Question about the book titled "Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft"

Hamsterman

Hi all,

Quick question about this book.  A few years back there was a Spitfire-related thread in which a gentleman was looking for the serial number of a 681 Sqn Spitfire in India based on the "Y" squadron marking.  Someone listed off the squadron code and serial number for over two dozen 681 Sqn Spitfires and referenced the book Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft.  To anyone who has this book, could you tell me if it has a similar list for all RAF PR squadrons and all PR airframes? For example, if I was interested in the two San Severo-based 682 Sqn Spitfires below, would I be able to find the serial numbers associated with the "E"?  I believe the PR.XIX coded "F" in the background is already known to be RM640.  What about 680 Sqn PR Mossies?

Thanks.

Chris

SPIT-PR-XI-682-SQN-SANSEVERO-9-44_001

Try "Discovery" the web portal for the National Archives. Some 862 Sqn Operational Record Books have been digitised. the free viewing pages have been downgraded, but I can make out serials for Spitfires PA911, MB938 and PA867 used during Jan 1944 for instance, under AIR27/2204/2. No codes were noted alongside the serial however, but try going through every month, you may get lucky. 861 Sqn lists both. (AIR27/2201/2) 

5 minutes ago, Ossington said:

Try "Discovery" the web portal for the National Archives. Some 862 Sqn Operational Record Books have been digitised. the free viewing pages have been downgraded, but I can make out serials for Spitfires PA911, MB938 and PA867 used during Jan 1944 for instance, under AIR27/2204/2. No codes were noted alongside the serial however, but try going through every month, you may get lucky. 861 Sqn lists both. (AIR27/2201/2) 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been doing just that and trying to go month by month.  So far, a lot of serial numbers and no codes for 682 Sqn.