Halifax repairs at Clifton Moor

AWFK10

Some interesting photos in the York Press today, courtesy of the Yorkshire Air Museum.  Particularly the second and fourth shots, of Halifax III MZ559 in the markings of 578 Sqn. I do wonder whether the first of these two photos was actually taken at Clifton, given the USAAF personnel (one complete with sidearm) and the likelihood of an aircraft that returned from operations in that condition being flown to the repair depot rather than being dismantled and sent by road. The second picture must show MZ559 after the rear fuselage of another Halifax had been grafted on and re-baptised. I would hazard a guess that these were part of a sequence of publicity shots illustrating how the depot returned this particular aircraft to service

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely the sight of an aircraft which has collected a free-falling bomb from another aircraft, passing through without detonating - not unheard-of by any means. Note that the upper surface skin is stoved inwards rather than outwards which would be the case if caused by, say, a heavy flak shell on an upward trajectory failing to detonate.

The landing was at Old Buckenham. The aircraft was evidently not showing too many signs of distress as they had intended to make it all the way home to Burn in North Yorkshire, the aircraft's normal base, but diverted due to poor weather -- hence the USAAF onlookers. Full account here:

http://www.578squadron.org.uk/squadron/bomb.html

Someone might well have flown it on to Clifton Moor later. I would have considered flying it, subject to inspection of the main longerons, and with a minimum crew and load. However, the more detailed account suggests that the replacement fuselage section was sent to Old Buck, and the work done there. Anything's possible, but I doubt that would have happened at a very busy USAAF base with enough maintenance and repair problems of its own to deal with.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

Some interesting photos in the York Press today, courtesy of the Yorkshire Air Museum.  Particularly the second and fourth shots, of Halifax III MZ559 in the markings of 578 Sqn. I do wonder whether the first of these two photos was actually taken at Clifton, given the USAAF personnel (one complete with sidearm) and the likelihood of an aircraft that returned from operations in that condition being flown to the repair depot rather than being dismantled and sent by road. The second picture must show MZ559 after the rear fuselage of another Halifax had been grafted on and re-baptised. I would hazard a guess that these were part of a sequence of publicity shots illustrating how the depot returned this particular aircraft to service

The link is not opening.

Chris