Dog Green Sector, Omaha beach. H-1

I read a book a number of years ago called the Bedford Boys, for those who have not read it. It's about a group of national Guardsmen from Bedford, Virginia, they were part of the 116 Infantry Regiment 29th Infantry Division. They were also the first wave on Dog Green Sector Omaha beach June 6th 1944, on a visit to Normandy last year I went to Omaha beach for the first time. While the rest of my group were in a cafe, I went down on the beach to get some 100% genuine Omaha beach sand for a build I had started the year before.

I used Italeri,s LCVP D-Day edition, various figures from Dragon and Masterbox with beach obstacles from Tamiya. There are various woodland scenics products used for the water.

Dog Green sector June 7th 1944

image.jpg

Dog Green Sector 75 years on

image.jpg

Some of the men from the Bedford Boys who didn't make it back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My build:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 26

What a fascinating, emotional basis for a diorama, and so well executed. How many people might look at it and say "My grandpa was one of those". I've been to Omaha twice and, as with all military cemeteries, it is a humbling experience and magnificently maintained.

P.S.: If you want to see a B26, go to the Utah Museum, there's a whole one there!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MR2Don said:

What a fascinating, emotional basis for a diorama, and so well executed. How many people might look at it and say "My grandpa was one of those". I've been to Omaha twice and, as with all military cemeteries, it is a humbling experience and magnificently maintained.

P.S.: If you want to see a B26, go to the Utah Museum, there's a whole one there!

Thanks MR2Don, 

I feel very privileged to be able to recreate my own piece of history, the Cemetery is a very moving place overlooking the beaches. 

Ive not been to Utah beach yet, as my trip was on a bicycle.

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Well done. Bravo!

A beautifully done tribute.

Thanks dnl42,

my first successful water attempt.

21 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job Ozzy.....

Thanks Vince,

ive just got to find some shelf space now.

• Haha 1

A scene with a lot of strength and intensity, how much work with so many figures, I would have gone completely crazy already ... lol, I only made 3 for my first vignette (result of the PzIV GB already finished), and that I have posted in this section in addition to the AFVs RFI, and it has cost me a lot to finish them.

Cheers Ozzy 👍

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

A scene with a lot of strength and intensity, how much work with so many figures, I would have gone completely crazy already ... lol, I only made 3 for my first vignette (result of the PzIV GB already finished), and that I have posted in this section in addition to the AFVs RFI, and it has cost me a lot to finish them.

Cheers Ozzy 👍

Thanks Francis,

there are a few figures, 36 altogether, 3 crew and 33 infantry figures. The chaps towards the back of the boat are the kits figures, the hardest bit was trying to make them all look slightly different. I must admit I do like doing figures as they really bring a scene to life.

Hi Ozzy. Absolutly superb scene. You have really captured the atmosphere. Very well done! And great to see something different too. :worthy: 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. Absolutly superb scene. You have really captured the atmosphere. Very well done! And great to see something different too. :worthy: 

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

the Masterbox figures have some good poses which give that sense of urgency, I’m really pleased with how the waters turned out. They say a change is as good as a rest, a really enjoyable project.

• Like 1

Great diorama, I've always wanted to do something like this but lacked the patience so hat off to you.  I like how you've packed so much action into a small space too.

I've read the book as well and nice touch paying your respects to the grave of those brave lads,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Great diorama, I've always wanted to do something like this but lacked the patience so hat off to you.  I like how you've packed so much action into a small space too.

I've read the book as well and nice touch paying your respects to the grave of those brave lads,

thanks Sanfrandragon,

its been an ambition of mine for a number of years to build a D-Day dioarama, I was lucky enough to visit Normandy with work over the past couple of years. The boat was relatively simple to put together, as I said in another post it was trying to make the figures looking different. There are a number of chaps in the boat with bags over there weapons, I didn't find all of them at Omaha. I think it was luck more than any planning, as they ar grouped together towards the bottom end of the cemetery.

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

PS the water deserves a mention all of its own!  Superb, and a tutorial would be most welcome!

It's my first big successful water effort.

below are the products I used:

image.jpg

firstly and the most important is to seal the base this is to stop any leakage, I painted the rear in a sea blue colour then pasted my sand and PVA glue mixture. Let that dry then used the woodlands scenics water (the bottle in the middle) and started pouring, a small covering first just to cover up he base let this dry to act as a sealant. Once I was happy I carried on pouring to fill up the base, this was left to dry. The product starts looking milky then drys clear, the pot on the left was the stuff for the waves. Woodland scenics do a wave product that is the same as what I used, this is a thick product a bit like cooking fat. I just followed the instructions to leave it at least 30 mins before moulding ( the larger the amount the longer I left it), the smaller waves at the front we good to mould at the 30 minute point. Then using some spatulas I shaped the waves then let to dry, there was a little shrinkage. Once it was all dry I dry brushed over the waves with a he paint on the right. 

I as watched this clip on waves:

hope it’s been helpful.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

This is stunning. The water effects are brilliant and very action packed, so like the way it takes a while for the eye to take in details. 

Thanks Muchmirth,

it was was my first water effect build, it was difficult to make the troops in the boat look different as there were 4 basic positions.