Bristol Type 72 Racer Scrachbuild 1/32

48463645031_88d4d215f5_z.jpg

As is always the case in these kind of scratch builds, we come to the 'and then disaster struck' bit  Having made some (to scale ) wheels I realized that owing to A ) a lack of view of the undersurface of the plane, B )  same for the scale plans, C ) general incompetence, my wheel wells were over-sized and (more importantly) misaligned and not symmetric. Sooo I got busy with my Dremel (knockoff) and bored out the wing, fitted new wheel wells and for good measure filled in all the undercarriage wells and started again.  Wheels and brass gear doors are in place and at this point I'm pretty much going to copy what's going on in Moa's 1/72 build for this area. (if you look closely you can see the pencil marks.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

Sometimes you just have to. My brass doors make more sense and I'm happier that the build is on track than I was. Still need to get the grinder out for the missing ducts but I like that kind of thing.....

Edited by Marklo

Thanks for being honest and owning up to the error - so many modellers who do not scratch build seem to think that everything goes right first time for scratch builders.... I wish!!!

The corrections will not show when you have finished - and you will have a unique model too - kudos to you sir!

P

48493542436_41593c80b9_z.jpg

Prepped and ready for surgery.

so many modellers who do not scratch build seem to think that everything goes right first time for scratch builders

I wish (but really probably don't) , my JI is on it's second complete fuselage build, it took me three attempts to get the fuselage right on the Pup, the Horsa nose took around 5 different molding approaches and I ended up building the entire nose and canopy twice before deciding which one to use, but I might add, that  for me is what keeps the interest levels up. If I wanted easy I could just buy finished models :) or get a really good 3D printer and just paint the results. 

• Like 3

48528634726_228ef2e3f4_z.jpg

48528791492_910a969e57_z.jpg

I think I've finally got my head around the undercarriage, but I need to do a (rough ) CAD model to do it. Approximately to scale, imagine if you will that the  T shaped 

thing in the middle is the airframe.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

48857733066_64f0ef6404_z.jpg

48857706076_3449792c96_z.jpg

Nearly there with the filling/sanding. Started using my airbrush at the weekend and had a cup full of primer after the Typhoon, so if it didn't move it got primed, the cat is now sporting a wonderfully even grey finish (just kidding, of course I sprayed him black)

I also decided to support the artisan aftermarket and ordered a set of Decals, I could make them myself, but after lots of mature recollection, I reckoned life is too short and again  if we don't patronize the small businesses of our hobby then they'll die out etc..

• Like 3

48896474702_5e18eb8c77_o.jpg

A basic pit, panel, seat, seatbelts, stick and pedals. Once the headrest and windscreen go on you won't be able to make out a lot.

48895282383_4d0bd365ec_o.jpg

Painted with the  rattle can (no wierd chemical reactions this time, which is a surprise given how many different coats of paint are already on it) then zipped up.

48896007397_99b0b49b04_o.jpg[

Rubbed down, then (hopefully) into the last round of filler. We are close. Now if those decals arrive soon I can probably finish it before the end of the month.

• Like 2

48901446638_fae3d62d54_o.jpg

Sanded and painted again. Headrest  fabricated.

48902180932_c1b77118f5_o.jpg

Most of the rest of the bits.  Wheels need more paint. Prop should be darker looks more like an oiled/varnished teak in the photos, Headrest needs a rubdown and paint. 

Provided my decals arrive, well on track for the end of the month.

• Like 2

48931758002_c5c75f4d98_z.jpg

Standing on it's own two legs. 

48931479076_439e78dbb2_z.jpg

After many cycles of fill sand, retouch, final paintwork. Not perfect, but pretty pleased with the overall result.

Needs a windscreen, decals and the prop attached and it's more or less done. 

On the subject of rigging. The racer as first flown had no bracing wires and the spinner was bare metal. It suffered wing flutter on it's first flight and had bracing wires added and the spinner painted for the second flight, on which the spinner disintegrated, I don't think it was flown again. My model is pre first flight, no wires and bare spinner.

• Like 5

48947649653_8c26f18ae0_z.jpg

48947650058_76bf0f4a8e_z.jpg

Finished, need to take some better photos for the RFI, might need a coat of varnish over the decals, any recommendations for an airbrush able water based clear satin?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, Marklo said:

Finished, need to take some better photos for the RFI, might need a coat of varnish over the decals, any recommendations for an airbrush able water based clear satin?

The best I have found is Mr Hobby Aqueous with a touch of levelling thinner added. Its alcohol based but gives really good results.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

That looks GREAT! 👍 👍👍

Utterly mad of course but that’s due to the design of the original not the model. The model looks fantastic! I’m off to RFI now to see if I can find it. 

Outstanding result Marklo!

Tis a bit bizarre, that's what I love about it, but it represents what was considered to be the state of the aerodynamics art at the time (1921 remember)

48947474198_b6248ecc8b_z.jpg

This is it side by side with my 1913 Depredussin in the  same scale, there's only 8 years between the two. Next in the series is a Gee Bee (a kit this time) then maybe a Gloster racer or the other Bristol racer.

Hmm can see decal film, definitely needs a coat of varnish.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1