1/48 Tornado F3

I think you'll just have to try it and see what works, if at all. It may be that the thinners didn't remove anything but simply smeared the overspray around a bit.

We eagerly await a report on your results!

Oh, and before I forget, don't be too vigourous in whatever you do, or you could cause some stress fractures in the clear plastic. You can fill them with the Klear/Gauzy, but won't eradicate them altogether.

Edited by Steve Coombs
More info than first offered
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions chaps; I have tried all substances but sadly nothing seems to have worked. It smells quite minty now though!

spacer.png

At least I've learnt not to use Humbrol enamel thinners to clean paint off canopies.

Have to see if I can find another Tornado canopy somewhere. I thought there'd be an aftermarket one but it only seems to be cockpits, seats, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks light it's going to fight you all the way to the finish, but fair play for sticking with it :) 

Have you tried posting in the wanted section in general discussion for a spare canopy?

You'll be amazed what some people have and are willing to part with, I bet there have been a fair few Airfix tornados that never reached the canopy fitting stage and someone may have kept them in the spares box

It's worth a shot for a couple of minutes on the keyboard

Ian :) 

• Like 1

I've been reading nice things about Novus plastic polish, but haven't used it myself - yet.

There's a clean and shine, which would probably be the thing to use here, plus fine and heavy scratch removers.

60ml bottles though, so you'd need to cloud a lot of canopies to get your money's worth!

I may need to commune with a large South American river in the near future.

• Like 1

Drop Airfix customer services a line. They may have one. They've rescued me before.

Also, how easy is it to vacform? Never tried it, but you have the original to work from.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looks light it's going to fight you all the way to the finish, but fair play for sticking with it :) 

Have you tried posting in the wanted section in general discussion for a spare canopy?

You'll be amazed what some people have and are willing to part with, I bet there have been a fair few Airfix tornados that never reached the canopy fitting stage and someone may have kept them in the spares box

It's worth a shot for a couple of minutes on the keyboard

Ian :) 

I would do Ian but I'm temporarily banned from that section as I didn't realise you were only allowed to post one wanted item not create multiple threads! I think it ends in a couple of weeks!

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Drop Airfix customer services a line. They may have one. They've rescued me before.

Also, how easy is it to vacform? Never tried it, but you have the original to work from.

Good shout! I forgot about that, I think I've got a form from an old kit, I'll send it off - thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thing is guys, with the canopy I think what made it worse was I stupidly thought the paint thinner I clean my brushes with would clean off the oversprayed paint. The thinners made it cloud up. Will toothpaste or nail varnish remover clear that up or have I destroyed the chemical composition of the clear plastic?

Whilst no expert in these matters, I would have thought that as long as the thinners haven;t permiated all the way through the canopy, then sanding back and polishing should eventually provide a clear canopy!

What's the worst that can happen, if the canopy is already damaged beyond repair, trying to sanding and polish wont make the situation worse, just confirm that a new canopy is needed!

I'll check my spares but I'm pretty certain I don't have one!

Tony C

• Thanks 1

Good shout! I forgot about that, I think I've got a form from an old kit, I'll send it off - thanks!

No need. You can do it online as long as you have the kit and part number.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3838giuseppe said:

Hi, I've seen your work and I wanted to congratulate you on your courage.

If you have the decals for this kit, I would be interested in buying them.

🤗Let me know

Hi

I still have the Italian AF Tiger Meet decals, which you're welcome to for free if you want them? I used all the RAF ones and stencils though.

Send me a pm with your address if you'd like the Tiger Meet ones and I'll get them in the post to you.

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Hi

I still have the Italian AF Tiger Meet decals, which you're welcome to for free if you want them? I used all the RAF ones and stencils though.

Send me a pm with your address if you'd like the Tiger Meet ones and I'll get them in the post to you. 

Thank you so much, I'm interested at the Italian decals ones. I send you my address in MP..., then tell me how I can reciprocate...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't panic on the canopy...

I think I have a spare Italeri one.  It may not be perfect but you can fettle and fit it with your skills.

I'll have a look.

• Thanks 1