Fujimi 1/72 Spitfire XIV Undercarriage Question...Doh! Solved.

fightersweep

Hi all;

I've got a couple of Fujimi 1/72 Spitfire XIV lowbacks on the go at the moment. First time I've built these kits. Seems ok out of the box, if a little over complicated in some areas and too basic in others (cockpit detail...where is it??).

My problem is with the undercart. I've built the legs and fitted the U/C doors as per the instructions, but the problem arrived once I tried dry fitting the legs into the wing. It doesn't work! The lugs on the legs don't reach the socket in the wing as the U/C door is in the way. I've built it in sequence, and the doors are fitted correctly, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work! If the doors were removed, and re-fitted after gluing the legs in place, then it seems to me the undercarriage would look too short and the U/C doors would be in the wrong place.

Anyone else built this kit and had the same problem? I would be grateful for any feedback.

Best regards;

Steve

10 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Haven't built it.  Any chance you could work up a photo of the situation?

Sure! I'll try and snap some photos later today 🙂

Steve

Doh!!

Scrub that folks! Guess who missed a key part in the instructions. I overlooked the part that has you trim off the top part of the U/C doors if the trolleys are desired in the down position! Not something you usually have to do with a Spitfire kit, but my mistake for not reading the destructions carefully. Assembled kit part accordingly trimmed and now fits (although I still think the legs look a little short)

Note to self. Just coz I've been modelling for 40 years doesn't mean that I shouldn't pay attention to the instructions!!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• fightersweep changed the title to Fujimi 1/72 Spitfire XIV Undercarriage Question...Doh! Solved.

Glad you are sorted. I see there are a few comments around about the u/c legs maybe being a bit short, leading to a rather low deck angle when posed on the ground. You might want to compare with this one as it shows the underside of the completed kit. I think most people fit the doors after the legs, if only to protect them from being knocked off during final fit-out, decalling, weathering etc. 

• Thanks 1

How many times have I said to the wife, "I don't need those" regarding the instructions/manual upon first starting to set some new gadget/thing up, only for it to happen 15 minutes later I'm using language that would make a sailor blush and feeling like chucking the whole thing over the neighbour's fence!

Instructions? Who needs 'em!

...well until you realise that you've screwed the whole thing on backwards or done whatever it is upside down.

:)