Bristol Type 72 Racer Scrachbuild 1/32

That must have used a lot of filler!

Surprising little just about an inch (25.4mm) of miliput and a few smears of squadron for the fine lines.  But I reckon the wing fairings are going to take about hafl a pack of miliput :) 

Edited by Marklo

Great work so far! A very interesting-looking little aeroplane, sort of a distant relative of the Caproni Stipa. Remember that if you do this as it appeared before its first flight (when it didn't have the race number), it was unrigged. It was meant to be cantilever, the wires were added to stop wing flutter or some such. I built one of these many years ago, in 1/72nd scale vacuform - it came out rather well, as I recall (my first vacuform).

Regards,

Jason

47026758234_450b2f8aeb_z.jpg

Closer to the front this is the engine cowling (I think) propeller and spinner go forward of it.

47816318231_30267d41b1_z.jpg

Fitting the wheel wells and wings (in the right place this time). Superglue took an age to set, hence the tape to hold things in p[lace (sort of)

47816318341_31724861c2_z.jpg

A whole pack of Milliput later (I kid you not) wing fairings nearly there. Had to cut and reseat the starboard wing as I got the dehedral all wrong on it, but fixed now.

33939095238_3fd72a6682_z.jpg

This is where a lot of the filler went. I decided the wing profile was a bit too concave, so I'm filling it out with milliput then going to skin it with lined 10 thou card to restore the rib detail (and prevent about 4 hours sanding).  Almost done with the filler now. It's shaping up pretty well. (need to buy more milliput) 

• Like 5

Marklo; just in case that you would need 1/32 scale decals for your Bristol, those are available at Arctic Decals website.

Mika

Edited by provencenut

On 5/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Marklo said:

47749847162_305036919d_z.jpg

The current collection of bits. Crash molded an upper deck, fabricated a fuselage, with much filling and sanding (milliput and then squadron white so it looks like I made it that way)

32858607827_5a2c9c011d_z.jpg

Scribed and installed the tail surfaces (although it could have been the other way round) and wonder of wonders they're straight and square.

40835799873_4bafb7cd47_z.jpg

Fitted the wings, only to realise that I'd set them about 20mm too far aft, Still no harm done will adjust the cutouts and reattach them, the wing roots are going to have to be faired in with a lot of milliput which will cover up the resultant oversized slot. 

Enjoying this one, but I must admit, just like the Floh (which I really must finish) it makes me smile when I look at how ridiculous it looks.

Great job on this one !

Just looking like an ancestor of the Gee Bee R1 to me !!

Sincerely.

CC

32895256997_71304bf698_z.jpg

After buckets of filler comes hours of sanding. Painted it green, when it's back to yellow I know I'm finished sanding, although I don't need to be so meticulous on the wing undersurfaces as I'm going to skin them with card once they're sanded more or less smooth.. Put a floor into the wheel wells and started fabricating the undercarriage from brass sheet. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, provencenut said:

Marklo; just in case that you would need 1/32 scale decals for your Bristol, those are available at Arctic Decals website.

Mika

This is a lovely looking model, but I've got to say - that's kind of a niche market, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Unkempt said:

This is a lovely looking model, but I've got to say - that's kind of a niche market, isn't it?

That is true. One of my customer once asked me to make them. Well, I made them and also resized them into 1/72 scale, which I have managed to sold (obviously) better.

Mika

Edited by provencenut
typo
  • Like 2

47808743512_c9dec3f201_z.jpg

I already have my main artwork done. I cut a bitmap out of the photo then used expression to draw and edit a B-spline around it.  Once I paint the fuselage I was going to photograph it to match the red and then  print it either on clear film with white underneath or on the white.

How many have been sold. Hmm €12 Would double my outlay on the build :)

Not to start a controversial debate but I'm very conflicted on aftermarket stuff in general. It can be nice to buy a sub-component (engines, decals etc) but the ready availability of add ins (I feel) dilutes the hobby and makes it very expensive too. Let me explain my issue, I subscribe to Airfix magazine (digitally I might add) and although I like reading the magazines, the builds all tend to be kit a, with resin cockpit set b, and landing gear set c and detail set d which to me means that there is a lot of assembly going on but little or no creative modelling skill, also the build will have gone up to €50 plus by the time you've got  the kit and the resin and the PE, yes the end result is very nice, but for me the stand out builds are where the modeler has made something unique and applied some measure of skill in building and detailing the model, other than just putting someone else's bits together. Now don't get me wrong, if you're happy with that then that's ok, but it doesn't work for me (Puts soapbox away)

• Like 4

What you have written Marklo is true: however I do not have the computer skills to be able to do what you have done with transfers and markings. I suspect that many others do not either, so asking somone else to do it is the only option if we want to use a particular logo or set of markings. I also agree with your comments about assembly, (I write this as an inveterate scratch builder), but again I am all too aware that not everyone has the time/patience/skill necessary to scratch build. There was a time when I also lacked some or all of these elements, but I still wanted something to take my mind away from everyday life - somewhere to escape to even for short periods. I am sure that that is an important reason why most modellers make models - and when we put time and effort into something we want it to look as good as we possibly can. This is not to disagree with what you have written - far from it in fact - but simply to put another perspective. Modelmaking is surely a house with many rooms and as you suggest, we should be happy to occupy the room that best suits our pleasure and abilities. (I will now put my soapbox away too).

BTW the Bristol is really shaping well - literally so with all of that filler! I do like the idea of painting the rough so that you can see when to stop - must keep that idea for future reference.

P

Edited by pheonix
extra comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pheonix.  I do agree with you . It's a hobby and we do it for fun (and in my case distraction from CFS as well) and I wouldn't criticize anyone who is doing that whatever their skill level, so long as they enjoy it. I love the fact that the aftermarket is there when you I want to treat myself or for things I hate doing (like radial engines and wheels :) ) and that there are many many types in kit form nowadays that just weren't available years ago. (although I do regret the fact that the hobby isn't as widespread as it was what with Kids favoring the virtual over the real world hobbies) 

My ire (if that's what it is ) is more aimed at Airfix and the like as all they seem to do is put pressure on modelers to use scads of aftermarket products and sets to be a real modeler. I'd love to see some simple conversions and basic scratchbuilding/detailing in the magazine.

I remember the days of Airfix and Scale models which had articles covering all skill levels, from basic tips on gluing and painting, through conversions, vac forms  and scratch builds (granted in those days you had to go there if you wanted anything even slightly out of the ordinary)

TL:DR so long as you are happy with your modelling I'll never argue with you as we're in it for the entertainment value most of all. #

Oh and I like soapboxes so long as  no one gets hurt :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47835796482_cf4de81363_z.jpg

40921398303_9db924596e_z.jpg

Finished sanding (for now) and skinned the underside of the wings.  Much happier with the resultant profile.  I'll use milliput extra fine to finish off the wing roots next.

40921398093_bb72b5872b_z.jpg 47098409334_d6028ba861_z.jpg

Working on the propellor, profile is now good but still baseball bat like in thickness. 

• Like 3

Taking shape nicely now - although the propellor looks almost too small for the machine. Thinning it down should be relatively straightforward now you have the outline shape. Somehow I like carving propellors - a complex shape which is tricky to master but very satisfying when we do.

P

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the build so far.  Yes the  propeller looks silly for the size of the machine, but it is to plan. Funnily enough I find carving propellers quite therapeutic.

47941405352_11e6ac0904_z.jpg

I wasn't entirely happy with the underside and needed to make bays for ht eundercarriage, so I molded another piece and trimmed it and fitted it to the build. Once it's faired in it should look much better. I also started on the undercarriage, here I'm dry fitting the main doors which I cut from 1mm brass sheet, I'm going to use brass for the undercarriage as well as it's comparatively flimsy looking to the point that I', not sure if plastic would hold the weight of the model.

47941446991_ddc5b520e0_z.jpg

Working on the ducting for the engine. 

47941405807_81175cf779_z.jpg

Lots more milliput, this time extra fine to blend in the new underside and the wings, as well as the wheel wells. The tape is duck tape over masking tape to (hopefully) give a straight and slightly raised line between the centre section and the wings. It's quite a thin layer so shouldn't need that much sanding.

• Like 2

47971874387_ed0cd78a2b_z.jpg

First attempt at the lampshade, I mean spinner. Not terrible but not there yet,  the method is sound but I think I may go again with a molding and .25mm wires instead of the .5mm ones.

• Like 1

47998660013_06d13428c6_z.jpg

Plunge molded a new spinner (lampshade) much better.

47998660168_5b3cdff0b9_z.jpg

More Milliput. The last batvh didn't set proberly so had to be scraped off. Why you ask is the new milliput sky blue. This is because of a tip I picked up on the interweb. For regular Milliput the two parts are a different colour, however with milliput extra fine both parts are white so you can't tell when it's properly mixed, by adding a few drops of  acrylic paint you can. (in this case a dark blue giving the sky blue colour when mixed)

47998657112_377a1b7e5f_z.jpg

And finally a coat of grey to see where I stand with the filling and sanding. The wing roots need a little more the ducts need a bit more shaping, but very nearly there. Interior next. 

• Like 2

48035111558_ae46aa1a98_z.jpg

A fetching (if rough) coat of red, more to see where I am vis a vis sanding and filling than a serious attempt at paintwork. Still, l'm getting there.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

That finish looks really good - all of the seams and other problems have disappeared! How much of the interior will be visible through the cockpit hole? Not too much I should guess. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

P

48305112857_d4f68d1ccb_z.jpg

Made a seat and seatbelts (I'm asuming a lap type one would have been fitted) Note: stil not finish painted and style/design is completely conjectural.

Next an experiment.

48305098356_4369ed96d0_z.jpg

48305098616_fdfbcf884c_z.jpg

So there you have it, once the upper decking is zipped up most of the interior detail will probably be invisible, unless you squint with an inspection lamp in one hand and the racer in the other, ho hum.

• Like 2

"So there you have it, once the upper decking is zipped up most of the interior detail will probably be invisible, unless you squint with an inspection lamp in one hand and the racer in the other, ho hum."

Just as I suggested!

P

48313380647_f87353fdc5_z.jpg

Wheels; started life as butons. They are to scale but made me realize my wheel wells are oversized (and one is off p[osition by about 5mm) so need to correct that.  Also as is the case with everything to do with this build they look comically small against the airframe.

• Like 1