Tyrrell P-34

Hi All,

I'm on a roll at the moment. I have really found my enthusiasm again.

This is one that I have had for about 35 years, or there abouts.

It's been part built for a seriously long time.

I have built a few 1/20th Tamiya F1 cars over the years and have found them a challenging but rewarding build.

This one has been a bit more challenging the some of them ...

The box top:

y4mdJbjKWpj1kM8zLBO8lNhU8p9vOKl-VsCm1bD2

A truly bizarre but quite beautiful car. This was in the days of classic F1 cars, I think. The modern stuff looks a bit anodyne in comparison.

I had built the engine and transmission a long time ago, and that's where it stood for quite a while.

y4mPH9wGJNSMnB5dcxKLca4C57nBitqbbZhGWjHu

At some point in the past, the transmission fell off the engine, and disrupted the rear suspension somewhat.

Trying to re-assemble that caused a number of head-aches. The springs for example, were attached to the cylinder heads and the bottom suspension arms.

I attached the gear-box back on the engine, then attempted to thread the rear springs into the gap. This proved to be a problem, and caused me a bit of a head-ache, but in the end, I managed to get them fitted,

Them as I was manipulating the engine about, the stacks kept falling off!

The big problem however, was when I tried to attach the engine to the chassis. There is a small screw that taps into the engine block, holding the engine and chassis together, but also at the bottom was a small 'clip' that you had to put the block over and push down to lock it in place. Every time I tried to do that, one or more of the stacks would come off … again and again and again …. again.

Eventually, I removed the clip bit of the bottom pin, and araldited the block to the chassis and screwed in the screw on the top. After about 24 hours, the block doesn't seems to be going anywhere, and I can call that bit done.

So, this is where we have got:

y4mGxJv1bxcW6Xgx7n3k_M0gigVgMJO09--NesDx

y4maqScydFK6DR_9NyAjFPSWxez0xSVlWO8pLK8R

The back looks a bit skew. I'm blaming the camera. I think that the link rot from the anti-roll bar has come adrift yet again.

y4mE_eoqad3yhy3KmxKwbIRaYxHzjajAPNcAohGN

y4m13UMCKOizQZDLyddmBxCT96bY_zvF2f7XpfwQ

Again, as you can see, one of the stacks has fallen off!

I have fixed that.

So, on to the body. I had primed that a while back, and have got the initial colour on:

y4mnatdfKjh8A4Z951vj7y_a1DFJU5wcH4UkhGpE

I have cut the paint back a bit to remove any inevitable imperfections and it's ready for its second coat of Tyrrell blue. The ever brilliant Zero paints.

More to come.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Great story. I do remember seeing the 1976 version racing in the British GP at Brands Hatch.

My own only 1/20 Tamiya GP car was Alain Prost's 1982ish Renault Turbo. A similar tale of woe, ultimately ending in modelling disaster - just so fragile.  I really commend your dedication with this build, and wish you luck.  Following with huge interest.

• Like 1

Hi All,

This one needs to progress, but at the moment, finding time in the spray booth (Garage) seems to be quite difficult.

As soon as I can, I will update this.

Cheers, Alan.

Looking good Alan, how many builds do you have underway at present? I struggle with anything more than two, plus my very, very slow work on a “plank on frame” wooden ship build that is taking for ever. Good to hear about your renewed enthusiasm, I’m following with interest.

Regards Ian

• Like 1