Question about US green seat harnesses

Phantome

Hello,

Quick question: can anyone enlighten me with the story of USAAF/USN green seat harnesses? I notice that all the Eduard photoetch seatbelts have half of them in beige and the other half in green but I have never seen pictures of any US aircraft with green harnesses during the war though I have read that they were used late in the war (1945). Can anyone shed more light on this story? Around what time did this become commonplace? Did all aircraft switch to green or just certain manufacturers?

From the looks of it, methinks Eduard should have gone for mostly tan seatbelts on their sets, and just offered one or two green.

I think the main supplier for seatbelts/harnesses switched over in 44. So they started showing up after that. I personally don't know if it was as simple as a material change ? Personally i tend to think it was done in USN/USMC aircraft and possibly USAAF for a safety reason. My theory is based on the fact that flight suits and tropical uniforms in the navy/corps were tan. In an emergency or if the cockpit were smoky. The opposing colors of tan and green, may have made it easier to find the belt to release it. Either by pilot or rescue crew. Then again it could just be as simple as a material change by the maker ? Unless someone comes forward with a regulation stating why ? It will be left to wonder and theorizing. 

Dennis

• Like 1