Jaguar XJR-9

Hi Stuart,

I'm pretty sure that's an XJR-9 as it matches the decal pattern on the model.

The exhaust colour doesn't match, though I suspect that this is a later exhaust perhaps?

Thanks for the superb pictures. I may well be able to add some extra plumbing thanks to these pictures!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Stuart,

I'm pretty sure that's an XJR-9 as it matches the decal pattern on the model.

The exhaust colour doesn't match, though I suspect that this is a later exhaust perhaps?

Thanks for the superb pictures. I may well be able to add some extra plumbing thanks to these pictures!

Cheers,

Alan.

XJR 8 from the bodywork. I think this car is sometimes described as an 'XJR-8/9'.

Thanks for posting this topic, Alan.  I bought this kit about thirty years ago for a comp at work but entered something else in the end.  A little bit of paint was applied and the two halves f the engine block stuck together.  Other than finishing off the MGB the other month I’ve done no car modelling since a kid and never anything like this, so having your thread is a great guide.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Finally, an update. I can't believe that it's over a year since I did some work on this one.

I have been beavering away quietly in the background for some time, but couldn't be bothered to fire up the laptop until now.

Things got a bit busy lately, and I had lost the appetite for a while, but in the last three weeks I have got back the desire to do some more modelling.

So, here we go:

The shell was painted white, and I needed to paint the 'Lavender' colour around the base of the body. Part of the reason this stalled was the thought of having to mask the damn thing!

I recently bought some of the Tamiya narrow vinyl masking take and I tried that out. It seems to work really well around compound curves. 

y4mquaLaLxkVikif1B1_0-yElEjyYAZg3Htmf2dC

The picture is a bit blurred, and the complex curves don't really show up well.

y4mwuaKUBMGK8AoUT_g-BstF3T0O07z9lDhlEZGm

Sprayed with Tamiya TS-37, which after a couple of coats came up nice and shiny.

y4m1rwBQOX3KVEeo6s3abcSSIBbOnRhCDES7V4yr

Masking removed:

y4mWrLT0_IMR815t-moNkcPUopQKD_LWmpj89tTE

A couple of minor touch-ups needed, but otherwise fine.

y4mSJCOuko2nneVAgnuq4RrieM4DkwHczcZNzdb-

y4mOphf1p4dfQ10fPk0a-xISZfOCf16ufNoek8JB

I wasn't totally happy with the exhaust junctions , the plumbing is quite complex, so I had another go at filling and sanding.

I made my own version of Mr Dissolved Putty, It was a mixture of Mr White Putty and some cellulose thinners. I was then able to paint the 'goo' into the 'chasm', thus:

y4mazVbHYTLcVBLo7FL3QwaiEGOPMqVaL6RvHcN3

Bit of a mess at the moment. I left that for about 48 hours to completely cure before sanding back the filler.

y4mqwb-1hF2dNfpk-7EHi0KXICQKxPVAcD3wYwxt

y4mF-ZCgmushMG7cpZxuTFFcGv_0kooDIPCktIqb

It's a bit messy, but a vast improvement on the chasm that was originally there.

And, finally the rear spoiler, masked, sprayed and masking removed.

y4mYqZyjL-7f87y9DjKehjJb344rj3RPGBHnEz9O

There was a minor spot where the paint didn't cover (On the leading edge, of all places!)

A tiny blob of the paint on a micro-brush, carefully applied resolved that with no obvious 'lump'

That's all for the moment. More soon, I hope (Decal application...)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Morning All,

Only six months since my last update. I must be getting quicker!🤣

Anyway, this delay was caused by a combination of the winter months being too cold to do anything meaningful in the conservatory and a new kitchen being fitted with all of the stuff being stored in the garage and conservatory.

Consequently, all my stuff is in the loft at the moment!

Anyway some decalling progress was made:

y4mrJHE1Oi3LFYZ8FvzaTIlI0HqwdTD5FlGjSaC0

y4m-LnIsJcIi1kNEwT8aGSQaQdCIAXirLJF30dGy

y4miTR8y0RHxt3Zz7qTYROsalIqMD7qMhWfqALGB

The decals were extremely fragile and broke up in many places, as you can see.

The yellow decals were pretty thin as well, you can see some of the Lilac (?) colour bleeding through on the last image.

With some care, and a very fine brush (000 i think), i was able to touch up the damage. Not perfect, but acceptable. Was never going to be a show winner anyway. I'm just not skilled enough for a competition.

I do this for relaxation, I get enough stress with my day-job (Software engineer).

The yellow was an almost exact match for Tamiya flat yellow (XF-3) and the green of the striped matched Tamiya XF-5. Funny, that!

I can also see some overlap of white on the '2'. I'll deal with that later.

Still lots to do, but I think I have broken the back of this one.

The body needs to be clear coated. I might try some of the Mr Color clear coats. I've heard good things about this stuff. Maybe the UV stuff might be a good idea.

More soon (after the kitchen is finished!)

Cheers,

Alan.

I managed to 

Edited by Alan R
typo
  • Like 6