Me 410 guns query

PeterB

Hi,

I am detailing an old Me 410 kit and need info on the standard armament fit mounted in the nose. There are 2 MG17 machine guns and 2 MG151 20mm cannon mounted in a horizontal line, with 2 near the centre flush with the fuselage, and one on each side in a trough with the barrel protruding. William Green in his War Planes of the Third Reich has a cut away (OK Me 210 but likely to be the same I would have thought) which states that the outer guns are the MG151 cannon, but pics of the RAF Museum A1/U2 in the Mushroom book clearly label the outer trough mounted gun as the MG17, and I must say that is what it looks like complete with a conical flash hider.

As these two sources clearly disagree, does anybody out there know which is correct?

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Jerry,

I will have a go but my German is none too good. Another source has sent me a manual page that confirms Green's layout of MG151 on outside but then there is this:

museum

Copied form the Mushroom Models book on the 410 with their kind permission. Bit of a head scratcher!

Thanks for your help.

Pete

OK, looking at some more pics it is clear the cannon feeds are on the outside and the mg are in the centre firing through rather long blast tubes so I am 95% satisfied Green was right. Unless somebody has swapped the barrels round on the museum plane then Mushroom are wrong and  the guns shown are indeed MG151 with flash eliminators, which are not very common.

Cheers

Pete

Yip mushroom have it wrong. Mg 17's on the inside mg 151/20's on the outside.the mg 151 barrels are not proud of the nose.  Nick

2019-04-25_07-42-08

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1