F-106 Delta Dart “What If”

Here’s a “What If” build.

I like to take American designed aircraft and imagine What If they had entered service with the Canadian Military.  These are from all ages but usually end up being Cold War aircraft that Canada had seen and possibly even experimented with.  There were many times us Canadians dropped a new engine in an existing American aircraft for future use.  Ie F-86 Sabre, and F-104 Starfighter.  

I also “imagine” our air service had taken a more active role in the Cold War and miss the opportunity on building an Avro Arrow.  

Thus this is where I garnered an idea from.

Take an aircraft designed for delivering nuclear weapons (The genie missile) and was involved with the RCAF, even operating out of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  This F-106 Delta Dart pre-six pack.  That is before it was designed for using AIM missiles.

40646010793_6e3bec2bec_b.jpg

• Like 4

I cannot decide as of yet on the paint scheme however I want to imagine this as a partial replacement of our Avro Arrow following its demise.  Wether it will be the Dayglo and white scheme, or the straight white and black and maybe possibly if I could get the correct decals to fit like on the voodoos or starfighters.

I’ve heard ghastly tails of very poor fitting from this kit and I plan on doing it OOB except for a Master Model Pitot tube and of course Canadian decals.  

As always any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

So here we go.  Starting on the cockpit which surprisingly has a lot of detail.

46725694715_0dffe416a1_b.jpg

40707012983_d59c9af16b_b.jpg

• Like 4

Closed up the cockpit and didn’t need to much filler except for the fuel intake, that needed some very precise sanding before glueing it in and then some fine tuning afterwards to get it close.  

47622337352_604941fdc4_b.jpg

Here is the finished cockpit with details picked out.  I decided the sight which flips down for the genie missile system was too big and ungainly.  I removed it fairly easily and intend on making it work with the canopy instead.

47622337332_2b16cfa41c_b.jpg

47675237741_1e4091d7c5_b.jpg

Im fairly certain the canopy will be looked at next to ensure it’s all kosher and that my plans succeed.  After that some more fine detail painting with the undercarriage  I imagine.

• Like 6

I'm near the finish with a build of this kit at the moment.  I built it many years ago too.  The parts are "stamped" 1983 & to be frank, apart from the raised panel lines it is as good a fit & provides as much (if not more) detail as certain contemporary brands.  A bit like the Airfix Bucc, the large, flexible fuselage top/bottom halves are a bit tricky & it's important to get as clean a join as possible to avoid filling/sanding that the raised panel lines won't survive!  I fixed little at a time & ended up with not too bad a result - the part aft of the wings seems to be the most problematic in this regard., exacerbated by being hard reach with a sander with the wings in place.  I'll be watching!

• Like 1

40735693793_bdf8a07846_b.jpg

32758897777_f25ae40644_b.jpg

Did some prelim stuff and decided to go with the white Avro arrow scheme.  The scheme will be a little bit of both from both aircraft but the distinctive arrow markings will remain, albeit just a little flashy.  I used BMF to mask the cockpit, useful but needs to be cleaned up with alcohol after removing.

im most likely going to ditch the 4 missiles as they don’t look amazing.  Debating on what I could replace them with.  The genie will look lonely after all.

i decided to stick with a metal bomb bay and gear bays to be different.  The speed brake will be a black and white scheme instead of green.  

Didn't realize how big this model was lol.

• Like 2

47710874771_a12924b704_b.jpg

Put in some weight and hope it will be enough, if not I can always stick more in the nose one.

46794737865_64cfa1b8bc_b.jpg

Working on closing up the two big fuselage parts.  Using superglue as I’m worried it may pop loose in some places and Tamiya thin as a follow up.  Should work.  Very tight fit with the landing gear and cockpit parts and there will be some filling and sanding along the sides.  Thankfully not much as I’ve got the figment it as good as I could.  The rear will wait for tomorrow and at that point I will install the engine and I think the fuselage on that portion will be much easier to match up.

Also finished the speed brake with my chosen scheme and did a ton of follow up picking out hoses and details in all the bays.

• Like 3

So figured I made a mistake....

I forgot to install the upper delta wing prior to installing the upper fuselage!

Thought life was over.  Then it came apart surprisingly easy.  Phew!

Did some work on the bomb bay.  Picking out some hoses and rods and highlighting.  Also look at that one join!

47677894662_982bd79c4f_b.jpg

I wanted to add a touch more colour to help make it pop but not sure what more I could add without being inaccurate.

Heres a closer look.

47677894652_770c20c506_b.jpg

and dreading the joining of all these big pieces.  Somewhat fiddly.  Lots of muscle and superglue to keep everything in place.

47677894682_77338cc8d8_b.jpg

46814445565_ff97260e6d_b.jpg

Heres the little bits ready for some white.

46814445525_5950569df8_b.jpg

Edited by Beazer
  • Like 4

On 4/23/2019 at 3:21 AM, Beazer said:

I cannot decide as of yet on the paint scheme

On 4/23/2019 at 3:21 AM, Beazer said:

As always any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

My suggestion would be to go all green like the F-104’s. I think that would look good. 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:23 AM, Beazer said:

Debating on what I could replace them with.

Sparrows/Sky-flash ? Or the M-61 gun like the real aircraft carried there ? 

Great start Beazer, some of these old kits have stood the test of time and build up really well. As regards your colour scheme, didn't some of your F-104's have a NMF

with white/orange panels??:angel: Just putting it out there. Look forward to watching this one come together...............Carry on!

If I did a Natural Metal Finish that would cost a fortune as I do mine with Bare Metal Foil.  

I decided on the Avro scheme as it will still stand out.

Green would be nice but I’m doing that Silver Star in the GB in that.

i do have an F-104 waiting to be dressed up so you never know.

47742484432_014064217b_b.jpg

47742484452_61fdfa2d4c_b.jpg

33917758568_d4b47e4350_b.jpg

Did some work finally after returning for my significant others marathon race.

Sanding, more filling, and more sanding and laid down the primer.

Really having second thoughts over the white scheme.  Contemplating something different.  Maybe a grey scheme with tiger stripes done in a green.  

Really would like to finish this month as the workbench is going to get very busy with the upcoming group builds.  Plus I’ve got a Wildcat,  and a ju-87 I need to complete.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
47090093524_d5192cabfd_b.jpg

Some more progress after a hiatus.

Finished my Stuka however.

Next will be the landing gear and then the pinstripe pattern on the wings.

Almost there.  Need to order some AIM 4’s or see if I can source some velvet gloves.

• Like 3

40922144343_2ac1b809f5_b.jpg

47836551252_8e8cc556c0_b.jpg

47836551262_b65129f951_b.jpg

Shes almost done boys.

finished up on the landing gear, and all the other tidbits that were waiting.

Decided to forego the stripes as I just want to see this finished.

Just have to put decals on and then I think I’ll weather it with pastels.  Figure the white will be more forgiving than using inks.

May decide to add a little pop of colour to the tail or fins but we will see.

• Like 3

47896640531_e178063b16_b.jpg

40930183133_0df1bd823c_b.jpg

Decals on except for a few and have begun starting to weather a little bit.  Wanna go for that all weather look and touch up the exhaust area.   Please ignore that giant seam,  I gave up.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

47956772571_1fefc83f4a_b.jpg

47956786998_cfd21e405a_b.jpg

I’d like to think I did an ok job.  I was experimenting quite a bit including weathering white.

Figured on doing a all weather encounter which may include some mud and snow getting all over the aircraft.

I think the Avro throwback scheme Planned out quite well.  Definitely made me do a lot more worrying than I had expected for this build.  

I feel if Ihad devoted more time to this build there would have been a lot more fine tuning but I had so much on the go.  Either way I like how it will look sitting next to my RCAF F-86D Sabre Dog and F-86F Sabre.

Let me know what you guys think and what I could have improved on.  

• Like 12

I like the way the paint scheme turned out. Makes me think of Arrow ,jr at first glance. Excellent job.I know that about the pitot tubes. Even when I left them off til last I'd still manage to snap them off several times between the bench and the shelf.

• Like 1