Bristol Type 72 Racer Scrachbuild 1/32

I decided the Depredussin as my only 1/32 model is looking awfully lonely and needs a companion, another racer, again one that was largely ahead of it's time (but had many aerodynamic issues so never raced) the Bristol Type 72 racer . Should be pretty straightforward  (construction is very similar to later WWI types but there's no rigging or visible cylinder heads), all except the undercarriage and the ducting around the nose, which will require a bit of figuring. Strange to think that only 9 years separates it from the Depredussin.

46853327244_3d30408c8d_z.jpg

40624927223_c467780a9a_z.jpg

33807326098_3fe0d578bd_z.jpg

Keel and formers for the Fuselage.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Should be pretty straightforward  (construction is very similar to later WWI types but there's no rigging or visible cylinder heads),

46853327244_3d30408c8d_z.jpg

There's definitely rigging, which is clearly visible in the photo, Gee Bee-style wing bracing.  There was no way they could build thin cantilever wings without bracing back then.

• Like 4

There's definitely rigging,

Now that you mention it, but htere's not much and it looks easy. Plus the wings are very similar to late war types which are way easier to scratch build than later ones.

My you have hardly started tis and it seems as though it is half finished! I just wish that I could build something that quickly....

Can I suggest that bent brass rod could be a solution for the undercarriage legs? As for the lampshade and ducting around the nose, that will require some more thought. I wish you well with that but I am sure you will find a solution. Great modelling, will follow with interest.

P

• Thanks 1

My you have hardly started tis and it seems as though it is half finished!

I do find that when I'm enjoying my modelling I go fast. But trust me there is a lot to go, but I am happy with my progress.

I was thinking I might have to resort to brass. I have a nice set of Albion alloy telescoping rods/tube that will probably be drafted in. I'm thinking hte ducting and the undercarriage doors will be the most challenging, I may mold two fuselages and cut the doors from one.

• Like 1

Funny weekend, didn't feel too well (in fact neither were SWMBO or the Cat for that matter, now that I think of it the dog wan't great either)  and not much like modelling but I did (for some reason) feel like progressing the Bristol

47677063672_b6f7ef601e_z.jpg
With the wings and control surfaces just about finished I started on the fuselage balsa infill, roughly cut to size and shape. I was thinking of using the Basswood as it carves way better, but I didn't want to use up my entire stock on one project and besides I have lots of Balsa.

33853062418_a65fef8ba9_z.jpg
Sanded, just needs a bit of polyfiller to allow for the semi random nature of the cut infill pieces 

Once it's cut in three (nose and two sides) I'll figure out how I'm going to tackle the Fuselage.

On the Bench:-

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

46950121934_d78ebfdc8e_z.jpg

Polyfiller on the fuselage, looking for all the world like a big white Aubergine (that's egg plant for any Americans watching, that's if anyone is watching)

Sanding next then figure out how to mold it. Definitely the spinner/forward cowl as a unit then I suppose I'll see how big the remainder is and if it fits my vacuum box(s) then I'll just mold it in two halves, if it's too big I may separate out the tailbone and either mold that as a single piece or split it as well.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

I am watching! (Could not respond yesterday as there were technical problems). That one will be a challege to mould because of its size. If you do mould the tail cone separately you will need to concela the joint which will be fun! Still you are making very good and rapid progress so far.

P

Now I feel vaugely paranoid :) no wait I always feel that way any way, that's just the Universe (with apologies to Slartibardfast)

Yes the molding. I'll most likely make it into multiple pieces and then as usual cover up the evidence with buckets of filler (milliput and Squadron green stuff are my current favorites)  I'm thinking the undercarriage doors are going to be the most challenging. 

All progress will probably stop when the blank is sanded and split as I usually have to wait till SWMBO is out for a decent amount of time to go messing about with the hoover and the grill in the kitchen :) There was a gap of at least a month between the snark blank being finished and the actual molding taking place. Also the Fury, Flycatcher, Bulldog and Gamecock have to be finished by June for our RAF group build so they may take precedence for a while.

• Like 3

thought you'd already that reached that looking at your 'filler lava bomb'

Ah but that's just the mold form

39930054532_a693dbfcac_z.jpg

This is what I was thinking of, before it became

40474693180_6a5d7b1f51_z.jpg

Still mostly green though

• Like 2

40783749553_fe2cb2f659_z.jpg

33873194898_0a1f9db3bd_z.jpg

Onwards and well we'll see :) Blank sanded down and some details marked on it. Then split into  (what will be) it's component parts. The spinner vent ring and tail are all either cone frustrums of a cone so I may just fabricate them instead of molding. I'm not sure on the fuselage, it's still a bit big for my vacuum box but it's a fairly simple shape so will probably work with just plunge molding.  Although I was contemplating fabricating it as well.

• Like 4

I would think that plunge moulding would be quite satisfactory with the fuselage.

Probably but I didn't want to use up that much sheet balsa. In actual fact, since the fuselage quite readily breaks down into a series of cone frustums with only the odd curved section, this is where I've gone.

32818958407_03b2520325_z.jpg

I've started assembling them together and it's working pretty well. Probably more work than a mold but I was in the mood to try a different approach and see how it worked out.

• Like 5

47749847162_305036919d_z.jpg

The current collection of bits. Crash molded an upper deck, fabricated a fuselage, with much filling and sanding (milliput and then squadron white so it looks like I made it that way)

32858607827_5a2c9c011d_z.jpg

Scribed and installed the tail surfaces (although it could have been the other way round) and wonder of wonders they're straight and square.

40835799873_4bafb7cd47_z.jpg

Fitted the wings, only to realise that I'd set them about 20mm too far aft, Still no harm done will adjust the cutouts and reattach them, the wing roots are going to have to be faired in with a lot of milliput which will cover up the resultant oversized slot. 

Enjoying this one, but I must admit, just like the Floh (which I really must finish) it makes me smile when I look at how ridiculous it looks.

• Like 4

Amazing stuff, beyond my skills.

You'd be surprised, if you can tackle a moderately difficult kit then you can probably scratchbuid, I find it's mostly down to having a good set of plans, the right tools, the patience to use them properly and a good plan of attack. Being able to deconstruct  the subject into simple shapes or components helps too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That must have used a lot of filler! But to very good effect. The shapes of some of these aircraft ws faintly ridiculous - which probably accounts in part for their handling characteristics - or lack of them! This is coming on remrkably quickly.

Marklo is right  the more so if super-detailing is added to te kit.

P

• Thanks 1