Panhard EBR Armoured Car Query

Hamden

Hi

Building a Hobby Boss 1/35 Panhard EBR and at present can't find any pictures of the exhaust system which I believe is situated between the two centre metal wheels.

Would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for some pictures of this area.

Many thanks in advance for any help and thanks for taking the time to drop by

Roger

Hi John

Thanks for your prompt reply they are a set of very useful photo's.

I'll study them in detail later.

Thanks again for your time and trouble

Roger

• Like 1

There are several views that show a pipe up from the bottom of the hull side to what looks like a very slim muffler under the fender between the metal wheels.  Can't work out where the exhaust gas actually exits unless there's a hidden exit pipe not visible in the photos.

The Bovington EBR in their VCC is accessible on Saturday during Tiger Day.  I'll see if I can get any clearer pics of the exhaust specifically.

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The Bovington EBR in their VCC is accessible on Saturday during Tiger Day.  I'll see if I can get any clearer pics of the exhaust specifically.

If you have the time and opportunity  that would be great thank you. I can't make Tiger day this year so would appreciate your help. I believe that there is 2 EBR's in the VCC the original from the museum hall and a second that came from Shrivenham around 2012.

I think your right about the slim silencer boxes but I can't find any reference of an exhaust exit.

Thanks again for your time and trouble

Roger

I managed to get some photos under the fenders.  Lighting was very gloomy and I foolishly contrived to leave my SLR bag at home, so these are camera phone by torchlight.

I'll try to describe the exhaust system with the pictures.

Each side of the hull, centrally between the metal wheels, a pipe rises vertically.  It disappears into a hollow housing behind the central fender triangle, and is braced to the bottom of that triangle from a joint in the pipe.  The housing is not rusty and must therefore be a protective shield and part of the fender structure rather than part of the actual exhaust.

poUAaFn.jpg

0hFwDvR.jpg

Extending either side of that shield/housing there is a horizontal muffler up under the fender.  It is longer one side than the other, with the longer side under the rectangular exhaust vent on top of the fender.  Note the outer ends shaped to clear the retracted central wheels.  There seems to be the remnants of some asbestos cloth on the inside face of the central fender triangle.

IOuJtbB.jpg

i4P4c0V.jpg

• Like 1

@Das Abteilung very many thanks for these pictures, they help a lot. Just to be clear the exhausts exit under the wings over each pair of metal wheels and not through the top of the wings.

Hope you had a good day with Tiger 131, I really do appreciate you taking time out of your day to get these pictures again many thanks.

Roger

Ah yes.  I see the exhaust exits now.  Didn't notice them at the time.

That's OK.  The VCC is always worth a look on the rare occasions it's open.  I see that we're both near neighbours to the Museum anyway.  There's nothing better on a Saturday lunchtime than the sound of a V12 Maybach and the clank of tracks on tarmac. 

• Like 1