l'A en Indochine

A belated Happy Easter all!
This was finished the other day.  AMG's Kingcobra finished with Begemot's decals to represent an French Cobra of GC 1/5 "Vendee" based in Indochina around 1949.

AMG's kit is very nice but needs some care in construction to ensure assembly is neat. The clear parts fit well with a little  sanding around the door rims ( always an issue for the car door Cobra family) but their clarity is a little bottle glass!  The model NEEDS nose weight - I had to add more into the nose gear bay and the underbelly tank as the lead in the nose wasn't enough. This is especially true if you extend the nose oleo to give a typical sit for the P-63.  If I was to build another I'd use one of those "liquid gravity" type systems to fill every crevice in the nose and probably the wing leading edges too!!

Most French Kingcobras show the nose wheel hub uncovered - so this was scratch built from plasticard and added to the separate plastic kit tyres.  Gun barrels were replaced with Albion Alloys' tubing, and extra plumbing added to the wing tanks. Finish is decanted Tamiya silver acrylics, with panels picked out in tinted Tamiya silvers and Vallejo metal colours, the whole patchwork  was then heavily post shaded and then blended  using a mix of the base colour and Tamiya gloss.   The Begemot decals were thin and unresponsive to my usual Mr Mark Setter but eventually settled  using good old Micro Sol. They stick like limpets but if you use a little spit ( yep spit - an old Propagteam decal trick I remembered) as well as setting solution, then they slide around like an Ice lolly on a Morris Marina roof in August 1976 :)

Final weathering with MIG Starship Filth oil brusher, and some airbrushed exhaust over the Galleria matt varnish.  You'll note that the scale "Mecos" cleaned the engine access panel on one side while servicing the engine, rather than the the exhaust staining going  "a la forme du poire" :) 

The P-63 was by all accounts a decent fighter that suffered from being 'last amongst equals'. It looks like it means business though, and French roundels always enhance any subject in my opinion.
Hope you like her! All comments welcome as ever.  On les aura!

Jonners

OCCNxT0.jpg

2RHs787.jpg

64exqb2.jpg

4x7NqvP.jpg

h51nTmJ.jpg

• Like 37

Well I like that a lot!  Well done Jonners

44 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

then they slide around like an Ice lolly on a Morris Marina roof in August 1976

There's a mental picture to conjure with!  The ice lolly was probably worth more than the car - certainly more useful.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 2

Great work, unusual to see one in French roundels & all the more welcome for that.

A reminder of what my High Tech kit might have turned out like had I not binned it!

Pete

Jonners,

That is without a doubt the best Kingcobra build I have seen in any scale! I loved the choice of markings, too- no disrespect, but I'm tired of seeing Soviet and plain Jane USAAF choices. Your bare metal and exhaust streaking are dead-on and VERY realistic. I can only hope to do my 1/72 kit half as good- I  might even change my scheme from an overall orange RP-63 Pinball to a French machine. Well done! (A very capable aircraft, but by the time the engine/supercharger issues were  tackled, it was not enough of an improvement to justify production when the P-38, P-47, and P-51 were doing the job. One can only wonder how things would have been different in the Pacific if the P-63 had been available instead of the low-altitude only P-39.) Ex-astronaut Frank Bormann owns and flies a beautifully restored P-63A and he has commented on what a great flying machine it is.

Mike

I had no idea that the P63 had continued in service after the war let alone in French service. 

It's a very pleasing model. I always think the addition of French roundels add a certain 'Je ne sais quoi' to any aircraft. 

Jonners that is an absolute beaut mate,........ in fact I`d go as far as saying that it is awesome,....... mega respect bud.

I wanted to do an aircraft from the same unit using the old Special Hobby kit in the P-39/P-63 GB,...... but I gave it up as a bad job! 

Fabulous to see a French P-63 so well replicated mate,

Cheers

Tony