Anything Sukhoi group build. 17 and counting

Ham Hands

Hello.

Petition for an Anything Sukhoi group build.

All Sukhoi subjects and scales accepted. 

Please sign this petition. 

Thanks for looking.

👍

1) Ham hands

2) corsairfoxfouruncle

3) Valkyrie

4) Beazer

5) trickyrich

6) rafalbert

7) Nocoolname

8. Marlin

9) Borisz

10) Jabba

11) Foxbat

12) helios16v

13) exdraken

14) Arniec

15) TEMPESTMK5

16) Foxbat

17) DaveJL

18)

19)

20)

• Like 2

Did a quick look back thru the years. There was an all things flanker build in 2017. But nothing else going back to 2014. If you are planning on starting a group build. You should get a good # of signups. I've seen quite a few people talk about building & wanting to build them for a while now.

Dennis

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Thank you, Dennis.

I have no idea how to get others involved.

👍👍

Just do what you did for this thread. Start a new thread  or edit and change the title on this one. Then explain what your goal is for the build. If its a Single type as in Flankers only, or will it be an everything Sukhoi build. Then its just a matter of waiting for people to sign up. Cheerleading to attempt to get interest in your build is also expected. When you get 25 people to signup Enzo will assign you dates for a single type build. If its an all Sukhoi you will need 30 signups and then it goes up for a vote in November. Provided we have more builds than we can get in one year. If we have less then Enzo will work with you to get the dates that work best.

Ive done it 5 times and its not hard. Im running the Patton single type group build. I have a sci-fi, Movie/tv, what if build in September I'm co-hosting. Then i have the Corsair Single, and panther tank single type next year. I also have the all British fighting vehicle build coming up for a vote in November. 

Dennis

EDIT: I think you got yourself a build Ham hands. ⬇️ Judging by the amount of people already chiming in. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OH YEAH BABY!!!!!  :yahoo:  count me in with bells on!!

I still have another Su-17 to build, plus the Frogfoot.

@Ham Hands you're on the right track just starting this thread, just start a list in your first thread to keep track on the number, we need 30 to got through to the vote. Keep it as the Sukhoi GB, you should get more interest, this could be a big GB.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle you're going to be a very busy wee chappy......that said I may have 3 next year as well! Plastyk (ex Smer) do a 1/72nd Su-22 with Polish makings. Plus there are some really nice markings for Polish aircraft by ModelMaker for the 2 seater Su-22UM, there are a few of them available as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@trickyrich got me sucked in to the old Sukhois...so I've got a few kicking about the stash now.  I may dredge one of the out for the upcoming '80s Asia GB...but there are plenty more to go around.  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2019 at 11:52 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you decide to do this id be interested in an Su-22 or Su-25. But it would have to be 1/72. Anyone know of a fitter preferably an Su-22 that the Polish air force might use in 1/72nd ? I found the Zvezda Su-25 Frogfoot in 1/72nd already. 

I'd love to be wrong on this, but I think the problem with most/all Su-22 kits out there is that they're not -22s. They used a different engine to the base Su-17 which meant a different shape to the rear fuselage but all the kits out there just give a standard Su-17 fuselage. People who know about these things will be able to add a list of other issues to any kit you decide to use, but that applies to any kit of any subject :) 

Accuracy aside, from experience the Italeri ones are nice builds of the Su-22M4/Su-22UM3K two seater, either of which would suit your needs. The Smer versions need the cockpit tub carving a bit to fit round a rib inside the fuselage (think it is even mentioned in the instructions) but seemed OK apart from that. I also had the Pantera and Mister Craft ones but they never came out of the box before being sold on. The Mister Craft one has the proper early fin with no inlet at the base if the aircraft you want to model needs that.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im hoping to find one of the two-seaters, most likely Italeri i think. Its sad to know that it wont have the proper fuselage. However if it looks like the plane from a distance. Or the observer is uninformed then i am fine with that. If somebody produces the proper fuselage for the type in kit form then i would most likely do a future build to replace the incorrect type. Thanks for all the info at least i know they did/do exist and know what to look for. 

Dennis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im hoping to find one of the two-seaters, most likely Italeri i think. Its sad to know that it wont have the proper fuselage. However if it looks like the plane from a distance. Or the observer is uninformed then i am fine with that. If somebody produces the proper fuselage for the type in kit form then i would most likely do a future build to replace the incorrect type. Thanks for all the info at least i know they did/do exist and know what to look for. 

Dennis

Unless you are a type-expert, I think you'd be hard pressed to notice.  Yes you will see the difference when the 2 are sitting side by side and someone in the know points it out...but it will still look like a Fitter.  I have a pair of the Smer Su-17/22 M3s (single seaters) in the stash after lengthy discussions w/ @trickyrich when I was looking at the Hobby Boss releases (in 1/48th).  I decided that the extra work (adding some resin details like cockpit) was worth the cost savings and side benefit of a closer shape.  Though to be fair I'm not generally one to worry too much about minor shape differences, but I do have to draw the line when something just looks off (like the new ARV U-2).

• Like 2

.....did someone mention Su-17's & 22's???? :D

very basically, the Su-17M3, Su-17M4, & Su-22M4 are all the same aircraft fuselage wise. There are minor differences, air scoop on fin, etc etc, but they all shared the same engine, the Lyulka AL-21 (also used in Su-24 and MiG-23B ground attack versions) .

The Su-22M3 is a bit different, (the Su-22 series was the export version of the Su-17 and had downgraded features), it was fitted with a different engine, the Trumansky R29 (also used in MiG-23/27's). The R-29 was shorter but quite a bit larger in diameter, which needed big changes to the rear end of the Su-22 to fit. The fuselage overall length is a bit shorter and the fuselage is fatter around where the airbrakes are, and the whole profile looks a wee bit different

This difference seems to be where all the manufactures fall down and get it all wrong trying to produce a Su-22M3. To keep costs down they just use a common fuselage so you loose the distinct look this aircraft had. Pretty well all of them give you the option to build either, but the 22M3 is just a 22M4 without the fine scoop (no such thing).

It's a real shame as of the schemes for South American aircraft are awesome. I did read sometime back that someone was producing a conversion kit for her, don't know whatever happened to that.

In a fit of craziness I have thought of doing the conversion myself (and do a proper resin cast), I just need to find the time!!!! Tooo many projects, too many GB's and way tooo little time! I may get to it, just need to find a cheap donor model.

The best models of the Su-17/22 in 1/48th are still the ones based on the old KP model (Eduard, Smer, Kopro, Karaya). The details aren't as fine as on the new Kitty Hawk or Hobby Boss models but at least they a accurate, less than can be said with the HK & HB models!!

• Like 2