1/16 Trumpeter Panther Ausf. G question

Thanks for that, ronnie . . .i've decided to bite the bullet and use the kit tracks. I 'm doing the links and guide horns in stages of 20 a time, that way I won't get "Track fatigue " plus my fingers and thumbs can recover, ha ha ha ! Once they're assembled and painted they'll look good, plus I know they will fit.  :cheers:

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, ronnie42 said:

Hi  Made a start on this kit , Trumpeter does not do us any favours regarding the interior colours . Ground to a halt at stage 7 lots of hull red . Need some info on the colours etc .  Do the interior paint sets list a colour chart for the gearbox,turret power unit , drivers levers ,etc. Found lots of pics of torsion bars 3 colours and transmission also 3 colours.   Books that are good for interior details and pics? Another option is buying the Takom or Ryefields kit for better info, but my eyes are starting to struggle on 1/35 extra fine detail. Thanks.

Loads of excellent books around.... but probably the 'Panther Project' books one and two..would be what you need for interior colours...

let me know what you need...

Edited by maybach_man
additional info

I agree about the colour info ( Or lack of it ! ) I found some pictures on the web from the instructions for the Takom & Rye Field Panthers which were very useful. The red oxide colour in the hull should only be up to the level of the floor, with the rest being the interior pale  ( cream ? ) colour, as is the turret. I used Humbrol 126 dark grey for the transmission, turret motor ( In the bottom of the hull ) and the driver's levers and pedals.

The engine bay I painted all red oxide, with the engine itself being dark grey. The two boxes ( Fans / filters ? ) on top of the engine were painted off white. The turret basket is red oxide, with the various mechanisms dark grey. I think that's fairly accurate, but do bear in mind that there were differences depending on where they were built, so my model is approximately correct ( I think ! )

Anyway, have a search around the web and see what  else might be there.

PS : Have fun fitting the guide horns to all the track links !  😄  HTH.

• Like 1

Parts H1 and H2 are fitted as per the drawing. I found a three part video on Youtube looking inside and outside of the Panther, and you can see that those parts are as shown on the instructions. HTH:cheers:

Trumpeter kit is missing lots of wiring , not that i plan to fit all the cables. Some of the 1/35 kits have wiring moulded in , was thinking should i buy a Panther kit with interior to have a better idea . Could spend days looking for interior pics then bookmarking them🙄

I think it's entirely up to you if you want to add extra detail,I'm quite happy with the parts I have ( All 2,300 of them ! ) and it still looks an impressive model.I should have mine finished in the next couple of weeks, and if I can work out how to post pics I will. 

Beware that if you are beginning to look at period interior pictures, you are very likely to discover that the Trumpeter kit is missing other details beside wiring, and have stuff wrong. Just look at what people like David Parker (AFV Modeller) etc do with the Tiger II and Pz IV kits. I have no reason to believe the Panther to be any different, but who knows? :)

50 minutes ago, Arild Moland said:

Beware that if you are beginning to look at period interior pictures, you are very likely to discover that the Trumpeter kit is missing other details beside wiring, and have stuff wrong. Just look at what people like David Parker (AFV Modeller) etc do with the Tiger II and Pz IV kits. I have no reason to believe the Panther to be any different, but who knows? :)

I don't doubt you are probably right, Arild, but I've almost finished my model and it's quite impressive as it is, so I'm happy with it, and I've built it to the best of my ability with the info I have.

If I was building an F-104 that would be a different matter, as I have LOADS of detail stuff on that . ! 

3 hours ago, Arild Moland said:

That's the spirit, I'd say! I'm like you on this. Some projects I go all out on the references, while with other stuff it is straight OOB. Either way, these big kits will look impressive on the shelf when done.

You're right, it DOES look impressive, and externally at least it looks accurate. I have the Haynes manual for the Panther, and inside there's a photo of the engine bay and the kit looks exactly like it. I just have the decals and tools, etc. to fit and then it's done  ) Can't stop looking at it ! )

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Version 2 of the cover for the SEOSS sights. Improved the fidelity of the cover by adding facets. Also added holes to facets as per the prototype. 

spacer.png

You can see the pillars between the seven holes in the facets starting on the cover on the left. 

spacer.png