R.I.P. AKYDNBAAK

vppelt68

This is a really great idea for a group build. 

Although I was building models from the late 70s, by the time I got seriously hooked on modelling in the early 80s, the hobby had hit the rocks. I remember just how thin the Airfix catalogues were back then, and new releases were few and far between. As a 12/13 year old with just a little pocket money, most of my options were the few Airfix, Revell and Matchbox kits found in toy shops and newsagents. No internet, no ability to get to shows, so the only option was what I could find locally. Went to my first airshow in 1983 at West Malling, and couldn't believe the model traders there, particularly the second hand traders. I had never seen so many kits that I wanted in one place, and brands I had never actually seen in the flesh before as well a long deleted rare kits that I so wanted. I had £5 to spend, but could have spent £5000. 

Frustrating, as at that time, I had a 1979 Airfix catalogue I had procured in a playground swap that showed me just how extensive their range had been. So many kits I wanted, but so few of them still available by the early 80s. I used to drool over that catalogue and mark all the kits I wanted, Hampden, Short Skyvan, Cherokee Arrow, SRN.1, Tiger Moth, Dh Beaver, Hs-129,  0/400, Rotodyne, Auster AOP VI, Eagle Transporter, all of the "Modern" car series....I could go on! None of these were available in my world, but I wanted to build them all. Good thing I never got my hands on an old Frog catalogue back then. I probably would have exploded! 

Then there are the kits I couldn't afford. The big box kits such as the Airfix 1/24 Superkits, or the big bombers that occasionally appeared on Christmases and birthdays or saving weeks of pocket money. That list is endless, but the one kit I probably always wanted was the Big Airfix Spitfire. Never bagged one of those, not until I started my first full time job at 16. First thing I bought was that Spitfire. The only slight disappointment was that by then, Airfix had moved onto the slightly naff photo boxes instead of what really inspired me as a kid....namely this....

28025383737_ca04a11801_c.jpg

No contest really!

So! This is a group build that could yield dozens and dozens of build options. Be fun to add the back story too. On that basis, I'm in 110%

Regards;

Steve 

• Like 4

It's only early August and number of proposed GB's to go into the bunfight is already alarming. So the question is not so much "will I support the GB" but rather will it get one of my votes and will I participate in it? Also can I afford it? With my kid modelling years ending in the 1970's many of the kits I never built are now collectors items and  reach rather eye watering prices. 

However I do have a few ideas -some  of which are not injection moulded as well as a few bits of plastic. So yes count me in and unless something else enters the bun fight this will get my vote come November.

Lastly what about that kit you never built as a kid, but did manage to afford/build as an adult - would that be allowed? Actually the GB will rely on trust anyway as who out there really knows what I built and just desired as a kid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Lastly what about that kit you never built as a kid, but did manage to afford/build as an adult - would that be allowed? Actually the GB will rely on trust anyway as who out there really knows what I built and just desired as a kid.

That's an interesting point. My big Airfix Spitfire was an example of that. So would another count? Mind you, The big Stuka would be tempting.

A fellow Essex lad? Wonder if we used some of the same shops back in the day?

Steve

On 4/26/2019 at 11:28 AM, Bonhoff said:

I can relate to this - I treated myself to a 1/32 Revell Tomcat for my 15th birthday as it was my dream model at the time.

Commenced construction and realised that I hadn't got the space for it once completed so it went back in the box.

I'm 52 now and the box is still staring at me from the Mancave shelf....

Are you me? :P

147539-14745-33-pristine.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 4:28 PM, Jinxman said:

I'd like to put my name down please - a chance to tick off a few Airfix kit that I couldn't track down at the time - Auster Antarctic anyone?

Not the easiest kit to find now either. A very attractive plane though.

Getting the floats nice and square will have you singing with joy. Or not. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Not the easiest kit to find now either. A very attractive plane though.

Getting the floats nice and square will have you singing with joy. Or not. 

Probably a good idea I didn't get my hands on one as a kid then!

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Can I have my name thrown in the hat for this one please?

Steve

Of course Steve! I don't usually add names to the list after the necessary 30 are gathered, people are then free to join the GB whether their name is on the list or not - and unfortunately also free to skip it :weep:. V-P

• vppelt68 changed the title to +++ AKYDNBAAK - A kit you didn´t build as a kid - @30+ !!!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One... last... push... C'mon all you (we) kidsforever, this is (y)our chance to build "the one that got away" back then, many moons ago! Giddyap, we are not fatally far below The Cut! Let's give Rich more  reasons for head scratching, right :cheers:! V-P

• Like 2

• vppelt68 changed the title to R.I.P. AKYDNBAAK

It was a good fight and as one must always be the first one not to make it, this time it was unfortunately the TKYDNBAAK, a spin-off proposal to the TKYBAAK in 2020.

Thank you to all you nearly 60 voters who wanted this one to go through, it was a remarkable number of votes and in any other year it might have been enough.

2021 will be another great year for Britmodeller Group Builds. I'm eagerly waiting for all the new stuff that will emerge as these old threads will be buried, some with honours like this one. Anyway I shall not even consider giving it another try, no byes just a goodbye!

V-P

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I was really hoping this one would get through.    VP, thanks for proposing it.  I was saving my old Airifx Blenheim for this one, but it will make an appearance in another GB now.

There´ll be at least the dedicated Bristol GB, then if you bought that kit back then under a tenner... and of course I recommend searching for a possible :cough: Nordic operator for both the short and longnose Blenheims :winkgrin:. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

There´ll be at least the dedicated Bristol GB, then if you bought that kit back then under a tenner... and of course I recommend searching for a possible :cough: Nordic operator for both the short and longnose Blenheims :winkgrin:. V-P

Unfortunately it cost me just over ten pounds, which was a bit of a swine, but it's looking like I'll get it into either Nordic or ANZAC.  I don't know why I had my heart set on getting it into TKYDNBAAK, but hey!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

It was a good fight and as one must always be the first one not to make it, this time it was unfortunately the TKYDNBAAK, a spin-off proposal to the TKYBAAK in 2020.

Thank you to all you nearly 60 voters who wanted this one to go through, it was a remarkable number of votes and in any other year it might have been enough.

2021 will be another great year for Britmodeller Group Builds. I'm eagerly waiting for all the new stuff that will emerge as these old threads will be buried, some with honours like this one. Anyway I shall not even consider giving it another try, no byes just a goodbye!

V-P

It's way too good an idea to let die. Almost all of us now have (or can get) kits that we couldn't get when we were young - usually because we couldn't afford them, or just couldn't find them in our shops*. That's probably why this was so popular, if not quite popular enough this time.

*Many of us probably grew up in the days before Internet shopping. Sure there was mail order in Ye Olden Days, but having enough money was still a problem. As I keep telling the owner of my local hobby shop, I just couldn't afford to but everything I wanted when I was young. I finally got the Heller Saab Safir today after a 39-year wait (well, four of them ...).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 10:32 PM, klr said:

It's way too good an idea to let die.

Is @vppelt68 planning to repropose this for 2022 under the new rules? Most of the builders in post 1 are still active.

Colin

• Thanks 1