Bentley Blower 1:12

Renek

11 minutes ago, Renek said:

I'm also in favor of creating a video. Well, if you use the 1:12 Airfix kit, it's for a very long time and with big modifications

That's the plan, it won't be just a standard kit build. I want to replicate a full size Bentley as source material (hence trip to Beaulieu) before I start to build it. Does anyone know of a 12th scale photo-etch upgrade for the Airfix Bentley?

15 minutes ago, Renek said:

I'm also in favor of creating a video. Well, if you use the 1:12 Airfix kit, it's for a very long time and with big modifications

It's fair to say that your work has inspired me to have a go. Not sure I'll be in the same league as you but so long as it's something I'm proud to display, I'll be happy :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

That's the plan, it won't be just a standard kit build. I want to replicate a full size Bentley as source material (hence trip to Beaulieu) before I start to build it. Does anyone know of a 12th scale photo-etch upgrade for the Airfix Bentley?

As far as I know about Bentley 1:12, no etched parts can be obtained

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

It's fair to say that your work has inspired me to have a go. Not sure I'll be in the same league as you but so long as it's something I'm proud to display, I'll be happy :)

Thanks. The league is not important, the big fun of the model is important

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

If I may...if you know what you are looking for in regards to photo etch...I used a company in Scotland to produce the radiator fins for my Ducati build...not sure if their open in these times...but I can vouch for their helpfulness and quality.

http://www.ppdltd.com/

Ron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, silver911 said:

If I may...if you know what you are looking for in regards to photo etch...I used a company in Scotland to produce the radiator fins for my Ducati build...not sure if their open in these times...but I can vouch for their helpfulness and quality.

Ron

Thanks Ron

Appreciate the heads up :)

I know that one of the biggest concerns people have with the model is the placement of the badge on the grill. Because the badge is actually raised I was think that maybe I could create a simple mould and cast the badge, sand down the existing one and the replace the cast version into the correct position. Sounds crazy I know but I'd like to have a go. Excited to play with this model when it's released although I guess with the current issues around the world, that release date of Summer will get pushed back. I need something else to get my eye in again....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, silver911 said:

Ron

Also thank you RON ...
Well, I'm not sure if it's the right modeling .... buy everything and just glue .... and then the probability of award in the competition is directly proportional to the amount of money invested in their purchase ...

2 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

Thanks Ron

Appreciate the heads up :)

I know that one of the biggest concerns people have with the model is the placement of the badge on the grill. Because the badge is actually raised I was think that maybe I could create a simple mould and cast the badge, sand down the existing one and the replace the cast version into the correct position. Sounds crazy I know but I'd like to have a go. Excited to play with this model when it's released although I guess with the current issues around the world, that release date of Summer will get pushed back. I need something else to get my eye in again....

I think there are more of us waiting for a re-edition of the Bentley kit. If it is possible to create new forms, then I hope that the position of the character will be adjusted. If they use the original forms, there are so many errors and shortcomings in the kit that the position of the character, although essential, does not bother me.

Edited by Renek

On 4/30/2020 at 6:54 PM, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

The Beaulieu car is a replica, however they have been very helpful supplying photos of some areas for my build. I could not find any aftermarket for this kit but I have designed a set of shock absorbers which are available on Shapeways. A few others here have used them and I have had very good feedback.

They are here.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ibdetails

If you want to see my build for references that is here and pics of the shocks are on page 8.

Hope that helps.

Ian

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The Beaulieu car is a replica, however they have been very helpful supplying photos of some areas for my build. I could not find any aftermarket for this kit but I have designed a set of shock absorbers which are available on Shapeways. A few others here have used them and I have had very good feedback.

They are here.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ibdetails

If you want to see my build for references that is here and pics of the shocks are on page 8.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Impressive work Ian, I'm not sure I can do that level of quality but will enjoy trying. Some great ideas and when the model finally arrives I can use your build and others on here as invaluable reference for ideas and inspiration. 

Finally had a reply from Airfix today. The new release is still the exact same moulds as the original 70's release. No sign of when it's being set to run on the production lines due to COVID. Cant wait to start it though...

Edited by UKmodeller-Reborn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

Impressive work Ian, I'm not sure I can do that level of quality but will enjoy trying. Some great ideas and when the model finally arrives I can use your build and others on here as invaluable reference for ideas and inspiration. 

Finally had a reply from Airfix today. The new release is still the exact same moulds as the original 70's release. No sign of when it's being set to run on the production lines due to COVID. Cant wait to start it though...

Thanks, Ian, I was inspired by your construction. The shock absorbers are great. I will also wait for the re-edition of the kit, but if the forms are original, it will be a nuisance again ...

On 07/05/2020 at 15:14, Renek said:

Thanks, Ian, I was inspired by your construction. The shock absorbers are great. I will also wait for the re-edition of the kit, but if the forms are original, it will be a nuisance again ...

Thought I'd have some fun with this to get my modelling mojo back 

• 2 years later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, Jo NZ said:

Unobtanium will soon be producing a new engine, radiator and wheels - his 3d  Saturn printer is on it's way from China.

That's good news, I plan to build another one. I already have the wheels drawn in CAD and one more set available :)

file.php?id=1753262

• Like 2

Nick at Unobtainium has been developing a number of parts for the big Bentley as mentioned by Jo NZ.

Nick's wheels will differ a bit from yours as I believe that he is developing kits to assemble the wheels using real wire, like his Alfa wheel kits.

He has some interesting stuff for the Bentley in the pipeline that he is developing, but not aware of any photo etched parts yet,

It may be that he will be producing a full Bentley kit in 1/12th scale from 3D printed parts.     Watch this space!

• Like 1