1/72 Trumpeter Shenyang J-8II Finback B

Picked up this kit from a swap & sell event for $10. Figured for the price there was very little to lose and she turned out pretty nicely, I think.

A rather plain overall white scheme, which lent itself well to a bit of weathering to liven things up. Again an OOB build, with no aftermarket thrown in.

rRWTrPU.jpg

LtGAFnK.jpg

70fBw2Q.jpg

qmTEW0u.jpg

aoyl14J.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Min
Spelling correction
  • Like 37

5 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That's a nice model of an attractive plane. How was the kit? Good fit? Details look nice in the pictures.

The kit itself was so-so... fit was a bit off in some parts, requiring putty and sanding. The intakes and splitter plates were particularly problematic and almost stalled the build. The nosecone fit wasn't the best either.

But, as noted in F-32's comment above, this is a type not often seen so having it finished to a degree fit for addition to the collection makes me happy :penguin:

Min.

• Like 1

Those of us who have seen Min's models in the plastic know the rest of you are in for a rare treat.

Good to see you posting to Britmodeller Min. This Finback is a really nice job.

Cheers,

Matt

9 hours ago, bombernut said:

Those of us who have seen Min's models in the plastic know the rest of you are in for a rare treat.

Good to see you posting to Britmodeller Min. This Finback is a really nice job.

Cheers Matt, thank you for the kind words!

I'll put more of my past builds on here in due course, including the Draken, MiG-21, Flogger, and F-104.

Min.

Nice work, you don't often see chinese subjects on here, and you've done a great job on this one.

I always thought the Finback looked like a bit of a bodge job, part Mig 21, Mig 19 and Sukhoi 15.

Rich

4 hours ago, Rich G said:

I always thought the Finback looked like a bit of a bodge job, part Mig 21, Mig 19 and Sukhoi 15.

I agree. There's definitely a frankenstein sort of look to it, and it's quite a large beast compared to the MiGs.

I have some other PLAAF jets in the stash, must get around to building them one day soon 😉

• Like 1

A top job there!

I empathise with the "nothing to lose" approach on a cheaply-acquired kit.

For reasons unknown, some of my better builds have been on kits I picked up this way.

Perhaps it's the more relaxed vibe of working on something that didn't cost a fortune.

Anyway, your build is excellent.

:goodjob: