Rolls Royce armoured car, Roden

Orso

1914RR_01.JPG

I bought the Roden 1/72 scale kit when I found it at a very nice price. For a long time I wanted a 1914 version of it but as the Roden kit is a 1920 version I have to convert it. As it isn't much use cutting the plastic if I can't get some spoked wheels for it I decided to start with the wheels. I am not aware of any wheels suitable, so I have to improvise. I started by adding the diameter of a plastic tube with thin plastic strips and cut pieces for tires from it.

1914RR_02.JPG

The shape was sanded, and putty will be brushed on to get a smooth finish.

1914RR_03.JPG

I wasn't happy with the result, so I looked at the spare part boxes even though I had little hope of finding any WW1 aircraft wheels that I could use.

Needing eight wheels doesn't make it easier but I found three sets from the Junkers F13 that I can use, and I have another kit that will be built with floats, so I’ll get the missing wheels there.

1914RR_04.JPG

Eduard etched spokes added. I think it will work. But what about the turret in the Roden kit? It is hard to tell in this scale, but I think it is the higher 1920's model. I don't trust the drawings I have, they show the same turret on both the 1914 and 1920's cars.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...