Airbrush Pressure and diluted paint mixes

hammett98

Hi all,

Probably a basic question but one I haven't found an answer for so far, so hopefully someone can help me.

Ive been spraying 18 or so psi for my standard paint mixes of 50:50 paint to thinner. However, next step is to spray a 10:90 paint to thinner mix, so very highly diluted. Would I be right in saying I also need to reduce the psi at the same time? My reckoning is a thinner mix would just splatter if sprayed at too high a pressure. My primer is thicker and goes on at 30psi, so thats where my logic comes from.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Simon

First Simon need to know which paint you are using.

Actually there is an easy way by testing what happens. That always give you the answer needed.

Also depends on what you are airbrushing close in or say 150mm out. Plus the needle/nozzle size.

Laurie

Yes, the general rule is the thinner the paint, the lower the psi. For a 10/90 mix try around 10-12 psi although you could go even lower. Do a test to check that you're getting a clean spray and make any pressure adjustments as needed.

Also, at low pressures like this, don't pull the trigger back too far, as you'll get splatters very easily.

Andy:cat: