1945 Freeman Field open house and airshow

72modeler

I had posted this in a topic discussion on the Do-335, but thought more of you might see it here and enjoy watching it. Some pretty rare aircraft, many that were sadly not preserved. Oh, for a video and digital camera back then! IIRC, Col Watson of Operation Lusty's "Watson's Whizzers" flew the Ju-290 from Europe back to the U.S.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irk7ouOLzYk

• Like 5

Great shots of a lot of classic aircraft. The B-32 Dominator at 4:57 & 7:45 are my favorites. That Ju-88 & Me-163 still exist at the NMUSAF in Ohio. The Me-262 two seater and Me-410 still exist at the NASM annex in Maryland. Thanks for posting the video. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if this airshow was before or after the mutiny?  If you have never heard of it before, go to Wikipedia and I am sure there is an article on the Freeman Field Mutiny.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if this airshow was before or after the mutiny?  If you have never heard of it before, go to Wikipedia and I am sure there is an article on the Freeman Field Mutiny.

Later,

Dave

After. The incident you referred to took place in April and the airshow featured in the video took place in September. The "mutiny" was an interesting and disgraceful  event, and I did not realize its significance until I looked it up. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Dave. I have attached a link to the field's history that might be of interest to other BM'ers. The ramp area and runways were very extensive!

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Army_Airfield

Edited by 72modeler
added text and link
  • Like 1

Very interesting is the whole story of Freeman Field - I have not herard about it before. Especially all happens within its short time of existance.

I cannot recognize what helicopter or autogiro is behind Flettner Kolibri at about 6:00? Any suggestion?

Vey spectacular is pick-up into air of Waco glider  by flying Dakota! 

Thanks for sharing!

Regards

J-W

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I cannot recognize what helicopter or autogiro is behind Flettner Kolibri at about 6:00?

JWM,

I'm thinking it might be a Focke-Achelis Fa-223, as they built several and they were used operationally for rescue during the war. Wish the FE number was readable on the fin. From what I was able to find out about them, three were captured at the end of the war; one was burned by its pilot; another went to the British and was the first rotary winged aircraft to cross the channel, and later crashed and burned, and one went to the USAAF and was written off in 1946, so it might be the one in the video.  I don't think it is IJA/IJN, as the autogyro they used at the end of the war looked like a Cierva C-30 with an air cooled inline engine. IIRC, it was the Ka-1. I was trying to figure out what it was, along with the two much smaller helos with the 3-bladed rotors visible briefly in the video. Maybe one of our resident chopper authorities has an answer?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1