R.I.P. AKYDNBAAK

vppelt68

Original, long title: "A kit you DIDN'T build as a kid - but would've wanted to! (for 2021)"

First, I want and need to both thank and apologize @Dansk about this. He gave me this idea by first proposing the childhood revisited- GB. When I read his proposal, I knew immediately I'd also like to get to build "the one that got away"- GB, but in a way that it would never compete with the original idea; that's why I propose this for 2021. 2020, I hope, will be the year of the "kit you built as a kid GB". If not, neither will this GB ever be ran by me. Only as an extension to the first one, right :coolio:.

So the kit that got away! Maybe it was a Frog or Matchbox etc kit, that was already out of production and out of stock by the time You would have wanted to build it (remember, no internet, no ebay or kingkit etc back then...) or one of those that had a price tag above your pocket money range, or one of those you had seen and drooled in a catalogue of a manufacturer that just was not available in your neighbourhood (pls see above!) or simply it was out of your skill range back then, like a Viggen in a splinter scheme that you skipped because you were intimidated by the challenge!

Edit: And it could be that you had the kit but just didn't build it - this IS the time to eventually finish that Tomcat, @Bonhoff!!!

I'm still subjecting this GB to Dansk's approval, if you don't like the idea, I'll drop it immediately 😊.

Best regards, V-P

1) vppelt68 (host)

2) Paul J

3) Dansk

4) Corsairfoxfouruncle

5) Valkyrie

6) German Armour

7) Bonhoff

8- helios16v

9) Ozzy

10) Avereda

11) modelling minion

12) Ventora3300

13) JohnT

14) Romeo Alpha Yankee

15) reini

16) Adrian Hills

17) Arniec

18) klr

19) Rafwaffe

20) zebra

21) TonyW

22) stevej60

23) JOCKNEY

24) stevehnz

25) GREG DESTEC

26) John Masters

27) Rabbit Leader

28) Black Knight

29) Foxbat

30) Mr T

31) jackroadkill

32) fightersweep

33) ...

• Like 1

There is one that come to mind immediately and that is the Stampe. But thanks to FRROM/AZUR they have about four different boxings and I have built two of them... so far!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

First, I want and need to both thank and apologize @Dansk about this. He gave me this idea by first proposing the childhood revisited- GB. When I read his proposal, I knew immediately I'd also like to get to build "the one that got away"- GB, but in a way that it would never compete with the original idea; that's why I propose this for 2021. 2020, I hope, will be the year of the "kit you built as a kid GB". If not, neither will this GB ever be ran by me. Only as an extension to the first one, right :coolio:.

So the kit that got away! Maybe it was a Frog or Matchbox etc kit, that was already out of production and out of stock by the time You would have wanted to build it (remember, no internet, no ebay or kingkit etc back then...) or one of those that had a price tag above your pocket money range, or one of those you had seen and drooled in a catalogue of a manufacturer that just was not available in your neighbourhood (pls see above!) or simply it was out of your skill range back then, like a Viggen in a splinter scheme that you skipped because you were intimidated by the challenge!

I'm still subjecting this GB to Dansk's approval, if you don't like the idea, I'll drop it immediately 😊.

Best regards, V-P

No need to apologize v-p, it sounds like a great idea to me so go for it.

so conicidental you mention a splinter viggen. I myself built one as a kid but did it all in olive drab because of just that reason! 😄

• Thanks 1

:bounce: OOOOH OOOOOH ME ME !!! I want in with a kit. The Hasegawa A-7D i actually did buy the kit and started it. I ruined it by painting the interior of the cockpit wrong. It sat partially built on a shelf gathering dust-bunnies until i moved in 2004. I threw it out after 17 years of looking at it. I would love to build it again. I may do it as an A-7E though, because i spent 8 days on the USS Forrestal in 1990. I have a lovely set of photo’s of VA-37 A-7E’s in color to use for a build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Best regards, V-P

If it makes sense we should join them maybe? Kit you built or wanted to build as a kid. That would be ok with me

There defo room for 2 different builds but I guess I could do both in one or do my kamen seasprite in the helicopter GB which is looking for a host....

I can relate to this - I treated myself to a 1/32 Revell Tomcat for my 15th birthday as it was my dream model at the time.

Commenced construction and realised that I hadn't got the space for it once completed so it went back in the box.

I'm 52 now and the box is still staring at me from the Iancave shelf....

Could be another attempt to build it?

IanJ 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

I can relate to this - I treated myself to a 1/32 Revell Tomcat for my 15th birthday as it was my dream model at the time.

Commenced construction and realised that I hadn't got the space for it once completed so it went back in the box.

I'm 52 now and the box is still staring at me from the Iancave shelf....

Could be another attempt to build it?

IanJ 

That's awesome that you still have it!  Jelly.  😎

• Like 4

On 23/04/2019 at 00:27, Dansk said:

If it makes sense we should join them maybe? Kit you built or wanted to build as a kid. That would be ok with me

Why not, but having two separate GB:s gives us two opportunities to build those oldies :-)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

You can also add me in for this one - fantastic! I think I have a wide choice but I seem to remember starting an Airfix 1/24 ( or maybe 1/32) FW 190 and not finishing it. I think the engine beat me. I must think back to that. I can remember being a bit scandalised because the box art showed a Lancaster being shot down so felt a bit guilty about building the kit. 

• Like 1

Way back in the early 1960,s a very young me discovered great big white RAF British bombers with cutting edge tech and futuristic shapes. What’s not to like?  But no Airfix kit?  Of any of them?  No Revell either?  Frog then. But they were looking passé in 1/96 scale and even back then the boxes looked dated next to Revell and Airfix. 
Still I saved pennies and bought and built first a Victor, then the Vulcan. I never got around to the Valiant sadly. The Valiant then would be my regret and therefor choice. Not very likely as I gather all three now command huge prices as collectibles and the moulds appear to have disappeared :(

• Like 1

Two kits come to mind here for me.

First was the Airfix Saturn V, I saw it in a Sydney airport gift shop when we were seeing off my aunt back to Finland in the early 70s.

The second was the Revell Charles F Adams kit which was in a local supermarket. Mum just would not let me have it.

I now have the Saturn V and am slowly building it (almost paint and masking time) and I also have the Charles F Adams that I picked up at a second hand stall at last year's Model Expo in Melbourne.So the Revell DDG is a goer for me if this one gets up.

• Like 2

Good idea for a GB :) Two kits come to mind...

Hasegawa Fw 190A in 1/32. First kit I bought, but never built. Because my dad did! :D I guess he deemed it too complicated for me or got bit carried away but I practically didn't even got to touch it. He did got me couple AMT Mustang & Thunderbolt 1/48 to try my wings on, but I still watched the Focke Wulf come together with little bit envy, it seemed so cool kit with the engine and machine guns and so on. My dad did pretty good job of it though. Not sure if this kit is available anymore? I remember the cover image being very cool too. Close up of Fw190 battling against russians, in a nice bit dark style painting.

Monogram B-58 Hustler 1/48. Big, bad & beautiful. With the black background, image of hustler straight ahead - it was eye catching. It stood on the window of my local hobby store for ages, saw it every time I entered the store with my dad. Which was often. until I forgot about it and the owner retired and I lost interest in modelling all together for years and years. Fast forward to last year, son of the owner contacted our modelling club that he was selling some of the last models of the store (which was still quite plenty) - and the Hustler was still there! My dad actually bought it for me, which was nice. But it is now waiting in the stash for a 'special occasion' :) 

• Like 3

For me it could be three kits. An Airfix SRN4, which to be honest I never got round to building.

I still have the kit !!!

Jacque Cousteau’s Calypso, complete with submarine and helicopter. Re bought that kit recently.

Or the one I really lusted after but could never afford - The BIG Airfix Bentley.

• Like 1

I have got a few kits now in my stash that I wanted to have and build as a kid, but were to expensive at the time.

I will have a look around, but one of them definately is the 1/48 Lancaster from Tamiya. Also some of the bigger models from Matchbox come to my mind. But there must be more😁

Cheers,

• Like 2

I'm on board. I'm not sure how many candidate kits I would have, but I certainly have some. Two months ago, I very belatedly bought the 1974 vintage Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang. This is a kit that I surely ought to have bought sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s, but never did. The Airfix Douglas A-26 Invader is kit I bought only once I'd become an adult, but I've yet to build it. Ditto the Airfix North American F-86D Sabre-Dog, Northrop F-5E Tiger II, and Piper Cherokee Arrow. The Heller T-28 Trojan/Fennec, F-86 Sabre, Gloster Gladiator, Caudron C-635 Simoun and Nord 2501 Noratlas are also in the running. Now that I think of it, so is the Airfix A-7 Corsair II, which I have in a Heller box.

The Airfix Super Mystere would have been another candidate, had I not just built it.

• Like 1

Count me in. Not sure what with but we’ll cross that bridge later.

although I do remember a Revell 747 whose fuselage was badly warped so didn’t get built. Seems like that ought to be rectified.

• Like 1