Fujimi F1M Pete

Friends,

This is the Fujimi F1M Pete floatplane.  I built this kit a number of years ago.  While this is the only biplane that I have ever built, I found the kit and subject to enjoyable and interesting.  I used E-Z Line for rigging which by now is much too thick for 72nd scale aircraft and has since been supplanted by other types such as Uschi and Infiniti brands.  I built this Pete straight out of the box and weathered and detailed it with pencils, paint, and pastels.  I decided to be a bit creative with the display base which I use for other WWII Japanese Navy types.  I`m guessing that the kit is a bit of a challenge to find anymore but I do recommend it.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Respectfully submitted,

Mike

IMG-7819.jpg

IMG-7820.jpg

IMG-7822.jpg

IMG-1999.jpg

IMG-7823.jpg

• Like 36

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Mike, I don't think the interplane rigging is too thick B) I've got this kit in the stash, hope it turns out as nicely as yours :) 

Cheers,

Steve ;) 

Thanks Stew, I couldn't have put it better. :D

Steve.

Good work, Mike!

I can only imagine how difficult it is to get the wings and rigging lined up straight.

The rigging itself looks totally acceptable for this scale, I believe.

That colorful display base adds the final note to this wonderful model kit.

Best greetings from Vienna!

A really great Pete! You don't see this nice plane too often, perhaps not many WWII Japanese model enthusiats like to rig??

Regarding the thickness of the wires: They don't look too thick, actually not at all, considering that the wires were not just holding the parts together but should support the wing spars by distributing the weight of the fuselage when aloft and of the wings when on the ground. That's why the flying wires (from upper wing to fuselage) were often stronger or duplicated.

Interwar and WWII aircraft were much heavier than WWI crates and needed heavy duty metal straps (often flat), a typical size being 1 cm x 2.5 cm which translates to 0.14 x 0.3 mm in 1/72.

Looking forward to your next Japanese build.

Well done!

I built this kit (didn't even attempt rigging) and indeed it is a delight. Bought it from a web shop a few years ago reasonably priced. 

What's not to like about a biplane floatplane?

Wow! Nice build! I agree with Roman that the base really sets off an already great model. Hope I can do as well with mine. I think yours is only the 2nd one I have seen built, as it seems to be a very good kit in the box with not much rigging.

Mike

Continued THANKS to Roman, Pat, Mike R, Mike ( 72 ), Tunguska, and Toryu.  Your comments are most welcomed by me.  

Toryu............excellent picture and synopsis regarding the rigging of the F1M.  With everyone`s comments and your picture, I guess that the EZ-Line was correct after all.  

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!! 😉

That's an excellent build of a really lovely kit!

I also have the Fujimi 1/72 kit in my stash, but it is still there - awaiting enough resolve to attempt biplane rigging!

When I do build it, if it turns out near as good as yours, I'll be a happy modeller.

:clap::goodjob:👍

This is my third attempt to post on this thread!!

Very well done Skykeg, beautifully finished 😎

Got this kit in the stash along with a few other Japanese float planes (in a scale that shall remain undisclosed). An endlessly fascinating subject, floatplanes, thanks for sharing your build.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:12 AM, Sky Keg said:

I used E-Z Line for rigging which by now is much too thick for 72nd scale aircraft and has since been supplanted by other types such as Uschi and Infiniti brands.

Very nice job on the Pete - I think you have captured the subtle weathering very well.

You would do well to check out some real biplanes. Your EZ Line is, if anything, a little thin! The others are good for aerial wires.

• Like 1