This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bullbasket

What was your first single and album.

What was the first single and album that you ever bought or someone bought for you. My interest started slap bang in he middle, or even the beginning of the Rock and Roll era. Having a brother nine years older than me, I was brought up on Gene Vincent, The Everly Brothers, Elvis etc. But my very first purchase was an ex jukebox 45 (the kind with the middle missing that you had to replace with a spider to be able to play it) that I bought from a kid at school for half a crown (Twelve and a half pence for those unfamiliar with £sd). It was Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley. My Mum was livid that I'd spent that much money on a record, especially as I didn't have a record player at the time.

My first album was titled Johnny and the Hurricanes by, appropriately enough, Johnny and the Hurricanes. It was their first album and contained a couple of their big hits, including Red River Rock.

Happy days.

John.

My first single was Kites, by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound, and first album was Electric Music for the mind and body by Country Joe and the fish.

50 years on, I have no idea why they were the first I bought, I can only conclude I must have seen Kites being performed on TOTP, and I must have heard a Country Joe track on John Peel's show.

I do remember my first cassette, which was the very first Now that's what I call music, and my first CD was 30 years of maximum R n B by the Who.

I held out until 1994 before buying a CD player, but when the 30 years box set was announced I had to bite the bullet.

To complete the firsts my first bootleg was the complete Live at Leeds bootleg. The whole show, including all the stage banter.

For my eight birthday (1986) I got a boombox with two tape decks on it. My dad bought me (himself, really) a Sting album, the one with "Russians" on it. That got the ball rolling for what would be a huge collection of tapes by any standard, but especially so for a a pre-teen kid. I think the first that I bought for myself with allowance money was Peter Gabriel's self-titled (Melty face cover) album. Other early tapes I remember were INXS "Kick", Led Zepplin's "In Through the Outdoor", a Kim Wilde album (?!?),  Pink Floyd's "Relics", B-52s, Rush, Van Halen...

I had the boombox set up on my desk, and I would build elaborate stages from Lego, and the lego dudes would perfom the albums (building Lego guitars took some ingenuity, and they always looked like Bo Diddley's square shaped thing :D). 

Man, I haven't thought about that in ages. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I really miss being a kid. 

First single would have been Kate Bush Wuthering Heights; first album was something by John Williams, the guitarist. Probably Bridges, with Cavatina. 

My first album bought for me was Paper Lace....... On a cooler note, my first cassette was the Star Wars soundtrack! 

Posted (edited)

The wonderful Mrs Wez has always said that I was too cool for school based upon my record collection.  The short answer to the question and why Mrs Wez says I'm too cool for school is my first single was the Sex Pistols Pretty Vacant, my first album the Clash by The Clash.  As she says, "You couldn't just have bought ABBA or the Wurzels like everyone else"?  This is always met with a robust NO!!

The long answer goes like this...

...My dad was an old rocker, my mum was ten years younger than my dad but had slightly more modern tastes, so it's thanks to them I listened to Elvis, Gene Vincent, Roy Orbison, Eddie Cochran, Otis Redding, the Four Tops, the Kinks, Small Faces, the Rolling Stones etc.  After my dad died when I was ten in the mid-seventies, music went out of the house for a bit, mum remarried and my stepdad brought a lot of soul music into the house, some of it was great, some of it wasn't, music wasn't doing anything for me.

Then two things happened, I got a paper round which meant I had my own money which coincided with my musical epiphany. 

Picture the scene, a small house on the Isle of Wight during the Silver Jubilee year 1977, there'd been all of the fuss in the national press about punk rock which had mostly passed the young Wez by, Top of the Pops was on and they played the promo video by the establishment's current bette noire, it was the Sex Pistols playing Pretty Vacant, a visceral spark had been lit.  Me and my mum both leapt up to the telly, she to turn it off, me to turn it up (no remote controls back then), I got there first and won, for three minutes or so my mum whacked me to try and get me away from the TV but she failed and the musical spark was lit in me, this was MY music and it spoke to ME.

The following day I went to Happy Daze record shop in Newport and bought the single of Pretty Vacant.  The ex hippy who ran the shop was now into punk himself, he asked me if I'd heard of the Clash?  No says I.  Well listen to this...   ...again I was hooked!  Two weeks later, paper round money in hand, I bought the Clash by The Clash.  I've been a lifelong Clash fan ever since!

Music has been a vitally important part of my life ever since, I still listen to punk as well as listening to the best of the stuff that my parents and step-dad introduced me to, I'm  not one of those who lives in the past though and says there's no decent music made today - utter piffle!  There's heaps of great stuff being made today, and as the Clash taught me, you just have to open your ears and most importantly your mind!

Edited by Wez

Album was daughter of Time - Colosseum

Single Witches Promise - Jethro Tull ( only ever bought about 10 singles, most of the stuff I liked wasn't  'Pop')

Never owned or collected Singles. The 1st album i ever bought with my own $ was Iron Maidens “Powerslave”.  

The first single I remember buying was The Monkees - A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You. I think my nan influenced me to buy that one. The first album I bought was The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It was 1970 and Let It Be was out with the book included, but a mate convinced me that Pepper was far superior. That it is, but I never got Let It Be with the book 😪

First Album was Ride a White Swan but T Rex. First Album I ever bought with my Credit Card was Live in Europe by Rory Gallagher and 40 years later it's still a firm favourite.

Duncan B

Gene Pitney - I'm gonna be strong, from a second hand shop, and Sgt Peppers from the local record shop. I still I have them both.

11 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

First Album was Ride a White Swan but T Rex. First Album I ever bought with my Credit Card was Live in Europe by Rory Gallagher and 40 years later it's still a firm favourite.

Duncan B

That was one of my first albums as well, bought just after I'd seen him at the Dome in Brighton ( ( 2nd or 3rd live concert after John Mayall & King Crimson?)

And yep also a firm favourite of mine, especially Messin With the Kid & Bullfrog blues…….loud of course!!!

Funny forgot about Rory for twenty odd years, great rediscovery tho!

( hence my nomenclature)

Ignoring the various "Music for Pleasure" items that were brought in to keep us kids amused - My first proper single bought for me by my parents was "Hellraiser" by The Sweet for my 7th birthday as I liked the riffage that was going on there.

First proper album purchased Christmas 1979 with a record token was "Days in Europa" by The Skids who were also the first band I went to see a few months later.

IanJ

First album was Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

My first single - as I usual didn't buy singles would have been Free with All Right Now (first time around!) I think    :shrug:

Hate Bullbasket now - hes made me feel that old :clif:  :D

First single was actually an EP of four songs by the Goons, including The Ying Tong Song and I'm Walking Backwards for Christmas; first LP was a 10" by Peter Sellers with gems like The Trumpet Volunteer and Balham - Gateway to the South on it.  ("We are now entering Old Balham. Time has passed by this remote corner - so shall we ...")

First single I bought for myself: If The Kids Are United by Sham 69. Don't judge, I was only twelve!

First album I bought for myself: Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

My first album came first, I was getting a record player for Christmas, so mum took me into a music shop to choose a record to play on it.  I didn't have a great knowledge of music at the time so I went with something I had heard a couple of songs on, Shakin' Stevens Greatest Hits...

My first single was a bit of a plan B for me.  Me and my mate had gone down town to Woolies to buy the Northern Ireland 1986 World Cup song, but they had sold out!  I thought I'd rather buy something else rather than return home empty handed, I chose Madonna's Who's That Girl.  I don't know why, I wasn't even a big fan of Madonna!

11 hours ago, JohnT said:

Hate Bullbasket now - hes made me feel that old :clif:  :D

How do you think I feel? I was an old man of 25 by the time Sounds of Silence came out.

My first single was by The Small Faces "Lazy Sunday" I bought it at dinner time at school and in the afternoon the music teacher played it to the class and went through it for us.

My first LP was for some strange reason was Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits which I cannot explain at all being a Beatles, Searchers, Hollies, Procol Harem, Moody Blues type of music person, mind you my big brother was a Beatles superfan so the house was full of Beatles records already.

Cheers

Dennis

Posted (edited)

Can't say I can remember the first single I bought or if there even was one. No I wasted my money buying model kits. In any case my parents didn't even own a record player and didn't like 'that pop music'. I think even Glenn Miller was a bit racy for them. 

So no records in the house until my younger sister became a teenager and demanded one in the early seventies. So an even then almost vintage box type record player was acquired. Stereo it was not. 

Naturally it was 'hers' so I didn't get much of a look in and I wasn't very welcome in the now requesitioned sitting room when her friends were over. 

But I think I remember my first LP. It was either Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre or Into the Blue by ELO. Although I might be misremembering the ELO LP. That might have been hers. I definitely bought Oxygene though. I got little enough use out of it though as it soon vanished whether nicked or Sis simply lent/gave it away in the absent minded way of hers. I think it was my last LP too as cassettes arrived soon thereafter. Much more practical. 

My first cassette album was I think, The Cars. I might even still have it somewhere. 

Edited by noelh

Posted (edited)

Hmmm. I believe first single was a 12" of Alison Moyet's "Is this love?" I have very few 7" singles, would either buy a 12" or not at all...

Album would be a 2nd hand Exceller 8 by Kraftwerk, but new I believe it was OMD's Dazzle Ships

Still prefer to buy vinyl even now..

Oh, as an extra the 1st video I bought was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Edited by Toe

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Into the Blue by ELO. Although I might be misremembering the ELO LP.

Slightly....it was Out of the Blue:).

Further to my original post, I've even till got a couple of 78's, one of which is by Elias and his Zigzag Jive Flutes, playing Tom Hark.

John.

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Slightly....it was Out of the Blue:).

Further to my original post, I've even till got a couple of 78's, one of which is by Elias and his Zigzag Jive Flutes, playing Tom Hark.

John.

Definitely misremembering then.😁 Our record player even had a 78 setting. But the only ones I ever saw were dumped in a field behind our house. I tried to rescue a couple but they were so brittle they fell apart in my hands. 

First single (1965, age 9) the all-too-predictable 'Help!' by the Beatles.

First album...later that same year...'Herman's Hermits.'

(First cassette tape...'Simon & Garfunkles' Greatest Hits,' 1972; first CD...Allman Bros. 'Decade of the Hits,' mid-'80s.)