Dog Green Sector, Omaha beach

My first post in this section and my first successful water effect.

I read a book a number of years ago called the Bedford Boys, for those who have not read it. It's about a group of national Guardsmen from Bedford, Virginia, they were part of the 116 Infantry Regiment 29th Infantry Division. They were also the first wave on Dog Green Sector Omaha beach June 6th 1944, on a visit to Normandy last year I went to Omaha beach for the first time. While the rest of my group were in a cafe, I went down on the beach to get some 100% genuine Omaha beach sand for a build I had started the year before.

I used Italeri,s LCVP D-Day edition, various figures from Dragon and Masterbox with beach obstacles from Tamiya. There are various woodland scenics products used for the water.

Dog Green sector June 7th 1944

image.jpg

Dog Green Sector 75 years on

image.jpg

Some of the men from the Bedford Boys who didn't make it back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My build:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 33

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Well done!  :clap2:

Thanks John,

I appreciate your comment, I’m really pleased the way it’s all turned out.

9 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Brilliant project Ozzy and beautifully modelled brought to life with the backstory.

Thanks Steve,

who’d of thought you can buy models from Tesco’s? It’s been one of those enduring projects, really enjoyed the build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natter said:

Mega tribute Oz; Respect, to you and to your inspiration.

:poppy:

Thanks Dave,

hope your well, it’s all come together like an A-Team plan. The book is definitely worth a read, and a nice day to walk on the beach to take it all in.

40 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

what a great diorama - tip top

Thanks Gimme Shelter,

Before those boys hit the beach on D-Day, my Dad's ship, the minesweeper HMCS Cowichan , along with 3 other minesweepers, had cleared sea mines from the approaches to Omaha Beach.

33888238198_c9a3c1928f_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Before those boys hit the beach on D-Day, my Dad's ship, the minesweeper HMCS Cowichan , along with 3 other minesweepers, had cleared sea mines from the approaches to Omaha Beach.

33888238198_c9a3c1928f_b.jpg

Chris

Wow, thanks Chris.

Without your dads contribution to the invasion, there would be head stones above the cliffs.

Of the three other ships, one hit a mine. It didn't sink both managed to limp back across the Channel for repairs. There were a few killed who were down below.

Here's a page from his diary.

47767070641_b84f33ff3e_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Of the three other ships, one hit a mine. It didn't sink both managed to limp back across the Channel for repairs. There were a few killed who were down below.

Here's a page from his diary.

47767070641_b84f33ff3e_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks for shearing Chris, busy times in the build up. Good on your dad for keeping a diary, it’s something I did on my operation deployments. Something to help with history homework and pass on.

• Like 1

His diary was part of my inheritance. As the only one of his 3 children with an unending interest in WW2, I got a lot of his WW2 photos, too. While my siblings ( older brother, younger sister ) still live back in Eastern Canada ( my sister got the home place and my brother got a few acres about a mile away ) and inherited larger amounts of land ( 100+ acres ) I'm happy with what I have. That diary is quite precious to me. I have scanned the pages so I can look at it whenever I want without having to open the real pages.

Chris

• Like 1